Old 10th October 2007, 11:59   #1
Dickinson

Cover Art Problem

Hi,

the first time i've startet the new winamp the cover art function worked good.

But now no covers were found and the following error occured:

"No cover art matching this album could be found."

Greetz
Dickinson
Dickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 18:28   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Try different albums? it isn't always going to find a cover for every CD. Plus, make sure you are connected to the internet at the time.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 12:06   #3
John_Biggun

I have a different problem with covers... i have ,for example, 100 songs in folder and when i find a cover for a song it sometimes appears to other songs. I have the cover for Timeless album of Sergio Mendes but this also appears to Songs from Ally McBeal of Vonda Shepard songs !?!?!? I thought that a cover stay sticked to the song from the search begun. Is there something to fix this... or maybe a patch in the future version ?
John_Biggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 13:30   #4
mr1134

similar problem here: winamp shows for 60% of the albums the same wrong album cover.
mr1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 14:23   #5
Rapideye

Same Album Art Assigned to Other Albums

I am having a similar problem. I just installed WinAmp 5.5. It has assigned one album cover to 80 to 90 percent of the songs. This is also happening for searches for music files in Google Desktop now - same cover assigned to nearly all. I checked the folder where I keep my music and all the album covers are fine there.

Anyone have a fix?

Thanks!
Rapideye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 23:51   #6
Sista K

Hi,

I'm having the same problem for the first time ever, and I have been using Winamp for a LONG time now.

When I have complete albums that have their own folder and their own cover art in a separate jpg file named "cover.jpg", it's fine. Same for individual mp3 which have the cover art directly saved into the mp3 file.

However, when a song doesn't have a designate cover, then Winamp decided all of sudden as of today to display the same cover, coming from an individual mp3 with cover saved within. I tried to edit this mp3 and delete the cover from it and restarting Winamp, but it still displays this one when I play a song without cover. So I'm guessing there must be a cache somewhere that I can empty, does someone know where it is/how to do it ?

Thanks !

By the way, I'm using the latest Winamp version (5.621 on Windows 7) which was working perfectly fine until today, when I did nothing specific.
Sista K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 15:54   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi John_Biggun, mr1134, Rapideye, and Sista K,

Windows creates hidden 'cover art' files in your music folders. I'm not sure what triggers
Windows to make these files. When a song does not have a 'designated' cover that you
provided, Winamp will select one of these hidden files in accordance with the following
priority order (provided by user Batter Pudding):

1. Embedded art in the tags of the files

2. %album%.jpg/png/gif/bmp in the containing folder (where %album% is the exact name of the Album)

3. An .nfo file with the exact same file name as an image file in the containing folder

4. cover.jpg/png/gif/bmp

5. folder.jpg/png/gif/bmp

To delete or change the hidden files created by Windows, use the "Tools" menu in Windows
Explorer to select "Folder Options". Select the "View" tab in Folder Options and uncheck the
"Hide protected operating system files" option. Windows will display a prompt asking you
not to do this. Do it anyway. Also uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option
if it is checked. Then go to the music folder(s) and find the cover art file(s) that you don't
want displayed and delete or rename them. You may have to close and reopen Windows
Explorer to see them (and select one of the view files as icons options if one is not already
selected). Be sure to look at the filename extension so that you don't delete or rename the
wrong file. Choose or make a copy of a cover art file that you want Winamp to use and give
it the name and extension of the file you deleted or renamed. If you do not provide an
alternate file, Winamp will display the cover of the previous song when it comes to a song
without a designated cover.

After you 'fix' the cover files you don't want, return to Folder Options and re-select the
options you changed.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 16:22   #8
Sista K

Hi Aminifu, thanks for your answer !

The weird thing is that before yesterday, Winamp handled all of it normally. Meaning that when a song did not have a designated cover, it displayed nothing, only the default Winamp llama background : (I'm using Big Bento skin, but it's the same with Bento)

(I had to "cheat" to take this screenshot by switching between skins and shooting it in the second it takes Winamp to display this damned new "default" cover...)

Also I have by default hidden files and extensions displayed in Windows explorer (like it better that way) and I checked before if a "weird" file had been created, but nothing new.

In my music folder I have complete albums which have their own folder (e.g. C:\music\album1), and then ONLY in those album folders are jpg files named either cover.jpg or albumname.jpg. These songs now display perfectly their cover art.

However, I have other songs randomly put in the music folder (C:\music\track1.mp3). And when THESE songs do not have a cover art embedded in their tag, then Winamp displays the SAME cover which comes precisely from a song having the cover art embedded in its ID tag. It doesn't matter if just before playing a "coverless" song I play a song from an album (meaning with its proper and separate jpg cover), or a song with the cover embedded within the ID tag, it's still that same cover that is displayed.

And of course, I don't have ANY jpg/png/gif/bmp files in the root of my music folder (C:\music).

So I edited the ID tag of this specific track and DELETED that cover art, but it is STILL being displayed when a coverless song comes up. I don't get it and think I might be going crazy...
Old 18th September 2011, 16:32   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Sista K,

That is strange. What happens if you move that track to a non-monitored folder?
If the cover you see is not coming from that track, it has to be from a Windows
created file in a folder that Winamp has access to.

Or the Bento skin is doing something strange. I'm using a 3rd party classic skin.
I can switch to Bento and do some troubleshooting, but it will have to wait till
after the football game. :-)
Old 18th September 2011, 16:37   #10
Sista K

Nothing changes, I've moved it to the desktop, deleted it from the media library, restarted Winamp and it STILL displays that cover...

This is why I thought Winamp had a cache somewhere but I didn't find anything about it...

I even tried to uninstall/reinstall Winamp, but obviously it didn't change a thing...
Old 18th September 2011, 16:50   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Sorry, I was editing my last post. Will check back in a few hours.
Old 18th September 2011, 20:48   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

I have not been able to reproduce this error with the Bento skins. Winamp does not
cache album art. The image you are seeing has to come from a file on your computer.
Have you tried a full computer search for all files whose name starts with the name of
the song file that had the embedded image in it?

Have you checked the proper no album art *.png files in the 'skins/big bento/window'
sub-folder to be sure they are not corrupted?

Do you have the Windows Media Players or any other media players on your system set
to monitor the same folders that Winamp does and set to update tags from the internet?
That's a long shot, but just trying to cover all the bases.
Old 18th September 2011, 21:29   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post

If you do not provide an alternate file, Winamp will display the cover of the previous song
when it comes to a song without a designated cover.
This is an incorrect statement. The album art plugin I use with the 3rd party classic skin
I use acts this way, not Winamp.
Old 18th September 2011, 23:10   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
here's what i do, and it always works for me:

i NEVER embed album art. if i find any, i save it to the directory and delete from the file.

i arrange all my files as:

..\artist\album\files.mp3

and i put one Folder.jpg in the 'album' directory, along with a copy of it for backup, (in case WMP gets frisky)

then i rescan with winamp, and/or right click the art in winamp ML and click "refresh album art."

always works, ALWAYS, 100% of the time. if it doesn't work, the problem is with the Folder.jpg file.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 23:44   #15
Sista K

Good try with the default file in the Bento folder, but the pic "no_alb_art_big.png" is the right one. Well the one with the llama that I SHOULD see.

The cover that is bugging me is actually a very specific cover and I know for a fact that only one song was tagged with it.

I never use Windows Media Player, in fact now that I think about it I downright disabled it yesterday just before it all started to act out, along with Internet Explorer (which I never used either). Do you think it could be related..?
Just to be sure I'll try to turn it back on tomorrow.

@MrSinatra, I tried several times to refresh the album art but nothing.
Old 18th September 2011, 23:51   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

WMP places art in folders it monitors. the art files from WMP are "hidden" so unless you change windows options, you won't see hidden files in directories, but apps do see them.

i haven't read the thread in full, can u please briefly explain the issue? it sounds like you're saying you see art for only one song you shouldn't see, is that right? do you have it in its own folder like i said above?

--
Old 19th September 2011, 12:09   #17
Sista K

@MrSinatra thanks for trying to help me, but I think the best way for you to do so would be to read the thread -- which is not 10 pages long, and you would immediately see what it's all about and what we've already checked
Old 19th September 2011, 19:43   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Sista K,

Since you don't use WMP, I suggest you leave it 'disabled' if you are sure you have it
disabled. What about Windows Media Center? It also can be setup to pull metadata from
the internet.

You stated you 'refreshed' the Winamp library. Have you tried deleting and rebuilding it?
You also stated you reinstalled. Was this a 'clean' re-installation where everything associated
with Winamp (except your media files of course) direct and 3rd party was deleted? If you
did, then your Winamp library was deleted and rebuilt.

I assume the song file this image was in is not new, but because this image file is so hard
to find, it is starting to sound like a virus/malware infection. Have you run a full system
scan with good, up-to-date, virus and malware apps? Full scans take a long time, but they
should be run from time to time.

You may have found a Bento skin bug. I'm real interested in how this turns out.
Old 19th September 2011, 20:02   #19
Sista K

I disabled the Windows Media Center along with WMP and had never used it before.

I tried refreshing the cover art, not the library, and indeed it wasn't a clean uninstall/reinstall as I didn't want to have to reinstall and configure the additional plugins (before you ask, none was new, it has been months since I installed a new plugin).

I really don't think it's a virus or something like that, I'm always careful of what I'm doing and run complete scans regularly. Still, I'll run one...

I think I'll finally do the clean uninstall/reinstall if there's no other solution, because it's such a pain to reinstall and reconfigure everything...
Old 19th September 2011, 20:52   #20
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi MrSinatra,

Your implied suggestion, not to use embedded album art, is not an acceptable work-around.
If there are bugs with Winamp's handling of embedded album art, they need to be fixed
asap. I only use embedded art (6000+ files with zero problems).

Off Topic, I'm not trilled with your (and the industry's, it seems) file storage approach. I
mean, I have several songs that were released as singles (never put on an album) and I
seldom put more than a few songs from any specific album on my system. I do rip complete
CDs to CDs for backups. I only use 27 sub-folders, one for every letter in the alphabet and
one (catch-all) for numbers. Whatever letter or number the artists' names start with, their
song files go into the corresponding sub-folder. I do put the album name in each file's
metadata, if it came from or exists on an album. I also put in the song's original release
year by the artist, not the album's (even if its a remastered release). This works for me.
Just saying...
Old 19th September 2011, 21:10   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Sista K,

Like you, I hate doing clean uninstalls. I'm more upset when it doesn't help. But it does
work enough times, as a LAST resort, that I keep doing it.
Old 19th September 2011, 21:11   #22
Sista K

Unbelievable, I just did a super clean uninstall (followed by sweeping of the registry by CCleaner), restart the PC, reinstall Winamp.

And STILL that DAMN cover.

I don't get it, I was sure that I would be rid of it
Old 19th September 2011, 21:19   #23
Aminifu
Forum King

I can feel your pain!

If you want any chance of input from a Winamp developer, you must supply all the info
they require. Read the post in the sticky about "Info Required When Posting". And you
maybe should start a separate thread, since the first poster had a different problem.

Don't want to sound like a nag, but did you do the full system file search I suggested?
Old 19th September 2011, 22:45   #24
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Dickinson,

Sorry for being part of highjacking your thread.

The new Winamp cover art feature is hit and miss at this point. There are a number of
free apps on the WEB just for this or for finding cover art and other metadata. I use "Media
Monkey" (way overkill, :-) ) just for finding cover art because it uses Amazon and other
WEB search engines. I also use "Creevity MP3 Cover Downloader". It tries to find up to 6
covers at a time, associated with the song and/or artist. Sometimes the covers are different
resolutions of the same cover, allowing you to select the one that looks the best on your
system.
Old 19th September 2011, 23:59   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Hi MrSinatra,

Your implied suggestion, not to use embedded album art, is not an acceptable work-around.
not an acceptable workaround for what?

its what i do, its what i recommend. jmo.

Quote:
If there are bugs with Winamp's handling of embedded album art, they need to be fixed
asap. I only use embedded art (6000+ files with zero problems).
i didn't say winamp shouldn't support it, i just said i don't use it, and don't recommend others use it. as far as i know, there are no bugs with winamps handling of embedded art, and if there are, someone needs to demonstrate how in a reproducible way.

Quote:
Off Topic, I'm not trilled with your (and the industry's, it seems) file storage approach. I mean, I have several songs that were released as singles (never put on an album) and I seldom put more than a few songs from any specific album on my system. I do rip complete CDs to CDs for backups. I only use 27 sub-folders, one for every letter in the alphabet and one (catch-all) for numbers. Whatever letter or number the artists' names start with, their song files go into the corresponding sub-folder. I do put the album name in each file's metadata, if it came from or exists on an album. I also put in the song's original release year by the artist, not the album's (even if its a remastered release). This works for me.
Just saying...
i would rather store a file once, or once with a backup, rather than multiple times per tracks on an album, and i would rather have it in the folder, where its easy to see and manipulate, than in a tag, where it isn't. art has more size, resolution, etc... limitations inside a tag, and if for some reason the art doesn't work, its a lot easier to troubleshoot it in the folder, than in the tag. if there is a problem, with my way, you only need to fix it once. with yours, you have to re-embed for however many files.

the only case for embedding the art imo, is if you have crapple devices or similar that need them that way. thankfully my droid does not.

Quote:
Hi Dickinson,

Sorry for being part of highjacking your thread.
considering he's only posted once, in 2007, i wouldn't worry about it.

winamp gets its art from allusic.com and its pretty bad at it. it always fails on comps, and its spotty elsewhere.

--
Old 20th September 2011, 02:16   #26
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi MrSinatra,

Good point about all the posts except for Sista K's being from 2007. I tend to overlook
post dates. I need to stop that.

I realize now that the Winamp cover art feature is not new. I have always gotten better
results for metadata with 3rd party apps. I check what Winamp does in this area from
time to time, but have always been disappointed. Been using Winamp for over 10 years,
tried other apps (still try) but prefer it for playing music. Only recently have had time to
be active in the forum.

As to the rest, I'm only giving my opinions and suggestions, like you. There are different
ways to do things. I read a lot of your posts and agree with a lot of what you say. I choose
to only use embedded art and not because I have too. You choose not to use embedded art.
Okay, no problem, there are pros and cons for each approach.

It's just that sometimes your 'tone' rubs me the wrong way. For example, "crapple devices".
I like to try and help people because people, including you, have helped me. I try not to
make judgmental statements about what they use. I try to keep those to myself, but that's
just me.

I need to work on being less sensitive too.
Old 20th September 2011, 03:38   #27
MrSinatra
Forum King

crapple is a slam on apple, not you. slamming apple is fair game around here. i don't know what else needs embeds, if anything.

winamp has done almost nothing to improve art lookup since it introduced it, unfortunately.

as to rubs, my wife often says the same thing.

--
Old 20th September 2011, 09:30   #28
Aminifu
Forum King

Sista K,

Last question, have you looked in your 'users/.../appdata/local/temp' folder for this
sneaky image file?

I didn't think to mention this earlier, but I've noticed that sometimes 2 or 3 cover image
files are renamed and stored there on my system. Why and how they get there, I don't
know. It could be the cover art plugin I use or one of the apps I use to find metadata or
generate playlists.

If your problem image file is there on your system, a better question is why is Winamp
using it.
Old 20th September 2011, 18:46   #29
Sista K

There was indeed a cover in that folder, but not the problematic one, and it was from the 19th (bug started a day earlier). I deleted it anyway.

Other than that, there was no cover here. And since I regularly sweep my PC with CCleaner there was not much files in there.

I think my image file must still be on my computer, otherwise it wouldn't be able to use it, the question is where and under what name...
Old 21st September 2011, 00:06   #30
Aminifu
Forum King

You have looked in all the usual places. You can use Windows Exploper to list all image
files on your computer wherever they are. Then you can look at each one. Type
"kindicture" in the search box and then select where to look. The where to look
options will be at the top or bottom of the initial results. You can filter the search by
entering a range of creation dates (or other options). You first saw this a few days ago,
but it may have been created earlier.

A full image search on my system returned over 12,000 results. No way I want to look at
each one, so I would look at the first few pages and then try to come up with some filtering
options to narrow the list down.

The smily in "kindicture" should be a colon. Don't know how to prevent the smily. And
the p in the word picture is cut off.
Old 21st September 2011, 00:40   #31
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
The smily in "kindicture" should be a colon. Don't know how to prevent the smily. And
the p in the word picture is cut off.
check this box:

Disable smilies in text

you get it when you do full replies, not quick ones.

--
Old 21st September 2011, 01:47   #32
Aminifu
Forum King

Thanx MrSinatra for the info on the disable smilies box.

Thing is, I thought I started my post in the quick reply. Must not have.
Old 21st September 2011, 01:51   #33
MrSinatra
Forum King

what i mean is, you get "it" meaning the box, when you do full replies, not quick ones. when u do quick ones, you can click "go advanced" to get to full.

--
Old 21st September 2011, 02:04   #34
Aminifu
Forum King

I understand. Still learning how this forum works.

Did not see the smily until after I submitted the post. Know what to do now. Thanx
Old 26th September 2011, 17:48   #35
Sista K

Ok, there's a new element : I played a new track that is not yet in my library and is in a separate folder. That track doesn't have embedded art, and the default "blank" picture is correctly displayed.

So there is something wrong with my library, HOWEVER, I don't have ANY image file at the root of my music folder. As I said before, each cover is in its album folder, which is a subfolder of the main music folder. Plus that file shouldn't even be on my computer anymore.

There is a certain method to this bug, it is disturbing...
Old 26th September 2011, 17:52   #36
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
WMP places art in folders it monitors. the art files from WMP are "hidden" so unless you change windows options, you won't see hidden files in directories, but apps do see them.

i haven't read the thread in full, can u please briefly explain the issue? it sounds like you're saying you see art for only one song you shouldn't see, is that right? do you have it in its own folder like i said above?
ready to work with me now?

--
Old 26th September 2011, 17:56   #37
Sista K

Sure !
These are the first posts you missed :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sista K View Post
Hi,

I'm having the same problem for the first time ever, and I have been using Winamp for a LONG time now.

When I have complete albums that have their own folder and their own cover art in a separate jpg file named "cover.jpg", it's fine. Same for individual mp3 which have the cover art directly saved into the mp3 file.

However, when a song doesn't have a designate cover, then Winamp decided all of sudden as of today to display the same cover, coming from an individual mp3 with cover saved within. I tried to edit this mp3 and delete the cover from it and restarting Winamp, but it still displays this one when I play a song without cover. So I'm guessing there must be a cache somewhere that I can empty, does someone know where it is/how to do it ?

Thanks !

By the way, I'm using the latest Winamp version (5.621 on Windows 7) which was working perfectly fine until today, when I did nothing specific.
Quote:
Hi Aminifu, thanks for your answer !

The weird thing is that before yesterday, Winamp handled all of it normally. Meaning that when a song did not have a designated cover, it displayed nothing, only the default Winamp llama background : (I'm using Big Bento skin, but it's the same with Bento)

(I had to "cheat" to take this screenshot by switching between skins and shooting it in the second it takes Winamp to display this damned new "default" cover...)

Also I have by default hidden files and extensions displayed in Windows explorer (like it better that way) and I checked before if a "weird" file had been created, but nothing new.

In my music folder I have complete albums which have their own folder (e.g. C:\music\album1), and then ONLY in those album folders are jpg files named either cover.jpg or albumname.jpg. These songs now display perfectly their cover art.

However, I have other songs randomly put in the music folder (C:\music\track1.mp3). And when THESE songs do not have a cover art embedded in their tag, then Winamp displays the SAME cover which comes precisely from a song having the cover art embedded in its ID tag. It doesn't matter if just before playing a "coverless" song I play a song from an album (meaning with its proper and separate jpg cover), or a song with the cover embedded within the ID tag, it's still that same cover that is displayed.

And of course, I don't have ANY jpg/png/gif/bmp files in the root of my music folder (C:\music).

So I edited the ID tag of this specific track and DELETED that cover art, but it is STILL being displayed when a coverless song comes up. I don't get it and think I might be going crazy...
Quote:
Nothing changes, I've moved it to the desktop, deleted it from the media library, restarted Winamp and it STILL displays that cover...

This is why I thought Winamp had a cache somewhere but I didn't find anything about it...

I even tried to uninstall/reinstall Winamp, but obviously it didn't change a thing...
Old 26th September 2011, 19:54   #38
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

What are your Winamp Options - Preferences - Media Library - Local Media - Watch Folders
options set to?
Old 26th September 2011, 20:00   #39
MrSinatra
Forum King

please, seriously, if u want my help, b/c i'm sure i can solve this, just give me the condensed one to two sentence description of whats going wrong, vs what you think should be happening.

--
Old 26th September 2011, 20:31   #40
Sista K

Hi Aminifu,

Thanks for your input, I had already thought of this : it is indeed set to only one folder : my music folder... The one with nothing else but subfolders of neatly organised albums, and random mp3 and m3u files. Winamp wants me dead.

MrSinatra,
Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that you want to help me out, but seriously how hard can it be to at least read my first post ??

Quote:
When a song doesn't have a designate cover, Winamp decided all of sudden to display the same cover, coming from an individual mp3 with cover embedded. I tried to edit this mp3 and delete the cover from it and restarting Winamp, but it still displays this one when I play a song not associated to a cover.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support