Old 4th January 2012, 04:21   #3281
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
Agreed. However, for some it is an expensive device that gives that extra little bit of motivation that the individual is lacking to get started and/or the extra bit of motivation to keep it up. That second part is where my wife and I generally fail.

Sure, we will be good about something for a few months, then it starts to fade ...
at least personally, if i can get my roommate to go with me it helps more than you think being motivated to go on a daily bike ride.

@ Ted, how much did you wind up spending total on it?
i'm sure it's much more than your mother will need but.... well...frankly i'm having trouble believing you didn't just buy a pre-assembled one, you left a few pieces of bloat as well as your post indicates.
hoping you got an awesome deal on it.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Old 4th January 2012, 14:42   #3282
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Just bought NetFlix. I get Hulu+ for free from a friend. Canceled my cable TV, keeping just the internet. Going to get a good DOCSIS 3 modem this payday and upgrade to 20 megabit internet.

Old 4th January 2012, 23:53   #3283
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
at least personally, if i can get my roommate to go with me it helps more than you think being motivated to go on a daily bike ride.
Oh, I could imagine. Have more involved always helps because the chances of you both being unmotivated on the same day are smaller than alone.

I guess I should rephrase that to my wife and I get too busy and tend to allow it to drop somewhat easily. Hopefully this will help with that

As my wife and I are currently living apart from one another, I ordered myself one a few days ago ... should come tomorrow.
Old 5th January 2012, 00:43   #3284
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
^nice. I used to do no cable TV and all internet before I was married. I would go back to that setup in a heartbeat, except I guess I like my wife too much. Cable TV really is a ripoff if you're not a fan of live sports, which I'm not (I'd rather be playing or coaching). Everything one would need is online if you ask me. I used to have a nice 20 connection back in IA, but there's nothing like that here.

I'd love to have that again. I'd never miss cable TV.

@TDM: Thanks for the comment. Yeah, the bloat was included and not removable prior to delivery. I had to spend a lot of time removing it upon arrival. It was basically a machine that I would put between "pre-assembled" and "I assemble". It was more "assembled-to-order". When I get a computer for myself, I just order all components separately, but given my limited time and other circumstances, I just got a Dell, especially after a long list of recommendations by the boys over in [H]ard Forums on my thread there.

Living so far away, I wanted to have a computer where she could get in-home support if she ever needed it, and Dell still does pretty well in that way, if you're willing to pay for it.

The total cost came in three amounts (first bill: tower/mouse/kybd/OS/software, second bill: monitor, third bill: web cam) which added up to I think somewhere between $1.1 and 1.2K. Sounds expensive for all I got, but I have to admit, a lot of that was the support plan and the legit OS and software.

My 76-year-old dad still can't believe that I can just type in any jazz artist into a youtube search and get instant free music, where normally he had to search countless vintage record stores and spend a lot of time and money in order to hear his specific types of music. He's pretty happy that it's easier by orders of magnitude now. The old P3 computer couldn't handle youtube, so I couldn't do that for him. This new one handles HD instantly with their bandwidth and new computer.

It can even stream netflix and is hooked up to the living room TV. No more mailing DVDs for them.

None of this seems exciting to techno-geeks like us, but to them, this new computer is like the invention of the wheel.

As far as the motivation to exercise, you're right; nothing works better than having someone to exercise with you. In high school and in the first 2 years of college, the only reason I was a good distance runner was because an extremely un-ugly gal asked me to run with her every morning. Even charlie-horses during bad weather seemed like good times when I could just stare at her while trying to keep up.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 5th January 2012, 05:05   #3285
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
My 76-year-old dad still can't believe that I can just type in any jazz artist into a youtube search
I think that's pretty amazing too. It's only been a few years since you went to the record or video store instead of punching a button.

It hasn't been that long since computers wouldn't play a video. It probably was 2000 or so before most computers could do it. I remember my mid 90's Pentium 75. It would actually play indeo video and could decode an MP3.

Maybe being older gives you a different perspective, but I think it's pretty amazing too. If someone handed you an ipad ten years ago, you would have been astonished.

One thing I think is really cool is the $50 Roku box . For old folks that never used a computer, it's a no brainer. They have used a remote before.

I like the dead simple UI on Roku myself. Hulu Plus kinda sucks. It's too bloated. Netflix is easy peasy though

I know some old folks that are sharper than your average bear with a computer. I think it's more a matter of whether they wanted to learn to use computers or not. My mom was in the firmly not category. She'd had a stroke and was permanently baffled. Even she could figure out a Roku. My 80 year old aunt is a Mac fan boy. If it's Mac, she probably knows more about it than I do.

I like the dead simple UI myself. Hulu Plus kinda sucks. It's too bloated. Netflix is easy peasy though.

If you are driving your TV with a PC, running Boxee and finding a cheapo remote can be a good thing. For TV watching, I think it's probably preferable to limit the user interaction to a few buttons.
Old 5th January 2012, 07:12   #3286
CountToAMillion

A crisp packet..
Old 7th January 2012, 03:06   #3287
fc*uk

this so does not belong here ...

Topic: fitbit that monitors sleep patterns.

My wife is a physician that routinely gets called for trauma due do her specialty. She gets woken up in the night and more often than not, when that happens, she has to go back into work. Neither one of us are bitching about this; this is what she signed up for and she is more than happy doing it.

The point is: her seep efficiency is about 60%; you would expect something poor for a physician. She deals with it.

My sleep efficiency is 43%. I'm not a physician. I don't answer call. I don't operate in the middle of the night.

Halp meh?
Old 7th January 2012, 04:24   #3288
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Beer.

Lol, that was obviously a joke. Alcohol will get you to sleep fast but you won't get much rest from that type of sleep.

Things that sometimes help me:

Make the room as cold as you can but still be comfortable. For some reason warm/hot rooms do put me to sleep fast, but I don't get good quality sleep the way I do in rather cool rooms, or I end up waking up often, and when I wake up in the morning, I still feel tired if the room was warm. I have no clue why this helps me so much, but it seems to work very well for me to be cool at night.

Exercise, especially if your job doesn't force you to. Early in the evening is best if you can't at work, so you have time to unwind after. People can be mentally worn out while the body is still not yet spent enough to sleep well.

Divorce yourself from caffeine if you haven't already. It has the tendency to stick around in smaller amounts long after the big rush is over. It could cause your sleep to be less deep.

Reduce distractions and discomforts if possible. Whatever you need to do to unwind and get rid of stressors... Sometimes a stressful day leads my mind to think too much about it all. I start to even think about other unrelated stressors in a pessimistic way. The thoughts fly uncontrollably around my brain like insects around a security light at night if I don't take the time to unwind and move my mind away from it all.

Fuck. Really. Fuck. I know I already mentioned exercise, but it seems that going straight to total knockout REM-style dreamworld sleep can happen very quickly after orgasm if you ask me. Plus it's great at replacing stress with euphoria.

Also, check your meds if applicable. Side effects of some medicines can really mess with sleep. Finally, check the sleeping environment for the presence of allergens which could cause your respiratory system to work harder than it should while you're in bed.

That's about the best I can do off the top of my head without doing a lot of research. Those things don't always help, but sometimes they do.

Old 8th January 2012, 05:32   #3289
rockouthippie
Banned

The main problem I see people have....

when you go to bed... go to sleep... turn TV and radios off, lights out.... Warm milk is good. Add a couple Benadryl. I have allergies anyway, and if I take a couple Benadryl not only do I sleep better, usually my allergies the next day are better w/o any more meds. The sleepy part of the Benadryl has worn out by morning, but the anti-allergy effect seems to hang in there.

One thing I think is important for couples. You ought to have an extra bed in case one of you wants to sleep by yourself. Nobody wants to sleep with snoring people with a bad cold. You might not want a cuddle with the flu. You might just be really dog tired and not want to be woke up. She might be the same.

Never sleep in the other room because you're fighting though. That shit should always get solved before you go to bed.
Old 8th January 2012, 14:20   #3290
fc*uk

The sad thing here is I have nearly done all of the things the two of you mentioned.

The room is cold (64F).
I walk my dog for about an hour three to four hours before I go to bed. The walk is not slow either; when I tracked it with my iPhone gps I believe the average pace was 4 mph.

The only caffeine I drink is two cups of coffee in the morning at work; I start work at 6 am.

Sex is hard right now due to my wife and I living apart; unless my dog is willing

Luckily, I'm not on any meds...

No TV, radio, or any other toy in the bedroom.

Could drug myself to sleep. I ought to do that one night and see if it improves.
Old 8th January 2012, 14:35   #3291
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Uh...I'd leave the dog alone...that way....
Get a script for sleep...use for only five days..but do it for five days straight.You will cycle in to sleeping.
It's horrible to go days without good sleep the world gets really strange...brrrrrrrrrr
Old 8th January 2012, 14:54   #3292
fc*uk

Oh, there is no hope for me. The crazies already have me!

Good idea about the sleeping pills. I was put on them before about 4 years ago for a week or two to help get me back into a groove... Funny how I entirely forgot about that until you suggested it ...
Old 8th January 2012, 15:09   #3293
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Get Dalmane, if you can. It's serious sleep meds, so no booze.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000558/ < Link
Old 8th January 2012, 15:29   #3294
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
A crock pot. I've never tried making something in a slow cooker before, but I got something going a few hours ago and I'll report back on how it goes.

As an aside, I can't stand it when cookbooks artificially deflate prep time by listing the ingredients as "one onion, chopped; 4 cloves garlic, minced; 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces", as if things are sold that way and you don't have to spend time before cooking cutting up everything.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 8th January 2012, 15:34   #3295
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_rock923 View Post
As an aside, I can't stand it when cookbooks artificially deflate prep time by listing the ingredients as "one onion, chopped; 4 cloves garlic, minced; 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces", as if things are sold that way and you don't have to spend time before cooking cutting up everything.

What were you thinking of making?
Old 8th January 2012, 16:06   #3296
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

It was this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/southwe...ite-bean-soup/

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 8th January 2012, 17:52   #3297
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
Get Dalmane, if you can. It's serious sleep meds, so no booze.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000558/ < Link
Sounds similar to what I was put on before (ambien), which pissed me off due to the bad after taste in your mouth the next morning. Worked though.

Soup looks good krock.
Old 9th January 2012, 09:17   #3298
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Sex is hard right now due to my wife and I living apart; unless my dog is willing .
you've got two hands and an internet connection, obviously - what more needs to be explained?

then again.... i'm always second guessing giving sex as a sleep aid advice, some people like ted and probably a lot of others me included get just about knocked out afterwards but.... well.. some people just go completely the other way afterwards too all jumping on the bed hyper and stuff.

honestly? i think the best sleep advice i can possibly think of is:
don't set yourself a bedtime, stay up as late as you like doing whatever the hell you feel like, sleep doesn't knock quietly and also possibly try to avoid naps.

Old 9th January 2012, 23:05   #3299
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Today I have bought a new simple handy (without mp3-player, camera or internet) for 19 Euro at "Media Markt Berlin", after our old handy had died last November...
I haven't 400-500 Euro for a Samsung Galaxy S II and a 32-GB-micro-SD-card now, and a second flatrate would cost 29 Euro per month. Maybe in some years (or never) I could buy one, I don't know...
PS, I use only "real headphones", because I hate these in-earphones, since I was a little child. But portable music player are only sold together with these in-earphones and not together with "real headphones"...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Old 10th January 2012, 00:08   #3300
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
Sounds similar to what I was put on before (ambien), which pissed me off due to the bad after taste in your mouth the next morning. Worked though.

Soup looks good krock.
That was pretty good, although I found it kind of weird that the recipe called for cooking the chicken first. Came out alright though, and it the house smelled awesome all day, so that was a nice bonus.

Old 11th January 2012, 22:08   #3301
fc*uk

if you really get in the mood, you ought to take a crack at my cassoulet recipe that is posted in this thread.

Two days of pure heaven.

You will want to eat off your own leg before, during, and after making it.
Old 11th January 2012, 23:35   #3302
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

^Can you direct me to it? I didn't see it in a quick search.

Old 12th January 2012, 01:32   #3303
fc*uk

hmmmm ... maybe I never actually posted it.

I thought I had, but, like you, I was unable to find it as well.

Do note that the initial cost of this is a little high and some things can be hard to find; though I suspect due to your proximity to NYC you won't have too much of an issue. If you do have an issue, look to Lobels and just get a leg of lamb (that lamb shank is what you are going to have difficulty with). While you are at it, Lobel's fruit wood smoked bacon is to die for and if you really feel like splurging, go for their American Wagyu (I've got a great recipe for that; butter poached steak with a pinot noir/mushroom reduction sauce).

This cassoulet recipe makes enough to feed one person for nearly a month (one meal a day, which is how often I eat; for better or worse).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cassoulet.pdf (8.2 KB, 107 views)
Old 12th January 2012, 01:41   #3304
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Hey, thanks. I'll give that a shot next weekend (too much going on this weekend to even attempt).

If you didn't know, I live upstate these days, so I'm about 6 hours away from NYC. However, we do have Wegmans, which is a fantastic food store. Is this what I'm looking for? http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=372724

Also, I only have a 6.5 qt. cooker. This may require some tweaking. Thanks for the recipe! Looks great.

Old 12th January 2012, 12:54   #3305
fc*uk

your link will not load for me; 501 error.

As for the size of the slow cooker. I made this for a while in a 5 or 6 qt. slow cooker for years. It was a tight squeeze, but it worked out. You should have nothing to worry about.
Old 12th January 2012, 13:51   #3306
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

D'oh! Well, I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Old 14th January 2012, 22:01   #3307
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

So your assessment is pretty spot on so far. Day 1 has been cooking for about 4 hours now and I'm ready to gnaw my arm off.

Old 15th January 2012, 01:01   #3308
fc*uk

I hate to tell you this, but tomorrow is only going to be worse ...
Old 15th January 2012, 23:16   #3309
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
I hate to tell you this, but tomorrow is only going to be worse ...
So it turns out that today is way worse, but not for the same reason. I have the worst hangover I've had in about 5 years and have spent most of the day praying to the porcelain god and watching netflix.

However, I did manage to get the recipe finished and cooking this morning, fighting through awful nausea. Suffice to say that I won't be eating any for dinner tonight.

Old 16th January 2012, 01:15   #3310
fc*uk

oooof...

Sorry to hear. Hope you feel better.

Let me know what you think when the time comes...
Old 16th January 2012, 02:55   #3311
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Wow, sorry dude.

Sleep, maybe some milk/water, and don't ride in anyone's back seat.

That's about all I know to do if I feel nauseated. I haven't had a hangover like that for a lot of years, so I'm kinda out of practice I guess. If there's no noticeable improvement, go see a doctor.

What was the "weapon of choice" last night?

Old 16th January 2012, 03:11   #3312
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I'm feeling much better now, but I'm saving the dinner for tomorrow as I had already finished cooking and put it in the fridge by the time I felt better.

I couldn't keep anything down this morning, even water. Some tea and ginger ale finally settled my stomach. My body then had the realization of "hey, you haven't eaten anything since 6:00 yesterday" and I ate a ton - I almost went out for a plate.

The weapons of choice included (but may not be limited to), seven and seven, gin and tonic, some disgusting raspberry vodka drink that I finished for someone, disaronno, white wine and probably about 8 games of pong. It was a friend's birthday and apparently we decided it would be a good idea to drink like we were in college again. I at least had a good time, though.

What a waste of a Sunday.

Old 16th January 2012, 04:23   #3313
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

lol nice

I like the pong; haven't played that in ages. I'd probably suck at it if I tried now. Perhaps this summer I'll set up a table out at the camp if I remember.

Glad to hear you're better, and also glad to hear you're still getting out a lot. To me, there's nothing better.

Old 18th January 2012, 00:10   #3314
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I am really happy with how this turned out, fc*uk. Thanks for the recipe. I think I'll be eating it for a couple of weeks, due to just how much food it is.

Old 18th January 2012, 05:35   #3315
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Last thing bought was a lot of groceries; mostly usual stuff, but part of it was what you see below.

I just made a giant batch of something too, but it's nothing new for me. Chili yet again. This time it isn't real hot; I can't seem to find fresh peppers anywhere around here except green bell peppers, jalapenos, and banana peppers. Nothing else is for sale in this town; not even any other kind of chili peppers!

Before:

During:

After:

Old 18th January 2012, 15:44   #3316
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Nothing else is for sale in this town
If you have a Safeway talk to the store manager. They will generally get you anything you want.

When I used to live in a little town in Eastern Oregon, the Safeway inventory changed to something less redneck. It seems like cowpies liked gourmet coffee and fresh seafood too. This was about the littlest Safeway you ever saw... in an old quonset hut.

Another thing you should check out. Where you have a few thousand Mexicans, you usually have a Mexi-grocer. They'll have some peppers. There are two stores like that in town here. Most white people don't even know they are there.

One thing I like is Mexican soda. They aren't involved in sugar price supports, so their soda has real sugar and not corn sweetener. Mexican Coke is particularly tasty.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:54   #3317
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

yeah safeways are good like that, especially the tiny little podunk nowheresville town ones at that, they see the same customer once or twice nearly every week and they'll be willing to try to keep you.

far as peppers, i picked up a bottle of pickled jalapenos and a bottle of picked ghost peppers - the ones you see youtube horror story videos of a bit - but i'm still figuring out what it's going to take to open them, i don't think i'll be eating them alone like the jalapenos, that's for sure.

Old 18th January 2012, 23:43   #3318
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Today I have bought the new CD of the German label "Elux" (the old label-name is "Elektrolux"): Fous De La Mer - Reggatta de Bleu.
I always buy very good CDs in a big store in Berlin, without online-banking, far away from all these "Top Ten Pop". And I am currently sitting at a very good CD-Player...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Old 18th January 2012, 23:55   #3319
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

lol all you people from civilization...

Just to give you a better understanding, this is where I live. We're very lucky to have a store that isn't a pawn shop. We don't have "supermarkets" or traditional grocery stores. Our little market has next to nothing. The spices and canned goods I used were brought in from a couple-hour-away drive when I came back from holiday break. If I told the guy at the market here that I was interested in chili peppers, he'd laugh at me. Almost all of his customers pay with food stamp cards. We don't really have any Mexicans or much diversity here that I know of.

Probably the best thing to do is plan ahead better when I'm out of town. I do have access to pretty good places when I'm away, but that still makes me feel a bit guilty because my income gets spent away from here.

Luckily, the chili turned out alright even with the limits I had. This time around, the vegetables I were able to get were pretty fresh. It's a little better than when I was in South Dakota. You could take a carrot or stock of celery that you just bought and make a circle out of it without breaking it there. That's how limp and un-fresh they were.

Old 24th January 2012, 00:03   #3320
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_rock923 View Post
I am really happy with how this turned out, fc*uk. Thanks for the recipe. I think I'll be eating it for a couple of weeks, due to just how much food it is.
Glad it turned out well for you
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions