Old 16th May 2008, 22:57   #1
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Laptop vs desktop

Not so much in performance but in heat output. I know that my laptop runs in extreme temps(60C+ CPU, 60C+ HD) compared to my desktop(45C CPU, 35C HD). Does a desktop put out less heat than a laptop? Overall and not per component.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 23:07   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

No, it's just much more difficult to cool the components if they're crammed together in a small case.

Usually laptops will even produce less heat since they're supposed to use less energy (almost all of which will be turned into heat).
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 23:14   #3
ujay
Forum King

Desktops have the potential to run cooler than laptops because of the larger volume and scope for extra fans etc., though componnt for component they use more power.

The desktop needs serious help, anything over blood heat at idle is just wrong.

How the hell can you get the HDs running at 60C ?

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 23:19   #4
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

You can take your desktop to starbucks for wifi.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 23:23   #5
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
Usually laptops will even produce less heat since they're supposed to use less energy (almost all of which will be turned into heat).
Yep, less heat but the lack of space leads to more temperature.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 23:44   #6
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Quote:
Originally posted by ujay

UJ
The high temps are for the laptop. The lower temps go for the desktop.

I'm not sure why the laptop HD runs so hot like that.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 00:04   #7
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
Yep, less heat but the lack of space leads to more temperature.
temperature != heat
Old 17th May 2008, 00:45   #8
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
temperature != heat
That was the entire point of my statement!

Old 17th May 2008, 01:00   #9
gaekwad2
Foorum King

I must have misread it (not even sure how).
Old 17th May 2008, 01:52   #10
zootm
Forum King

That's quite alright, just seemed a little strange that you were picking me up on the detail I'd hoped to point out...

Old 17th May 2008, 02:45   #11
whatboy

Am saving what ever little cash I can to get this laptop from my job. I see them everyday at work and I just wanna cry because I don't have it. Too bad they don't have better employee discount 10% just cover taxes

http://www.alienware.com/product_det...de=SKU-DEFAULT
whatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 05:10   #12
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

^Don't ever buy laptops for gaming. For the price of one decent gaming laptop, you could have built two gaming PCs that would destroy it, and still have money left over for a decent laptop. Plus, gaming laptops are only good for gaming for about a year, after that you're left with a useless brick.

If I were you, I would build a killer $1100-1500 rig, and use the left over change to buy a nice laptop if you absolutely need the portability.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 12:47   #13
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik
^Don't ever buy laptops for gaming.
To be honest I'd say don't ever buy laptops full stop. They aren't that portable unless you ready to sacrifice the majority of the power and still pay the same price.
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 14:45   #14
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

if you are traveling around all the time and mostly do office stuff anyways a laptop is pretty nice, but for gaming or when you dont travel, a desktop is what you want.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 18:46   #15
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Laptop components are designed to be low-voltage, with smaller-process chips (usually) and therefore usually produce less heat.

That being said, there are multiple classes of laptop. You can go from one extreme--an iPod Touch, which by some definitions is practially a laptop--all the way up through the Airs, the ultraportables, standards, toughbooks, and up through the desktop replacements to gaming laptops. (With multiple HDDs, multiple video cards, etc.) At one end you have something with minimal/nonexistent cooling that remains cool to the touch. At the other, you have a behemoth that can and will burn a hole through many parts of the space shuttle even with onboard cooling running full-tilt.

So yes, often a laptop component will produce less heat per second. However, it's not that simple. As some have pointed out, unit temperature is a function of two basic things: heat output (measured chronically) versus cooling (which is supposed to keep up with output. And this is where laptops fail. They generate heat less quickly than a desktop, but there's comparatively no place for it to go. So temperature climbs inside the unit. Your desktop is built for airflow, your laptop is built for portability. So it's a sliding scale. (Yes, you guys basically said this already. I just thought it was worthy of a more comprehensive explanation for people who might not understand otherwise.)
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 01:17   #16
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Send a message via AIM to cmountford
Quote:
Originally posted by skryingbreath
You can take your desktop to starbucks for wifi.
I'd LOVE to do that...just to see ppl's reactions LOL. Too bad starbucks where I live doesn't have wifi...panera bread does though.

Been a while since I've been on. I have a note & quick question I'll be posting after reading this thread

I'm a DJ. You can DL my mixes free from my website: www.djcmount.com

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.
cmountford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 01:49   #17
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Send a message via AIM to cmountford
Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
Desktops have the potential to run cooler than laptops because of the larger volume and scope for extra fans etc., though componnt for component they use more power.

UJ
Ehh...anything over blood heat is wrong? I dunno about it being a huge issue...possible that CPU runs hot. I remember AMDs used to run hotter than intel CPU's a few years back (I'm intel all the way now...don't know if that's still the case).

My rig:

Mobo: Asus P5WDH Deluxe
running XP pro (not switching to vista)
2 500 GB RAID1 SATA2 hard drives
nvidia 7600 GT (upgrading this to 8800 GTX most likely in the near future)
2 GB high speed memory (can't remember what type, but it smokes the hell out of a lot of other ppl's newer computers)
core2duo (didn't go quad b/c not vista), 2.4 GHz CPU...can't remember how much cache...but I got lots of on board cache with my chipset...so runs amazingly fast even under insane multitasking loads...(I had a hard time maxing the thing running 2 virus scans at once, 3 anti spyware, winamp AVS max framerate...what else...I think rendering a big scene in bryce, then I started playing the game flat out 2. Only then started noticing some lag)

Basically a pretty badass system

When I set chassis & CPU fan (using ASUS AiBooster program) to silent mode, cpu originally ran around 35 deg C (when previously nearly idle). After performing system-intensive tasks (maxing processor), spiked to 50 deg C even after stopped these activities. slowly tapers down to around 46 then spikes again. Silent mode slows CPU fan down to around 500 rpm as opposed to around 2400 rpm for performance mode. When I turn on performance mode...starts going back down towards 30-35 deg C. My system's plenty healthy.

I'm not 100% sure the 45 deg idle CPU is something to PANIC about. (it's high...but I created a similar condition under silent setting. You might put a case fan in or check to see what your CPU fan settings are (check in your BIOS/CMOS settings--might be set to silent).

Also, my Mobo runs around 46 deg C all the time. this mobo just runs warmer than most but it's very healthy at this temp, according to ASUS & users. This is along the lines of the CPU temp.

My graphics card idles at 60 deg C. Originally I thought this was too hot, but apparently this is also somewhat normal for my model (the 8800 GTX runs EXTREMELY hot. Under load I believe it gets near 100 deg C!!!!)

The nvidia card runs a bit cooler when I crank my high volume case fan up, but then it's noisy as hell, and I do recording as well as gaming.

In short, I'm not entirely sure that you should worry about your CPU temp TOO much. look into it, yes, but don't have a heart attack.

I'm a DJ. You can DL my mixes free from my website: www.djcmount.com

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.
cmountford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 05:06   #18
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by cmountford
I'd LOVE to [bring a desktop to Starbucks]...just to see ppl's reactions LOL. Too bad starbucks where I live doesn't have wifi...panera bread does though.
Believe it or not, this has been done before.

Quote:
Originally posted by cmountford
nvidia 7600 GT (upgrading this to 8800 GTX most likely in the near future)
They don't make the 8800 GTX anymore... you meant 9800 GTX, correct?

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:53   #19
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

i love my 8800GTX. 384 bit ftw!
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 00:09   #20
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik
They don't make the 8800 GTX anymore... you meant 9800 GTX, correct?
8800 GTX cards are still available from many sources. I currently buy both 8000- and 9000-Series nVidia cards for the machines I build. The 8's are still considered fairly high-end, especially when you buy two or three of them under a nice price break and SLI them together, which is a great way to get the most graphics bang for your buck - two $125 GeForce graphics cards will blow away most single (non-X2) $500+ cards out there.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 21:02   #21
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
One of the laptops I have here has the air intake on the bottom and the exhaust on 2 sides. This means setting the unit on a lap or upholstered piece of furniture can mean almost burning exterior temperatures. The little rubber feet keep the laptop just high enough for good airflow on a solid nonporous surface (e.g. a table), but on a lap while doing something that is hardware intensive, it can get extremely hot.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 04:06   #22
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
That's quite alright, just seemed a little strange that you were picking me up on the detail I'd hoped to point out...
LOL

Having never owned a laptop before this year, I have to say I love my laptop and use it every single day. I use it at home, even if the desktop isn't being used by someone else.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 06:05   #23
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I feel the same way about them. Unless you do a lot of 3D gaming, you'll hardly ever miss anything else a desktop offers. Except the additional noise, the desk/floor space it requires, the mess of its additional cabling, ...

Then again, I am what I do. Performance junkies need the big boxes, and so be it! I'm just glad I don't have to build laptops. You want three graphics cards, a physics adapter and a network accelerator? No problem, just don't cramp the deal with a size limit. Hell, just the power supply required to run that level of machine would rival the weight and volume of most laptops.

But I'd say that less than 10% of the world actually needs anything that a laptop wouldn't offer. (It's just that most people wouldn't want to pay the extra premium for portability).

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 08:02   #24
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I like the posture of an office chair, individual adjustments for each component of a work station, and the low price for the performance. I also like the feel of a hand-held mouse/standard keyboard. I realize you can use both on a laptop, but that would be kinda pointless.

Renee loves to have her laptop on her lap on the couch or lazyboy chair with no networking cable or even power cord and says she's far more comfortable that way - all wireless and in her cozy spot under a blanket. She just uses wireless networking and charges when not in use.

I can't get comfortable looking down at a screen like that, and just can't seem to get comfortable unless I'm at a more office-like workstation.

She says sitting at my desktop is like going back to work when she just got home from work.

She (and all you laptop people) can have/keep the laptops. I like the desktop.

About the only time I like laptops is when I'm traveling out of town and can't reasonably carry a desktop around. Even then I wish I could.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions