Old 21st August 2016, 15:05   #1
Dwedit

Winamp steals .msc file extension, breaking system

I don't know the exact combination of input plugins required to trigger this, but on my Windows 10 machine, Winamp stole the file extension .msc away from Microsoft Management Console. This is a vital system file extension, and it should be blacklisted from Winamp taking it away.
Dwedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016, 16:22   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Technically, this is not a bug (your request should be added to the wishlist sub-forum). Changing the default list of Winamp supported file format extensions is probably not going to happen, certainly not anytime soon. Some file format extensions are used for multiple formats. It is not possible to have unique extensions for everything. Currently Winamp relies on a file's extension, instead of examining a file's contents, to determine what format a file is actually using. Winamp is very old and with the changes to the way extensions are used, this method of determining a file's format does need to be updated.

The .msc extension is also used for the audio format related to "AdLib MSCplay" files. This usage predates Windows current usage of this extension for something else. When installing Winamp, the custom install mode must be used to go thru and select (manually Blacklist) the audio and video file format extensions you actually want Winamp to automatically play (when they are selected), instead of allowing the selection of all of the file format extensions Winamp tries to support (the default option).

Here is a link to a list of the default file format extensions associated with Winamp during a full (automatic) installation (http://www.file-extensions.org/winamp-file-extensions).

For those who don't already know:

Windows 8 thru 10 try to block apps from changing their file format associations after they are installed. Use the Windows "Default Programs" utility in it's Control Panel to make these changes. Use the right click (context menu) on the Start Button to get to the Control Panel. Select the "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" option in the utility. Then click on the "Current Default" column heading to group the assigned associations by program and scroll down to the Winamp group. Change the associations you don't want associated with Winamp. You can also use this utility to reassign file format extensions to Winamp that were 'highjacked' by other programs.

It wouldn't hurt to also use the Winamp Preferences to disable the file format extension selections you don't want Winamp associated with, in case Windows 10 is not successful (after a reboot) in blocking the 'wrong' selections Winamp was installed to use.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Last edited by Aminifu; 21st August 2016 at 18:24.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016, 19:16   #3
Dwedit

Thanks for the response.

The problem is that the file association was happening even if I didn't go into Winamp's File Types list and click on that particular file type.

Then after the reassociation happens, windows 8/10 stops you from trying to change it back without use of registry editing or a third-party file extensions editor.
Old 21st August 2016, 19:50   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

I never tried Windows 8 or 8.1. I'm using the version of Windows 10 prior to the Anniversary Update and I know the new Settings utilities are not very helpful for changing file type associations. But the old utility in the Control Panel works for me.

Are you using the Anniversary Update or are you saying the old utility in the Control Panel doesn't work for you? Either way, it seems you have found a work-around. Bottom line, I agree that Winamp needs to change how it detects and handles file formats, but nothing is going to happen in the foreseeable future.

Old 22nd August 2016, 00:57   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Here is a link to a list of the default file format extensions associated with Winamp during a full (automatic) installation (http://www.file-extensions.org/winamp-file-extensions).
Hmm, that's not an accurate list.
Many of the extensions listed there require 3rd-party plugins.

I don't even think .MSC is a default supported extension.
Isn't it added by the AdPlug plugin or some other old 3rd-party game music input plugin?

The list of default extensions can be found here:
http://help.winamp.com/customer/en/p...layer-features
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 17:21   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

I admit I was surprised to see the .msc extension in the list provided by file-extensions.org. It would be good to know if the association in Windows 10 (reported by Dwedit) was made by the Winamp installer or a 3rd party plug-in. A Winamp Info Tool report of Dwedit's configuration may provide an answer.

I don't have this association with my configuration of Winamp on Windows 10, but the bigger question is why won't the tools provided by Windows 10 let Dwedit change the association on his computer. Maybe the account he is using doesn't have the necessarily privileges. On my computer .msc is associated with "LaunchWinApp.exe" and I don't have any trouble using the tools associated with the Microsoft Management Console. I'm using an administrator group account.

Old 25th August 2016, 15:43   #7
Dwedit

I believe Windows 10 locks you out of changing "system" file extensions, like .EXE, or .DLL, etc, also including .MSC.

Annoying because I want to open .DLL files with Dependency Walker by default, but can't do it without third party file association tools.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports