Old 12th January 2004, 22:43   #41
xenosomething
Major Dude

photoshop has vectors also(line tool, circle tool etc) that can be altered with the pen tools to make your outlines.

....you should give it a try.

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2004, 23:52   #42
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
i'm not ignoring you, i'm thinking of ways to fix the kbs and scrolling text stuff.

/edit

AH HA!

pic to follow...
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2004, 00:17   #43
tydogg

For some reason, I am unable to make things look right using the vectors in ps. I think its because I sort of made up weird ways of doing things. Which parts did you think look bad? I dont want any jaggies or anything, and would like some criticism

and I'm excited now dlink, cause I really don't like the khz/kbps

You thought I was dead, didn't you?
tydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2004, 00:31   #44
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
perhaps just a giant bar going over everything? idk. this looks like shit, but it gives you a basic idea i think. you'd make it more 3d and make the border not suck so much ass, and the display (yellow) was made w/o antialias (oops) so i added an outer glow to it, but it looks like sheite too, but yea, general idea here. general idea. you could colour the vis to make it look like it wrapping around the bar, idk.
Attached Images
File Type: png slowegoing[1] copy.png (51.2 KB, 171 views)
Old 13th January 2004, 01:23   #45
xenosomething
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by tydogg
Which parts did you think look bad? I dont want any jaggies or anything, and would like some criticism
none....you said you were going very slow, so i figured you could speed it up by using vectors.

take a look at the pic attached for a basic vector outline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vector stroke.jpg (70.3 KB, 163 views)

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2004, 01:50   #46
tydogg

xeno: Cool. I know how to use vectors, and have before, but when I do, I can never make the shapes look right. The reason I'm going slow is because I change my mind every half hour and scrap what I just did. I'm kind of crazy like that...

dlink: that would work better for my vol/bal, and text scroll etc. but then my vis would be hard to work with and the "eyes" would be covered up, and I think they are cool.

Thanks, both of you

Old 13th January 2004, 03:45   #47
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
xeno: Cool. I know how to use vectors, and have before, but when I do, I can never make the shapes look right. The reason I'm going slow is because I change my mind every half hour and scrap what I just did. I'm kind of crazy like that...

dlink: that would work better for my vol/bal, and text scroll etc. but then my vis would be hard to work with and the "eyes" would be covered up, and I think they are cool.
I thruw it together real quick and didn't pay much attention to the size. You could make it haev more "holes" are re-shape it so the eyes fit, or even mayeb have it blend in with the main part!!!!! pic to follow!
Old 13th January 2004, 04:17   #48
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

ok, here is the first idea im not particulaly fond of it though. basicly I made a BG which blends the bottom and top parts like you want, but I stertch it out the whole way. I will show it without the ugly bar in a bit. Then I added a glowyish type box for the text and numbers. As you can see the vis fits under the turquise parts, so you won't have to change that @ all.
Attached Images
File Type: png slowegoing[1] copy.png (52.7 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by dlinkwit27; 13th January 2004 at 04:40.
Old 13th January 2004, 04:20   #49
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

here is my second idea. What I haev is still the ugly yellow box, but instead of boxes for the kbs and whatnot, I moved the lights up and you can have the numbers show up inside the lights. Most likely you will need to re-do the lights, but you get the general idea. Personalyl I don't think this is that bad looking, and it solves your problem (i think)
Attached Images
File Type: png slowegoing[2] copy.png (53.8 KB, 135 views)
Old 13th January 2004, 04:39   #50
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

this is the blending without anything on top of it except for the new light arrangement. You can still see that the vis is not interupted, neither is the EQ/PL mono/stero area. The volume area is completly covered, but what I was thinking is that you could have the middle lights (since they won't have any numbers in them) change colour or light up or something as the volume increases.

Balance is a problem though, because the left ~25% is covered, but what you COULD do is what i show, and have text with an arrow on the right side of the bar. The arrows coudl fade out as it gets to the middle or whatever u want. As it is shown, it fits inside the bar just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: png slowegoing[3].png (52.4 KB, 145 views)
Old 13th January 2004, 04:42   #51
tydogg

Well I must say I dont really like the first one, because they are so unevenly placed (my fault) but i like the second. Problem is the khz/kps have to be on the same background as the text, and it wont fit in the lights. I know because they were originally there, and had to be moved. I will try it, and see how it goes. Thanks, dlinkwit

Old 13th January 2004, 04:48   #52
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

I just had this idea for the scrolling text and number problem...it still doesn't look great, but it looks better than the ugly box I think. Useing the lights from the bottom, you could make a sort of light beam type thinging and have the text go across like that maybe?

just an idea.

/edit

no worries, i didn't like the first one @ all either
for this idea though, since the numbers have to be on the same BG as the text, you could change the colour from pink to yellow.

also, why wont they fit in the lights? If you made the light big enough i don't see why it wouldn't
Attached Images
File Type: png slowegoing[4] copy.png (54.7 KB, 141 views)
Old 13th January 2004, 04:54   #53
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

I re-saved it as a main and stuck it in over my skin, and if you move the lights slightly, they look to me like they'd fit. Yoou may have to make the lights a bit bigger, but I don't see why it wouldn't work
Attached Images
File Type: png main copy.png (32.9 KB, 134 views)
Old 13th January 2004, 04:58   #54
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

you could even do something like this with some sort of holder and have three bigger lights going: numbers, volume, numbers the black of course, the holder, the white would be lights.

bed for me now though.
Attached Images
File Type: png main copy.png (50.7 KB, 143 views)
Old 13th January 2004, 06:01   #55
tydogg

I'm not sure I am explaining this well, but I think you get me; The khz and kbps would physically fit in the lights, but to make them look like they are inside the light without ruining its shape would mean the lights would have to be very big, and probably would interfere with the vis. I might have a go at the pink light bar as the top.
I sincerely appreciate your work; maybe next time I'll talk to you when I'm planning it out, because you are much better at making multiple solutions than I am.

Old 13th January 2004, 13:21   #56
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
I'm not sure I am explaining this well, but I think you get me; The khz and kbps would physically fit in the lights, but to make them look like they are inside the light without ruining its shape would mean the lights would have to be very big, and probably would interfere with the vis. I might have a go at the pink light bar as the top.
I see what you mean. Are you using skinner's atlas @ all? it is very helpful in knowing borders.

/edit
I just want you to know, btw, that I am not trying to take over your skin or anything. I just really like problem solving, and I like skinning, and I really like this skin, so i really like tryign to figure out ways to make this skin work. It's fun for me, not work, so that is why I am doing all this. I just wanted to let you know that I didn't expect any credit on the skin or anythign weird like that.

Last edited by dlinkwit27; 13th January 2004 at 15:28.
Old 13th January 2004, 18:21   #57
caz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to caz
If you did try the light beam, and made it pink like it is there, then you would have to change the colour of the lights also, as the khz kbps displays are always the same colour as the text scroller.

why not try something like this. (this is a quick go at doing it, but you get the idea)

Looking forward to seeing how you intergrate the cbuttons ^^ I also really like the pl buttons.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1.gif (36.0 KB, 171 views)

caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2004, 22:12   #58
tydogg

I totally understand about you liking to solve problems, cause I like doing that too, dlink, no worries. That actually looks cool with the sort of nosepiece, caz, though I dont know how it's going to work with my volume. Give me some time to play around with it and work on the eq. Thanks to everyone on here who's helping me out, you guys are awesome

Old 17th January 2004, 00:40   #59
tydogg

I thought I'd post what I have so far, since I leave for 3 months in France on Sunday, and won't have a chance to work on it for awhile. I tried what caz suggested, it's basically what dlink suggested while ago with the addition of a sort of nose piece, and I think it looks okay. Still something wrong with it though..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skinnn.jpg (84.7 KB, 175 views)
Old 17th January 2004, 03:19   #60
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Try to make it more obvious that the text strip is "in front" of the ... big metal thing, because right now it looks as if it's cut into it, which is a bit strange.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2004, 04:39   #61
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

a slight drop shadow maybe?
Old 17th January 2004, 08:39   #62
tydogg

The problem is, its supposed to be cut into it. The whole central piece is supposed to be one, with the text cut in. Obviously, its not clear right now, so I'll change that

Old 17th January 2004, 18:23   #63
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
I know the big metal thing is supposed to be one peice, and the "cut-in" nature of the text makes it look like it's cut. If the text were all the way in front, it might make the illusion of a solid metal thing behind it a bit more clear. IMHO anyway.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 16:40   #64
Skins

Send a message via AIM to Skins Send a message via Yahoo to Skins
Wow...thats great. It looks good to me.
Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2004, 20:21   #65
dimichan
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dimichan
WOW - I love where this is going - see what I miss when I'm gone a few months???
dimichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2004, 14:04   #66
tydogg

Okay, I'm in France now, where my access to a computer with photoshop is going to be a bit limited, so post what you think and I'll work on it when I can.
Old 23rd January 2004, 00:50   #67
Malifor

looks great. a very differnent skin, cant wait till its finished.
have fun in france
Malifor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 01:24   #68
tydogg

You thought I had quit, didn't you? I'm going to have this comp for the next few days (yay!), does anyone have anything to say about the eq? I'm stuck on it, as usual. I've changed the main quite a bit, but I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skinprogress.jpg (36.0 KB, 165 views)

Old 25th March 2004, 01:43   #69
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Hooray! I like the gradients in the sliders.
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 04:40   #70
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

w00t! progress!
Old 24th April 2004, 10:09   #71
tydogg

I'm back from the crazy country of France, and with my trusty tablet, I've got lots of stuff done, including animations (yay). I cant show you them because I'm planning on entering the GUI Olympics with this one if I can finish in time. Mostly I'm looking for what individual things look bad, and name suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backinblue.jpg (84.7 KB, 143 views)

Old 24th April 2004, 20:54   #72
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Very impressive. My main issue is how the surface in the playlist that has the menus on it doesn't reach the right edge. It looks weird.
Old 24th April 2004, 20:54   #73
HaloHQ

Nice! Cant wait till ya finish it. I hope you end up labling more of the buttons, like the play/stop/pause, and the playlist buttons.
HaloHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2004, 04:40   #74
tydogg

Sorry HaloHQ, I'm not planning on labelling the buttons more than that.
Flatmatt: it was pretty ugly, huh? I think this looks alright, now. Any name ideas?

Old 25th April 2004, 04:43   #75
tydogg

Heh, heh, oops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playlist.jpg (26.2 KB, 130 views)

Old 25th April 2004, 06:04   #76
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

I think it would look a bit nicer if the right and left buttons in the playlsit curved into the border. Right now they just looked chopped off and rushed. They, imho, kinda kill the skin.
Old 25th April 2004, 07:04   #77
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Much better, though I'd be interested in seeing something like dlink's suggestion.
Old 25th April 2004, 11:53   #78
tydogg

I dont think I get what you mean, dlink. Could you do a quick example maybe?

Old 27th April 2004, 23:28   #79
caz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to caz
I think he means something like this, of course you could do the placing of the bottom lights yourself a lot better, this is just an example ;P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mod.jpg (18.8 KB, 128 views)

caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 00:06   #80
tydogg

That's what I thought he meant, thanks caz. Problem is the placement of the buttons. I can try something, thanks guys.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins