Old 13th March 2016, 11:58   #1
Peaceful World

Foobar2000 vs Winamp Pro IMO

I have had Nulsoft Winamp Pro for years, unused, until this week. I used Foobar2000 then decided to try my Winamp. Install was seemless, added my large flac music lib, attached G-Force and it works great. Liking Winamp more each day. Not a tech guy and a minor audiophile in the vinyl world. I downloaded my CD's for playback on Windows.

The music bypasses the soundcard:
Windows 10 to NAD DAC through Audioquest USB A-B cable/Jitterbug They say Foobar200o sound is the best but my ears cannot tell the difference in a Winamp -Foobar2000 side by side.

I have not added 3rd party plugins to Winamp, I want simple storage and quality playback.

Keeping Foobar2000 just in case Winamp fails or I mess it up playing with settings. LOL
Thanks,
PW
Peaceful World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 04:04   #2
musicf8
Major Dude

I never understood the whole "this software sounds better" claim, especially when you are listening to lossy files. I think it has a lot to do with any eq manipulations that were done or whatever.

Anyway, welcome (back)

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp: (Winamp 5.8) is not an ongoing project get wacup

Winamp v5.6.6.3516 bumping on Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500 (Winamp 5.8 Beta )
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 11:01   #3
Tohno_Neil

The winamp is more reliable,IMO.
Tohno_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 12:41   #4
j7n

Foobar2000 is better if you have a mixture of different formats in your library and also wish to use detailed metadata with them. Almost all components in Foobar provide unlimited tagging, by extension – replaygain, unicode, as well as high precision decoding to floating point. Any format can be treated the same in the library.

In Winamp, input plugins provided by 3rd party developers are usually more limited.

If you don't use signal processing in your player at all, then it is unlikely to have an impact on sound quality, unless the decoder in use happens to have a bug, or if the input plugin outputs a lower amplitude signal due to limitations in its configuration of replaygain.
j7n is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion