Old 24th February 2009, 12:51   #1
tvicious

.oga files are skipped and cannot be played

*.oga files are skipped when adding directory to playlist. It is possible to add .oga file to playlist using drag-and-drop, but it is impossible to play that file. After changing file extension from oga to ogg, everything is ok. It can be added to playlist and played. I think .ogg extension is deprecated in favor of .oga for audio files. Please see http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_...ile_Extensions and http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIMETypesCodecs.
tvicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 13:49   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
.oga - audio/ogg
  • Ogg Audio Profile (audio in Ogg container)
  • Applications supporting .oga, .ogv SHOULD support decoding from muxed Ogg streams
  • Covers Ogg FLAC, Ghost, and OggPCM
  • Although they share the same MIME type, Vorbis and Speex use different file extensions.
  • SHOULD contain a Skeleton logical bitstream.
  • Vorbis and Speex may use .oga, but it is not the prefered method of distributing these files because of backwards-compatibility issues.
If your .oga files play after renaming to .ogg they're Vorbis files which shouldn't be called .oga in the first place.

So far .oga is only recommended for formats nobody uses anyway (note: it says Ogg FLAC (FLAC in an ogg container), not regular flac files).

[anal]And even if you disagree it would still only be a missing feature, not a bug.[/anal]
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 23:57   #3
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
.oga is the xiph foundation's silly new recommendation for audio-only OGG files. If in_vorbis had the ability to add extra file extensions (like most other input plugins) then you could simply add oga to it.

See: http://xiph.org/press/2007/balance-of-2007/ 6th paragraph and tvicious also has relevant links.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 00:06   #4
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Darnley
.oga is the xiph foundation's silly new recommendation for audio-only OGG files except Vorbis.
As can be seen in the part I quoted from one of tvicious' links (and the last sentence of paragraph 6 from yours).
Old 28th February 2009, 11:41   #5
qube

+1
I would like this to be added as for example Sound Juicer (linux ripping & encoding sw) already generates oga files by default.

Tried Winamp 5.55 and support for oga is still not there.

gaekwad2:
Quote:
If your .oga files play after renaming to .ogg they're Vorbis files which shouldn't be called .oga in the first place.
I don't think so. It seems to me that it is just normal "ogg" with only audio stream.

Quote:
So far .oga is only recommended for formats nobody uses anyway (note: it says Ogg FLAC (FLAC in an ogg container), not regular flac files).
Yes, it is recommanded for Ogg FLAC, Ghost, and OggPCM now, but it will be recommanded for Vorbis in future too. As you can see from .ogg extension description, they are planning to change RFC 3534 accordingly and they say, .ogg is there now just for backward compatibility.

Sorry for long post, but I think it is a good idea to support it ASAP. Thanks.
qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 14:16   #6
gaekwad2
Foorum King

So Xiph expect all hardware devices to magically support their new file extension?

Or have they given up trying to get more hardware support for Vorbis (in favor of that vaporware Ghost probably)?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports