Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 18th February 2007, 17:43   #1
SnowXNinja

Vista Home Premium - Enqueue As Default Does Not Work (Unlame Version)

My Hardware Configuration:
Dell Precision 490, Dual Core Xenon 3.0 GHZ, 2 GB 667 MHZ Ram. SATA 250 GB Drive. Video card is dual DVI NVidia Quadro FX 550. Just installed clean version of Vista Home Premium (Release), Then Installed Full Release Version of Office Professional 2007, Then Installed Winamp. Unchecked Agent and System Tray options during install (as i have always done without issue)

The Problem
Opened winamp, clicked on preferences --> File Types --> Checked 'Enqueue as Default', as i have been doing for the past 10 years or so with winamp. Checkbox appears to make no difference in bahavior in windows explorer, Play is still default action. I am new to vista and cannot find a 'file type behavior' like in XP, i can only find file type association.

Additionaly Information
I understand this is a problem with something that has worked for a long time, but i assure you that The problem is not between the keyboard and the chair.
SnowXNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 18:05   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

There's quite a number of known Vista-specific issues (I'll be adding these to the FAQ at some point soon), and I guess this is another issue which needs adding to the list...

Although Microsoft always used to discourage using regedit, I guess there's now no other way to manually edit filetype associations...

Start > Run > regedit

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell

Change the (Default) value in the right pane from 'Play' to 'Enqueue'

Repeat for:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\shell

Then go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\Enqueue\command

Make sure the (Default) value is set to:

"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /ADD "%1"

Repeat for:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\shell\Enqueue\command

[EDIT May 2008]

As of Winamp 5.53, different filetypes now have different descriptions, and therefore also have separate registry keys, e.g.

MP3 = HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.MP3

So you might now also have to manually edit all of those as well...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 02:18   #3
SnowXNinja

Thanks !
That worked perfectly, regedit appears the same in Vista as it does in XP.

Windows Key --> Type "Regedit" --> Press Enter

Thanks again,
SnowXNinja
SnowXNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 21:41   #4
katfuntt

Another method exists, without needing to use regedit. Uninstall winamp and reinstall using the following steps. Go to Control Panel (don't use classic view for this) > Programs > use an older program with this version of windows and then run the installer via the program compatibility wizard using XP settings (don't need to check any of the other boxes) and then follow the steps above. Works a treat!
katfuntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 11:48   #5
Mornach

Quote:
Originally posted by katfuntt
Another method exists, without needing to use regedit. Uninstall winamp and reinstall using the following steps. Go to Control Panel (don't use classic view for this) > Programs > use an older program with this version of windows and then run the installer via the program compatibility wizard using XP settings (don't need to check any of the other boxes) and then follow the steps above. Works a treat!
I can confirm that this solution works fine, tested with Winamp 5.35 on an Athlon64 machine with Windows Vista x64 Ultimate.

Can also give you an easier way to use this method, without going to the control panel: before install, right click the install file and select Properties. In the popup you'll find a compability tab where you check "Run this program in compability mode for" and make sure "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" is selected in the drop down menu. Then also check the "Run this program as administrator" and click "OK". Now start the installation and proceed as normal. Should do the trick

EDIT: The above solution may only add the shell integration to folders and not files in Windows Explorer. Here is a possible fix: during installation you should select to use shared settings or settings per user and NOT leave the default settings location. Also after install open Windows Explorer and locate any mp3 file. Right click it and click "Properties". Now change "Open with" to Winamp, this will probably still be Windows Media Player. Click "OK" to close all popups and right click the mp3 file again. Now the Winamp shell integration should show up. Repeat this with one file of all extentions you want Winamp to recognize (like .mpg, .ogg and more).

Last edited by Mornach; 4th August 2007 at 12:06.
Mornach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 15:31   #6
Asymptomatic

I had this same problem on Vista and the registry fix worked perfectly, thanks!
Asymptomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 16:32   #7
Skanky Burns

I too had this problem, followed the advice from katfuntt but alas enqueue still did not work. When checking regedit, the values matched those posted by DJ Egg exactly. Strange.

Quote:
Also after install open Windows Explorer and locate any mp3 file. Right click it and click "Properties". Now change "Open with" to Winamp, this will probably still be Windows Media Player.
My mp3 files were even set to open with Winamp by default. However, reselecting open with Winamp finally got this working for me as well. Huzzah! I guess I just had to convince Windows I really did want Winamp as default.

tl;dr version: This method works. Cheers.
Skanky Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 17:32   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Old thread....

Open Winamp by right-clicking the Winamp shortcut icon,
and selecting "Run as administrator"

The settings in Winamp -> Prefs > File Types will now take effect
(file type associations, enqueue as default, folder context menus, etc).
Old 28th March 2008, 05:08   #9
Bikkusu

I just installed the new version of Winamp (5.53) and all the settings reverted to Open & Play rather than Enqueue. I've gone through the guides here but it still doesn't work.
Bikkusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 09:50   #10
coldness

I too am experiencing the exact same problem, anyone solve this yet?
coldness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 13:19   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Old thread....

Open Winamp by right-clicking the Winamp shortcut icon,
and selecting "Run as administrator"

The settings in Winamp -> Prefs > File Types will now take effect
(file type associations, enqueue as default, folder context menus, etc).
Old 11th June 2008, 14:14   #12
coldness

do i have to restart first? doing that did nothing for me.
Old 11th June 2008, 14:33   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

You shouldn't need to, though you might have to close & reopen the music folder in Explorer.

If the problem persists, zip up and attach your "List Of Plugins" and HijackThis logs:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs

and make a screenshot of what your current context menu looks like.

I assume you closed Winamp before re-opening it in admin mode, yes?

[edit] or ignore me... the choice is yours [/edit]
Old 11th June 2008, 20:35   #14
coldness

restarting has no effect even after running it as an administrator.
Old 12th June 2008, 11:27   #15
coldness

i've noticed something weird with mine, it seems that EVERYTHING i associate with winamp except mp3 files and m3u files have the enqueue and all that in the shell for right click context menu.
Old 14th June 2008, 09:42   #16
mrgrotey

Thanks!

Just registered to say thanks for the very quick registry method worked a treat!

sooo.....Thanks!
mrgrotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 18:22   #17
hutera

Well….I think if you wait for some more time… you can get a lot better suggestions that this…I am out of any ideas for this!!!!
hutera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 03:16   #18
greymole

Just set up my computer the other day:
Format HDD, install windows vista SP1 and then did all updates.
Installed winamp 5.531 and the "enqueue on double click in explorer" just cleared the playlist and added the file I double clicked.
I read this post, and did the following...
1) Right click winamp shortcut and select "run as admin"
2) Went to options->prefs->file types
3) The enqueue on 2x click was checked.
4) Went to my music folder and double clicked an mp3 file
5) A new winamp started (so now there are two running at the same time
6) 2x clicked another mp3 and it started enqueue-ing in the second winamp that started up.
7) I closed both winamp programs
8) Started winamp normally by clicking the shortcut.
9) Now double clicking MP3's in my folders will enqueue to the play list
greymole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 20:53   #19
aamp

Explorer Menu Control Winamp

Run Winamp\Preferences\File Types\ShellOptions an then first enqueue in Winamp.
aamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 00:26   #20
zachdms

Send a message via AIM to zachdms
Shouldn't this particular dialog be prompting for elevation? That'd be one way to handle trying to write privileged keys as a non-admin.
zachdms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 02:02   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Changes made in Prefs -> File Types is meant to prompt for elevation.
Or at least I get the UAC prompt here anyway.

Assuming you installed Winamp the conventional way, i.e. by running the installer and not by manually extracting files with 7Zip, then Elevator.exe and elevatorps.dll should be in the Winamp program folder, and will have both been registered by the installer.

Maybe you had some security app running which blocked the installer from writing to the registry?

Start -> Programs -> Accessories
Right-click "Command Prompt"
Click "Run as administrator"

Type in the following, hitting Enter after each line:

"C:\Program Files\Winamp\elevator.exe" /RegServer

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Winamp\elevatorps.dll"

(naturally, type in the correct path to winamp.exe if different to the default one)

Note that the "Prefs -> File Types -> Shell Options" page is added by the Jump To File Extra plugin (gen_jumpex.dll), and I'm not 100% certain if that uses the elevator yet, or not.... though it should still work okay if running Winamp in admin mode.

You could additionally also try giving Winamp "Full control" in winamp.exe -> Properties -> Security tab
(maybe "Write" permissions have been blocked for you, or something?)
Old 9th October 2011, 20:27   #22
stopasking
Banned

SOLUTION: RE- Winamp enqueue as default!

SOLUTION:
1. Uninstall winamp
2. Install CCleaner (run 3-4 times to scan/clean the registry)
3. Reinstall winamp
4. Enqueue by double click option should now work.

DETAILS:
I had this problem on windows XP and tried to edit the registry as shown above but it still had Play In Winamp as the default option (even though the registry values were set to enqueue).

I fixed this by first uninstalling winamp, but since it also leaves behind many many registry keys and associations I ran a program called CCleaner (specifically for it's registry cleaning feature) and it removed all the dead winamp registry keys. (Must run CCleaner scan 3-4 times to make sure it finds everything.)

After all registry keys are removed, reinstall winamp and it should now make the appropriate association and enqueue as default.
stopasking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 02:13   #23
krayola

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopasking View Post
SOLUTION:
1. Uninstall winamp
2. Install CCleaner (run 3-4 times to scan/clean the registry)
3. Reinstall winamp
4. Enqueue by double click option should now work.

DETAILS:
I had this problem on windows XP and tried to edit the registry as shown above but it still had Play In Winamp as the default option (even though the registry values were set to enqueue).

I fixed this by first uninstalling winamp, but since it also leaves behind many many registry keys and associations I ran a program called CCleaner (specifically for it's registry cleaning feature) and it removed all the dead winamp registry keys. (Must run CCleaner scan 3-4 times to make sure it finds everything.)

After all registry keys are removed, reinstall winamp and it should now make the appropriate association and enqueue as default.
XP user here... if things still don't work after this, add the following steps:

1) right click file, 2) open with, 3) choose program, 4) select some other media player, like itunes or something, 5) check box for "always use the selected program to open this kind of file", 6) OK

repeat the steps again, but select winamp in step 4)

i was having this same frustrating problem. stopasking's post put me on the right track, but i had to experiment a little further
krayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports