Old 2nd November 2017, 06:49   #1
-Sydney-

no sound from winamp

Im sorry if this has been covered before, but first time for me.

after a full win 7 reinstall last weekend and reloaded all programs (inc winamp) sound drivers etc etc etc.
winamp and shoutcast and all was working perfectly, come home from work today and no sound from winamp, i mean just no sound... even the directsound is showing music is playing, as is the oscilliscope.

So the problem is that there is no sound from my speakers.. and i went and found an online radio station that doesnt use winamp and speakers came to life all good.

I found an obscure reference somewhere during researching the issue that said......

"uninstall winamp and reinstall it into a folder thats called winammp".... seriously? seriously? so i did this and blow me down if it didnt work, so i changed the folders name from Winammp.... to Winamp..... arghhhh no sound again.

surely there is a proper resolution to this issue... although i suspect the issue is with mr gates product rather than my beloved winamp....

cheers and thanks in advance Gurus

Syd

I was going to add a signature but then thought better of it.
-Sydney- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:01   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Assuming Winamp is not in mute mode and the volume control level is not at zero (in Winamp and in the Windows volume mixer), you probably need to reset the audio device your Winamp DirectSound output plug-in is set to.

Use the Ctrl+P keyboard shortcut to open the Winamp Preferences window. Click on "Output" in the "Plug-ins" section on the left-hand side. Click on "Nullsoft DirectSound Output" on the right-hand side and then click on the "Configure" button at the bottom.

Select (click on) the "Device" tab in the "Nullsoft DirectSound Output Settings" window that opens. Click on the down arrow on the right-hand side of the selection box to view your available choices. Select the option for the speakers for your sound device that is set as the default for Windows playback. Do not choose the "Primary Sound Driver" option (that is the default which only works properly with Windows XP). Then click the "OK" button at the bottom to close the settings window and click the "Close" button (bottom left-hand side) to close the Winamp Preferences window. Restart Winamp and try playing a song.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 18:30   #3
-Sydney-

thanks for replying aminifu:

yes did all that, made sure it was playing to the realtek HD audio and nothing was set to zero, checked that first as my first thought was oh what have i got muted.

got no result at all, bear in mind this was a clean install, worked immediately i loaded music to library, worked for 5 days in fact, then just ceased producing sound.. or being able to "see" the speakers i dont know.

a second clean install in a folder called winammp worked immediately ...but change the folder name to winamp and it ceased to work...

i dunno

Old 2nd November 2017, 19:37   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

It sounds like you may have some failing hardware (hard drive with bad sectors and/or failing memory) causing corrupt entries on the drive and/or in the Windows registry over time. You can use the Windows tools and/or other 3rd party utilities to test your hardware.

It's also a bad idea to use the Winamp installer to install to one folder name and then just change the folder name. This causes Windows to write some new entries to the registry when you run Winamp. You end up with some entries using 1 folder name and some entries using the other folder name which can cause conflicts.

If your hardware checks out OK, I suggest you do a clean uninstall (remove all the Winamp program and user configuration data folders and all the Winamp entries in the registry) before installing Winamp again. The Winamp uninstaller alone is not able to do this because it leaves some registry entries and user configuration data behind. Install "Revo Uninstaller" and use it's advanced mode to do a clean uninstall. It will use the Winamp uninstaller first and then search for anything that was left behind and allow you to delete what it finds.

Good luck.

Old 3rd November 2017, 13:54   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

I just remembered something else. Did you use Winamp to play a midi file? The default configuration for the Nullsoft MIDI Player input plug-in can internally affect Winamp's volume level when playing other file formats after playing a midi file. There are no visible indications that the volume level was changed.

To change the configuration of the Nullsoft MIDI Player input plug-in use the Ctrl + P keyboard shortcut to open the Winamp Preferences window. Click on "Input" in the "Plug-ins" section on the left-hand side. On the right-hand side click on "Nullsoft MIDI Player" and then click the "Configure" button at the bottom. On the right-hand side of the "Device" tab of the Nullsoft MIDI Player Preferences window you should see the "Volume Control" options. Chose "None" in the selection box and clear the check-mark for the "Use as logarithmic" option. Click the "OK" button at the bottom to close this window and click the "Close" button (bottom left-hand side) to close the Winamp Preferences window. Restart Winamp and try playing a song.

Old 3rd November 2017, 19:50   #6
-Sydney-

Thanks Aminifu,

I ran the memory tests and a chkdsk and thankfully i seem to have no imminent hardware failures.

i dont recall playing a midi file anywhere, but of course who knows where it could have happened so i will go off and do that now......

yep, thats fixed it... what a strange little glitch.

Thank you so much for your persistence Aminifu... i would never have thought to go looking in there. I would have just lived with the badly named folder.

champion work my friend

Syd

Old 4th November 2017, 21:04   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Cheers, mate!

Winamp has been my favorite desktop digital music player for almost 19 years. I enjoy sharing what I have learned and trying to help others enjoy using it too. I can also be very persistent when it comes to solving puzzles or finding a work-around.

I skimmed through your posts history. So I don't need to tell you how frustrating it is when Winamp throws a fit seemingly out of nowhere for no logical reason. So many people have worked on Winamp over the years that 1 person's attempts to 'fix' or add stuff in one part of the code sometimes causes problems in other parts of the code that someone else worked on. What Winamp needs is a complete rewrite from the ground up, but that is never going to happen.

Bottom line, I hope you are able to enjoy using Winamp for a long time before the next issue occurs. Just like in life, sooner or later stuff happens.

Old 4th November 2017, 23:12   #8
-Sydney-

once again thanks Aminifu, and yes your right .... its probably been jerry rigged a bit over the years but my current setup 5.666 build 3516 and 2.3.5 sc works a treat (now)and i will be most upset if i have to abandon it in coming years. I just flicked through my history and it appears as if i have random stupid things that happen and then all of a sudden fix themselves hahahahahah. Maybe im getting too old to DJ anyway... but still love the music. Cheers Feller

Old 5th November 2017, 04:21   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

I can feel ya!

When I was 18, I went to Woodstock (an experience I'll never forget!). I can't sing and never learned to play an instrument, but in my mid to late twenties I had a show on a commercial radio station. I had a knack for picking hits and consistently got high ratings, but the job didn't pay enough and I had to let it go.

I still guest DJ at clubs now and then. I currently use "VirtualDJ 8" for that. Winamp is for my personal use, entertaining my wife, and providing the music for occasional small house parties. Modern tech continues to amaze me; no more having to deal with a van full of audio equipment and stacks of vinyl, then tapes, then CDs.

Most of my hair has turned gray and I can no longer keep up with all the new artists and genres; but I don't think I'll ever get too old to enjoy music and watch others enjoying it. I like a wide variety of stuff; new and old. One is silver and the other is gold. I believe music helps us stay young at heart.

Live long and prosper.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support