Old 24th March 2003, 08:35   #1
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

A simple answer to global warming

The Sun is getting hotter.

link
Quote:
In what could be the simplest explanation for one component of global warming (news - web sites), a new study shows the Sun's radiation has increased by .05 percent per decade since the late 1970s.

Further satellite observations may eventually show the trend to be short-term. But if the change has indeed persisted at the present rate through the 20th Century, "it would have provided a significant component of the global warming the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change reports to have occurred over the past 100 years," he said.

That does not mean industrial pollution has not been a significant factor, Willson cautioned.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2003, 08:36   #2
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Interesting

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

47 65 6C 61 65 64 2E 63 6F 6D 00
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2003, 08:37   #3
feroxis

I also find it interesting, if a little scary.

I liked it better when we thought it was all pollution. At least that we have some control over.
feroxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2003, 08:44   #4
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Our climate has been oddly stable for about 10000 years. We're supposed to have much larger changes in climate. It doesn't really make much sense to start with.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

Old 24th March 2003, 08:50   #5
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

It's kind of odd, but I've never even thought about the temperature of the Sun in all this before I read that. I don't have a lot of time for all this environmental lark, there have been huge shifts in weather over the centuaries, ice ages and the magnetic poles reversing etc.

I saw somewhere, Top Gear I think, that car emissions ammouont to less than one percent of all CO2 emmissions produced. So although cleaner cars are a good think, for health reasons, I don't think pushing for more use of public transport, with those amazingly high polluters, the busses, is the best idea.

Old 24th March 2003, 08:56   #6
feroxis

Public transportation is an excellent idea.

It's just too bad that it's so impractical in countries like the United States, where there's just so much space. I also think many people have an almost sacred link to their automobiles, and would loathe to give them up.
feroxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2003, 09:04   #7
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
i heard about this the other day, and this could account for 1/3 of global warming.

the rest is us/
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2003, 09:51   #8
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Quote:
Originally posted by Phily Baby
I saw somewhere, Top Gear I think, that car emissions ammouont to less than one percent of all CO2 emmissions produced. So although cleaner cars are a good think, for health reasons, I don't think pushing for more use of public transport, with those amazingly high polluters, the busses, is the best idea.
So do you support that wily Kyoto treaty?
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2003, 10:18   #9
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero
i heard about this the other day, and this could account for 1/3 of global warming.

the rest is us/
They don't know how much this could account for. Possibly all of it. Possibly none. It's entirely possible that all the global warming we've experienced is totally natural.

Old 24th March 2003, 10:23   #10
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes
So do you support that wily Kyoto treaty?
Yes because that had a big focus on the pollution caused by buisness and factories, something that accounts for a massive percentage, (I have no figures at hand, 30% rings bells), of the worlds Co2 emmisions.

Old 24th March 2003, 21:05   #11
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Curi0us_George
Interesting

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2003, 01:40   #12
zootm
Forum King

what effect is it having exactly? never fear! the brits are here!

or there. in 20 years or so.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2003, 02:36   #13
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
i still say its cow farts
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2003, 15:11   #14
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

funny how it's allmost only scientist that are employed my the car manufacturers and oil companies who thinks that most of the global warming are not caused by us.
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2003, 16:34   #15
COtto1984

Send a message via AIM to COtto1984
the obvious answer is that I'm getting hotter everyday!

COtto
COtto1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2003, 16:53   #16
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
funny how it's allmost only scientist that are employed my the car manufacturers and oil companies who thinks that most of the global warming are not caused by us.
Funny how you say that, but you have no actual evidence that your accusations are true.

Old 7th April 2003, 09:51   #17
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/ne...06/ixhome.html

Middle Ages were warmer than today, say scientists

Claims that man-made pollution is causing "unprecedented" global warming have been seriously undermined by new research which shows that the Earth was warmer during the Middle Ages.

From the outset of the global warming debate in the late 1980s, environmentalists have said that temperatures are rising higher and faster than ever before, leading some scientists to conclude that greenhouse gases from cars and power stations are causing these "record-breaking" global temperatures.

Such claims have now been sharply contradicted by the most comprehensive study yet of global temperature over the past 1,000 years. A review of more than 240 scientific studies has shown that today's temperatures are neither the warmest over the past millennium, nor are they producing the most extreme weather - in stark contrast to the claims of the environmentalists.

The review, carried out by a team from Harvard University, examined the findings of studies of so-called "temperature proxies" such as tree rings, ice cores and historical accounts which allow scientists to estimate temperatures prevailing at sites around the world.

The findings prove that the world experienced a Medieval Warm Period between the ninth and 14th centuries with global temperatures significantly higher even than today.

They also confirm claims that a Little Ice Age set in around 1300, during which the world cooled dramatically. Since 1900, the world has begun to warm up again - but has still to reach the balmy temperatures of the Middle Ages.

Old 9th April 2003, 00:32   #18
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

I have a hard time believing in the Global Warming Theorem, mainly because of the way the theory was reached. Also, simple science tells me that Ozone is in fact, heavier than oxygen, and CFC's heavier than air. I don't believe in an "Ozone Layer," and don't believe in Glabal warming, or holes over Antarctica.
Fuck Public Transportation.
The greenhouse effect is different, and can be solved. The main idea is to have less deforestation, and more parks and such within cities. Look at Tokyo. The place is a forest of concrete. Plant some trees (okay, lots of trees) and the carbon monoxide level will go down. Trees live off of Carbon monoxide. And Carbon Dioxide. Carbon period.

These are my opinions. If you like them, cool. If you don't, Don't start calling me an idiot, that just cheapens you.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2003, 01:20   #19
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
we have astronauts, we have Saran Wrap...FIX IT!
-Lois Black (quoted to the best of my memory)
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News