Old 30th July 2004, 06:52   #1
Alltaken

two installs on the same computer compeating

hey guys.

i have two installs of Winamp on my computer 5.04

one i have set up for video, one for audio. however the problem is that the preference settings have an option to accosiate files.

if i change the settings in one, then the settings in the other follow. i figure it is storing this info in the same file somewhere on my computer.

i don't believe i had any problems in winamp 5.03. although it might have been the same situation.

i was just suprised when i clicked on a video file and it opened in my audio Winamp, therefore wiping my playlist positions and everything.

does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Alltaken
Alltaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 06:56   #2
horse-fly
Account Closed

Well, why can't you use the same installation of Winamp for both audio and video?

My best bet would be to change your folder options (if you are running windows) to open up the correct winamp with the right files. You might have to change a couple of things in winamp, but I am just guessing at a possible solution.
horse-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 09:08   #3
Alltaken

well the user interface of audio and video needs to be set up differently to have my tv output in mind, also the playlists need to be kept in order between both audio and video.

i.e. i don't want to rememebr that i was up to song 745 (or whatever it is) whenever i want to watch a movie or video file.

currently you can't swap out a playlist with locations remembered and such (unless its a new feature)

yeah i guess i could set up the folders seciton.

i am still somewhat curious if it can be done in winamp, as it would involve a lot less work to do and to keep setup like that.

Alltaken
Old 30th July 2004, 09:33   #4
JonnyMac

Try the WinAmp Profiler plug-in. (latest version)
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 09:34   #5
siebe83
Forum King

Would it work to edit the file associations manually?
You will need to uncheck 'register associations on startup' (at Prefs > File Types).

Assuming you got XP:
Windows Explorer > menu Extra > Folder Options > tab File Types
Use the 'advanced' button to edit the command line.
Though I'm not sure that'll work: editing that seems to affect all Winamp Media Files :/

[edit]
Winamp Profiler could work, but it won't automatically load video's in a specific Profile?
Maybe...

[edit2]
I read drewbar's post now. Maybe that means you should use the EDIT button at the File Types tab (not the 'Advanced' button: that one seems to affect all Winamp Media Files). With the edit button you should be able to associate file types seperately...

But again: you'll need to uncheck all associate options in Winamp itself.

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.

Last edited by siebe83; 30th July 2004 at 09:49.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 09:44   #6
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

The problem is that associations are taken care of by the registry. In the registry there is extensions .mp3 and a file type (which is it's own registry key) that is associated with it. In Winamp's case the extensions associated with Winamp are associated with the Winamp.file key. Both installs of Winamp will create and use the same Winamp.file key. So the last one installed it will uses that oath for commands. So when in one Winamp you associate a file type with Winamp it associates it with Winamp.file. When you associate different file types with a separate install, it still associated with Winamp.file. There is no way with Winamp around this.

Only thing you can really do is to use the Folder Options in Windows Explorer to control you associations manually.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 10:20   #7
Alltaken

arr ok thanks heaps for that drewbar, that explains the double-up between the winamps.

bit of a bummer but oh well.

Alltaken
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support