Old 12th June 2003, 12:56   #1
Alltaken

volume Normaliser PLEASE!!!!

ok i had this new idea for some kind of volume normaliser.

you see Winamp scans a song for its average volume, max volume, and min volume

then it creates a file on the HDD that has all these values stored for each song.

when you go to play a playlist or group of songs it access's all this information and adjusts the volume of each song acordingly to give the overall same sound level as the other songs.

i have encoded all my songs in a LOSELESS format (flac) so since my cd's are not all the same volume i am kinda stuck with fluctuating volumes.

i jsut think it would be really cool to have this feature, you could set the max volume to be the same, the average to be the same or the min to be the same over all songs.

or if the volumes are similar -- like a few % fluctuation from all the songs on the lists average, then the volumes might not be adjsuted, this threshold could be changed.

so that is if a song was REALLY QUITE to could be increased in volume to a better level. However if the song was only a tiny bit from average it wouldn'y be changed.

anyway does that sound cool????

this data could be made while the song is being played. so that you didn't need to let the computer run for ages while it scanned them all. over time the list would be complete of all the music in your libary (if you listen to it all that is)

Alltaken
Alltaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2003, 13:21   #2
Lion King
Major Dude

http://x-fixer.narod*****download/in_flac.zip

flac has buildin replaygain support, the values are stored in the tags
Lion King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 02:06   #3
UltraZelda64

Monkey's Audio has had that for a long time. I never turn it on, but it's there. It would be nice if it was in Winamp, but with the input plug-ins already supporting it, it wouldn't be such a good idea. Wouldn't be good to accidentally have two audio-leveling plug-ins working at the same time.
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 05:36   #4
Alltaken

yeah i was just looking at the information in the FLAC tags and yeah it does have a gain leveling option.

the only thing is i don't see a way to edit these tags, and anyway if i did i would need to do 600+ songs manually.

none of them have any information in the gain level settings. (just says "not present")

oh well!!!!

thanks for the help.

-------------------------
ok NEW IDEA

have an option to save EQ settings, volume settings, etc...

similar to my first idea but more complex, it saves a profile of all the sound options for the file, this way if you have a JAZ song you might have a different EQ to if you had a Techno song.

anyway this could incorperate your volume settings for it (the saved settings would be a percentage rather than a fixed number, this would mean the volume you set it at would remain but be altered by a percentage)

Alltaken
Alltaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 08:14   #5
Lion King
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Alltaken
the only thing is i don't see a way to edit these tags, and anyway if i did i would need to do 600+ songs manually.
the easiest way is to use http://www.foobar2000.org/
you can add album gain to albums and track gain to single tracks

next time you can add replaygain information when you encode the flacs
Quote:
have an option to save EQ settings, volume settings, etc...

similar to my first idea but more complex, it saves a profile of all the sound options for the file, this way if you have a JAZ song you might have a different EQ to if you had a Techno song.

anyway this could incorperate your volume settings for it (the saved settings would be a percentage rather than a fixed number, this would mean the volume you set it at would remain but be altered by a percentage)
already there: auto-load eq presets + preamp slider
Lion King is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist