Old 25th May 2010, 23:21   #1
beatsandmelody

Making the switch from 32 bit XP to 64 bit Windows 7

Hey everyone, I already did a search for "32 bit xp to windows 7 64 bit" but came up with nothing.

Those of you in the know, is there anything I should be aware of?

If I use Windows or something similar to back up my settings and data, will that be retained when I reinstalled the new Winamp, so all my ratings and such are saved?

Or should I use a 3rd party program to backup the settings and data?

I know there are 2 files related to the Media Library and ratings that can be copied for safekeeping but I just want more information.

Thanks!
beatsandmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 17:05   #2
robdog2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to robdog2004 Send a message via Yahoo to robdog2004
the import/export funtion built into winamp will backup the library for you (i believe with ratings and playcounts)
most ratings are now being stored within the files themselves(or i believe they are)
windows itself will not backup winamp (other than physical copy)
another file that we recommend backing up is the winamp.ini from the application data folder in your profiles name
any other data will be up to you

thanks rob
(c)rob 2013 (picture & SN)

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
robdog2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:44   #3
beatsandmelody

Thanks Rob,

I'll be sure to copy the files as well as use the export function.

I don't think I'm going to be using 64 bit Win 7 anymore... It just seems like there may be quite a hassle and compatibility issues...

Winamp and MediaPortal are the 2 most important things I wanted to migrate without losing settings and such, as I've obviously invested a lot of time customizing it. My CPU cannot do Win XP mode either. Boo.

But just as a test, I'm going to do a fresh install on a separate HDD and see if the new 64 bit OS takes to my old 32 bit settings...
Old 27th May 2010, 09:49   #4
robdog2004
Major Dude

from what i understand you can run 32 bit programs on the 64bit windows just not the other way around
if you have a 2 gig processor with at least 2gig memory you should be able to run xp mode within windows (these are min specs for 32bit)
also if you install win7 on a seperate harddrive by itself you wont have to format win xp just leave as is and have dual boot system until your sure about dropping it

thanks rob

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
Old 27th May 2010, 10:51   #5
ujay
Forum King

Whether you can use XP mode in Win7 will depend on the flavour you get. It's not available on 'Home'.

Moved from XP(32bit) to Win7(Home 64bit) without a hitch as far as running Winamp is concerned, but I don't do playlists and ratings and histories and stuff. Can't see why this should be a problem if you take appropriate backups.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 17:11   #6
robdog2004
Major Dude

thanks ujay
yeah i forgot about xp mode only being for pro and ultimate
since i got my software through the windows student site it was automatically pro version
but as you say there shouldnt be any problems once you make the switch

thanks rob

Old 27th May 2010, 17:49   #7
beatsandmelody

Win XP mode is not just dependent on cpu speed and memory. The CPU has to support it, and just owning a Core 2 Duo / Quad is not enough. In fact, I have a C2D E7300 and it does not support hardware virtualization.

Ratings are very important to me so I just want to make sure.

I think the probability of something going wrong isn't too high, but it's still a risk. I'm just anal in the way that I gather all my info beforehand... My PC is kind of the center of everything so I need to have something to fall back on, while at the same time avoiding hours doing something only to discover it won't work and then spending hours going back.

I'm going to try and restore these backups on to another pc/hdd and we'll see.

I hope that the files created by Windows Easy Transfer don't get deleted after being restored. That way I can use WET to restore it on a test device and then if all goes well, follow through.

Honestly though, I've read that MediaPortal has issues win 64 bit Win 7, and that is just as important as Winamp because it handles all my movies and TV shows.

Although, during my testing, I'm going to see if Windows Media Center is sufficient for me. I actually didn't mind the 2005 version. It wasn't as good as MediaPortal, but it was good enough for me.

Thank you to every one who responded!

Last edited by beatsandmelody; 27th May 2010 at 17:56. Reason: posted prematurely
Old 27th May 2010, 19:08   #8
robdog2004
Major Dude

well its good we got your cleared away
best thing i can recommend is that if your gonna install win 7 on a seperate harddrive anyway is to let the setup know not to use the xp harddrive and youll be able to use both operating systems so you can switch back if you want, easiest for transfering settings from one system to another (do setup at startup of machine not upgrade from within win xp itself (may have to change boot options to boot from cd/dvd drive))
as for mediaportal i believe there is a setting in win7 64bit to run programs as 32 bit (since your saying there is a issue)

thanks rob

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
32 bit, 64 bit, upgrading, windows 7, windows xp