Old 18th January 2016, 22:34   #1
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
1001Skins Closing

After many years in my hands, it is time to call it over. My sincerest apologies for not keeping the site going; however financially the website costs more than I can continue to support. I really wish to thank all my users, downloader's and authors for their continual support and efforts. The website will continue to be accessible and skins will remain available throughout the month. I have decided to shutter the doors and no longer provide support, updates or changes to it. As I said the costs of the site versus how much revenue it brings in are a net negative against my funding. While, I could place ads everywhere and video ads before downloading, I am of sufficient morality to not go down this road. If the website were to receive a donation on the other hand to cover the costs of hosting...I would leave it alone and continue to provide the hosting. If you wish to donate to this cause...you can donate via paypal to garrjo@gmail.com; the yearly hosting for 1001 would be at $80.00 USD minimum. If there is a donation to support this website; I will keep you informed and remove this message.

Thank You,

Garetjax
Owner @ 1001skins.com

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 13:33   #2
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Always sad when an enthusiasts website goes down...

I guess you have other priorities in life. Like us we've had to cut back on one VPS because of a change in circumstances.

I'm sure someone somewhere will have all these skins downloaded and ready to stick on another website. Isn't that what people did with the old winamp site?

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 13:38   #3
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
it didn't quite work; to my knowledge. I know that 1001 has 5413 skins...over 15 years; with usually 2 revisions on each skin. At present, the entire site zipped/rar is around 30GB; good luck getting them all.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Though, I'm sure someone can figure out a way....not that i am blocking access; however I believe the API for 1001 does exercise a data cap limit on the # of connections to the source files and database that links to the actual archives.

Or, someone somewhere can just donate 80.00 by the end of the month and keep the site going for another year.

1001skins |
Old 19th January 2016, 14:45   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Do you intend to keep developing and/or updating skins?

I can't cover the yearly cost, but I'm willing to donate the cost of a month or two. Let me know by next Tuesday if that would help.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 15:04   #5
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

The monthly cost for the site is around 10.00 after revenue earned; if the site were at minimum no cost to me...then, yes...I would continue to develop it and continue to support it. I am at present losing 80.00 a year...which doesn't sound like a lot...however I have 32 websites I manage, and support.

Out of those websites there are 18 that currently are at a loss month to month; on average 7 dollars a site = $126.00 net negative per month. All of these sites are on the chopping block...though, I have a personal and vested interested in keeping 1001 around.

As I love skinning, the members and the contributors...always have. I want to keep it so, I offered up the donation. If enough people felt strongly about keeping it around...and generously donated to keep it....absolutely.

1001skins |
Old 19th January 2016, 15:12   #6
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

A Very Special Thank You
Update - 01/19/2016
A Very special thank you to our member - Gyula. Payment, received to keep 1001skins.com alive for another year. I sincerely appreciate the donation and we will keep it going....

Thank you. Joe Garrett
aka: garetjax
If you would like to donate as well, we accept any funding amount to keep the site always current to garrjo@gmail.com. It is members like you that keep the site free.

----------

A very special Thank You...

Gyula.

1001skins |
Old 19th January 2016, 18:20   #7
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Cool! Glad to hear about it being "saved" for some extra time! In the meantime maybe an alternate solution can come up..
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 18:22   #8
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Well, someone is watching 1001; as it seems there is an interest in supporting the costs going forward....

-------------

I'm listening to the offer and thinking about it. I haven't made any plans yet....though, to be fair site is paid for from 2/09/2016 - 2/09/2017....

Should cover all costs associated.

Additionally, since the site uses my own webservices for delivery of the images, skin files, tracking, ratings, and etc. Decoupling the site and publishing elsewhere is very unlikely; and considering the volume of bandwidth it uses....

Here are some base stats:

1. 44k User Views a day
2. 350k User visits a week
3. 130GB Data Transfer per week
4. 3.23 Minutes Average visit length
5. 3 Skin Downloads on each visit
6. 15.5 Million Pageviews a year.

1001skins |
Old 20th January 2016, 16:49   #9
sankt

If some one makes you an offer for the website, be sure to really consider the SEO and traffic value. That alone is worth some major money.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 20:19   #10
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
I just could offer the hosting for free, but I have to check if we can handle the traffic

@update: hmm our traffic is about 80GB per month, so a little bit to high for us I think.
Sorry

lastfm.rimkus.it - last.fm Youtube Radio (buy me)
www.rimkus.it - Contact Music & More
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:22   #11
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Thank You for your consideration. The two biggest issues are the bandwidth and the users. The site is absolutely huge with regards to those; though obviously not as large as the big players (deviantart, etc).

I've mitigated everything to using web services which helps tremendously; and exposes content much quicker than it ever has.

As for the offers that I have been receiving...well, I've decided based on emails I have received over the last few days...to keep it where it is. I fought hard to get 1001skins from max bloch over the period of a few years (more like nagging).

While, I in the future may find it hard to pay for the services myself...I'm less worried now that I know what wonderful people there are; that are willing to donate their funding to support it.

Thank You,

Joe Garrett
aka Garetjax

1001skins |
Old 27th January 2016, 18:53   #12
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Thanks to the donor and host. It is a good site indeed.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 21:34   #13
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Through, some miracle not of my doing; I was able to finally do a commit for the updates to 1001skins.

Perhaps, again to allowed me to spend more time on ironing out the issues with 1001; than worry about trying to fund it.

That being said...I've begun refreshing some of the site design, and starting using cdn for everything. Ratings/Download Counts are still disabled but, will be available again soon.

As, the new ratings and download counter are ajax and won't rely so heavily on data connections; it too will open up a whole other world.

Lastly, Again thank everyone that has provided feedback through the years and the continual support.

-jwg

And yes, thank you to all involved.

1001skins |
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

Tags
1001skins.com closing