• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Victhor
    Late skinner & Moderator
    • May 2003

Winamp Streaming Music Service

Do you imagine Winamp as a Streaming Music Service? Would you pay for it? Do you like the idea?

^ ^ ^ ^ A couple of shots at that idea, made by H. McNamara at Dribbble (here and here).

___________________________________________________________________________________

Plus some new designs to sell on that:

Daily UI #009 Music Player by Sebastian Selling

G7 for Winamp (2016) by Erkan Sari
    · · Big Bento Modern
  • MrSinatra
    Forum King
    • Dec 2004

isn't that what radionomy does?

i love spotify.
    PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
    --
    BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
    Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
    Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• Victhor
      Late skinner & Moderator
      • May 2003

Hmmm.. Radionomy does radio streaming, this is music streaming. Like Spotify; user pay a fee per month to access a certain music collection / library*.
      That collection usually depends on which distributor / recording label the app made deals with.

*Spotify was known for not having any Beatles album, because they couldn't make a deal with the copyrights owner/s. That was finally solved on december last year. But it isn't strange to find a lot of missing bands / albums, specially if you like alternative or indie music, which usually doesn't have a big record label to make a deal with..
      · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• MrSinatra
        Forum King
        • Dec 2004

i don't pay for spotify, but its great either way imo.

i agree there is a difference between radio and music streaming. imo however, i think paying for either is a waste, esp as i have 85k songs ripped of my own.
        --

Comment

• Sabine Klare
          Forum Queen
          • Nov 2010

Streaming Music Service... I myself use the music websites, where the Netlabels and Creative Commons Artists themselves can upload their music, long mixes and own songs. Also I myself have my own songs on many music websites, for example YouTube and SoundCloud etc. All links can be found in my Vimeo-Profile.

For those users, who have "Stereomix" on their computers and use it as default recording device: They just need to start the URL "linein://" in their Winamps...
          Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
          Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
          AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...

Comment

• Victhor
            Late skinner & Moderator
            • May 2003

Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
            ..i think paying for either is a waste, esp as i have 85k songs ripped of my own.
            Well, we're sort of "special kind of users" nowadays, but when I found out about things like >> http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...music-20150102is when I think I'll stick to what I do and keep using Winamp / local music collection as long as I can, no matter what..
            · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• MrSinatra
              Forum King
              • Dec 2004

i agree, most people don't have super large collections, but i love mine, b/c not only do i control it, but i can take it with me in my car, etc.

the article tho is a bit out of date, as the Beatles are available on Spotify. also, i think some artists u can't get on the free Spotify are available on the paid one. Bob Seger might be one. Spotify is a great service, either way. i love sharing playlists.
              --

Comment

• Plague
                f(caffeine){
                return wasabi;
                }
                (Forum King)
                • Jul 2001

Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
                *Spotify was known for not having any Beatles album, because they couldn't make a deal with the copyrights owner/s. That was finally solved on december last year. But it isn't strange to find a lot of missing bands / albums, specially if you like alternative or indie music, which usually doesn't have a big record label to make a deal with..
                Honestly, I love Spotify because it _has_ so much unknown/indie music compared to what the big record labels want us to listen to.
                I'm so sick and tired of the same four songs being played ad nauseum on the radio, in clubs/pubs, in stores, in elevators, in phone queues, etc.
                So I don't really care that a few of the super spoiled over hyped artists refuse to stream their music. There is plenty more excellent music that I wouldn't have heard of if it wasn't for Spotify and Youtube.
                Spotify has gotten so much crap for not "paying enough" to the artists. But the fact is even though there is lots and lots of money in circulation over there, Spotify is barely making a profit, because the music labels get most of it due to insane licensing deals.
                Yet, you don't hear most of those same spoiled artists complain about that.

The biggest problems I see are exclusive deals that forces people to have multiple subscriptions on incompatible services, so that the user cannot have one playlist with all the music he/she wants to listen to at any given moment, but instead has to switch service for some of it.
                I will never do that. Plain and simple.
                Winique work-in-progress (download) | Stargate:Winamp - SG1 Edition | D-Reliction | wasabi.player skin (plague-edit)
                Winamp3_Default skin (plague fixes) | Opal Redemption | X-Slant | wa2skin.wac

Comment

• Victhor
                  Late skinner & Moderator
                  • May 2003

Looks like it changed since the last time I tried Spotify, back then (1 year ago? something like that) I couldn't find some bands (can't remember which now), but I tried now and found 9 of 10 of my "strangest" bands, quite good!

In an ideal world I would love Winamp to work as a client for various services like that.. would be killer to just open one program / app and play Youtube Playlists, Soundcloud tracks or a Spotify collection.. (maybe I should register a patent out of it and wait some decades to see some money Lol..)
                  · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• Plague
                    f(caffeine){
                    return wasabi;
                    }
                    (Forum King)
                    • Jul 2001

Yeah they've improved alot the last few years.

Heh, I've actually been thinking of making a client like that for a while.
                    Winique work-in-progress (download) | Stargate:Winamp - SG1 Edition | D-Reliction | wasabi.player skin (plague-edit)

Comment

• Victhor
                      Late skinner & Moderator
                      • May 2003

Originally Posted by Plague View Post
                      ..Heh, I've actually been thinking of making a client like that for a while.
                      · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• Sabine Klare
                        Forum Queen
                        • Nov 2010

The suggestions in Post#9 sound very good. I hope, playing music from YouTube or SoundCloud etc. through Winamp will work also without the Adobe Flash Player on the computer...
                        You wanna talk about something, but don't know where to turn? Chat your heart out here...

And the same question is also about the Browser Pro and the Web Reader in the SUI Skins (Modern Skins, cPro, cPro2, cProXUI and Komodo), if the Adobe Flash Player is not installed (anymore).

I have thought again about the other postings and the downloaded screenshots. Of course also free accounts are necessary, although they have limitations, not only premium accounts, which require the very dangerous online-banking (debts because of hackers are possible). I can live with the limits, like I do that already on many websites, only 2 hours totally for all my uploaded SoundCloud-Tracks on my account Sternenmaschinebine, no extra photo-albums on deviantART (also Sternenmaschinebine) etc.

At first we should focus on a new Winamp for Windows, then on SHOUTcast, then on Winamp for the other OS (Mac, Android, Linux), then on the Winamp Streaming Music Service itself. Of course it sounds very interesting...
                        Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
                        Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
                        AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...

Comment

• MrSinatra
                          Forum King
                          • Dec 2004

since radionomy / vivendi now own winamp, i think they will only do things that promote their services natively. the good news is that hopefully a 3rd party dev can build plugins to use those other services. the bad news is that the spotify apps i've seen on other things, (LMS, Samsung TV, etc) requires you to have a paid Spotify acct.
                          --

Comment

• Victhor
                            Late skinner & Moderator
                            • May 2003

Originally Posted by Plague View Post
                            ...I've actually been thinking of making a client like that for a while.
                            I know is a stretch but.. just thought about it today (again), if there is something like Trillian to unify message services, why wouldn't there be an app to unify music services? =)

(I guess it is quite complex to do it in the first place, and then there is the justification of investing time for something that may be hard to make profit of.. among other things probably)
                            · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• Plague
                              f(caffeine){
                              return wasabi;
                              }
                              (Forum King)
                              • Jul 2001

Yeah, the time investment is what's made me push it back so far.
                              But I think I'm gonna do a proof of concept soonish, just to see how well it may work.

Comment

Working...
                              X