Old 14th September 2007, 14:48   #1
aaronspuler

Winamp 5.5 & old skins

With the upcoming release of v5.5 and it's revamped UI, I'm wondering how this will affect skins... Will old skins work out of the box, or will they require updates in order to work?

Any one have any ideas on this?
aaronspuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 15:16   #2
pjn123
Major Dude

They will work... Still the same skin engine... just new version. But old stuff will work... Some text might be out of position but I'm sure this will be all good for final

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 15:40   #3
aaronspuler

Good deal... I'll be interested to see how the cover art functionality is implemented. I have cover art functionality in my 'Orion' skin and if the built-in method is better, I'd like to convert my skin to that method.
Old 14th September 2007, 15:48   #4
SLoB
Major Dude

if it aint broke dont fix it?
but on the other hand if it offers more info stuff then probably better to
/waits for the influx of posts for broken skins
SLoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 18:09   #5
DrO

like when the no image thing was re-implemented/fixed, heh all those posts bitching about green things appearing in the skins after which ever update it was

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 19:09   #6
aaronspuler

Yep, I'd like to avoid that Also, I notice that the image resize feature in my skin isn't exactly the best. I'm hoping that the new one will be better.
Old 14th September 2007, 20:03   #7
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Well, why not break compatibility again, I mean it's been like that since winamp3 days, each new big change broke loads of things.

I lost count of how many times I had to go back and fix things in skins that were either worked around skin engine bugs or just plain out changes.

I shan't be bothering this time if anything is to fucked up, quite simply it's not worth it any longer, the pleasure of skinning went out the window some time ago, as it seems to have for a lot of people apart from a hard core group of fans, casual skinners died off yonks ago, more than likely pissed off by a badly supported and documented engine (winamp3 days), an engine that excluded almost anyone who didn't have some kind of background in basic programming and the fact that every so often all your work was rendered mute by either some bug fix or engine change.

/goes to try 5.5 to see how much hard work over the years is now buggered up

//hey, it's not so bad!, I either made really well made skins or it's not nearly as breaky as it could have been , that'll teach me to be out the development loop for a bit heh
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 06:19   #8
JW

My skin has a toggle button to hide/show the playlist. The script looks for the container on load. In 5.5 my playlist container still opens on its own, but I get a null object error before it has a chance to open (and I know it's playlist container-related, because I get the same error in versions prior to 5.5 if I switch to the skin without having the PL open first). I made sure I'm opening the PL xml file before the script loads, but no difference. Suggestions?
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 08:10   #9
pjn123
Major Dude

Post the the skin files...

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins