Old 27th March 2017, 20:12   #1
eager to learn

Music - Time Computation

Hi,

I was wondering how I can ascertain how much all my music adds up to time wise?

Ex. I have 109 songs - they all add up to 5 hours 16 minutes 12 seconds.

How do I get WinAmp to calculate all the time all the songs are adding up to?

Do I first create a Playlist in WinAmp?

If so, how do I do that?

Once a playlist is created, can I just copy/paste songs into that playlist?

Once all the songs are in a playlist, how do I calculate all the music time?

Will this work if I have both .wav and .mp3 files?

Thank you so very much!!!
eager to learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 16:03   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

Winamp will display the total play time of all your music files in any Media Library view that lists all of your music files. Winamp also displays the total play time of all the files (including any duplicates) listed in the Playlist Editor (at the bottom of it's window/panel).

You asked in 2011 and again in 2013 how to make playlists with Winamp. Each time you were given advice. Are you really 'eager to learn' or do you just want to be told what to do?

Ok, people learn in different ways and at different speeds. A playlist is just a text file that lists the names of 1 or more files and the folder(s) the file(s) is/are in. There are many ways to make playlists with Winamp. To tell you 1 of them without talking down to you, or using terms you don't understand, a basic level of what you do understand must be established before I can try to help you.

Do you know what 'context menus' are and how to use them? Do you know what the Winamp Playlist Editor is? Do you know how to add all of your music files to Winamp's Media Library? Which skin are you using? What version of Windows are you using?

Also, you should be using the current patched version of Winamp (unless you have specific reasons not to). Download links to installers for this version are in post #2 of the "Winamp News" thread. Click on the following blue text to open that thread (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=374929). If you don't have the current patched version installed, you don't need to uninstall what you have. Just download and run the installer and it will update the version you have.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 18:19   #3
eager to learn

Hi Aminifu,

I do not know what 'context menus' are or how to use them nor do I know what the Winamp Playlist Editor is, nor do I know how to add all of my music files to Winamp's Media Library.

I don't know what skin I'm using. It's black with yellow up and down sliders to adjust volume levels.

I'm a very beginner so I very much appreciate all your kind help and understanding.

Thank you!
Old 28th March 2017, 18:57   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, we will take things step by step.

It would help to know what skin you're using so that I could tell you exactly where to point and click. If you know how to use the main menu to get to where you can select a skin, it should list all the skins you have installed and a check mark next to the name of the one you are currently using. If not, we can start with keyboard shortcuts that work with all skins.

Are you using the current patched version of Winamp? What version of Windows?

I work 3rd shift and need to be going to bed fairly soon, so we will get started tomorrow when I return home (about 9:30 am Central time zone).

Old 28th March 2017, 19:10   #5
eager to learn

Hi Aminifu,

I'm sorry I do *not* know how to use the main menu.

I do not know how to detect which skin I'm using if you could pls share how I can do that?

Is there a Help tab I can click like in MS products?

Thank you!
Old 29th March 2017, 16:03   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

I'm going to try to answer your questions, but you also need to answer mine. What I will ask you to do can change depending on your answers. Don't hesitate to ask me to better explain anything I write that you don't understand.

There is old help info available from when AOL owned Winamp. Some of it is no longer applicable since AOL sold Winamp to Radionomy 3 years ago. Press the "F1" keyboard function key when Winamp is the active app and this info will be displayed in your default web-browser.

Some basics___

When an app is started a square or rectangular box (referred to as a window) appears on the screen containing stationary and moving text and images (referred to as content). The initial window displayed is sometimes not large enough to show all of it's content. In this case there may be a scroll bar along the right-hand side of the window that lets you scroll up and down in order to see more of the content. Or a scroll bar may be along the bottom of the window that lets you scroll left and right. Sometimes both of these scroll bars are present.

Across the top of an app's window is a narrow strip called the title bar. The title bar should contain the name of the app and at least 4 control buttons. The control on the far left-hand side will open a menu when you click on it. What is shown in this menu depends on the app, there could be a few items or several. The 3 controls on the far right-hand side will minimize, maximize, or close the app when you click on the corresponding button.

The pointing device (called a mouse) used with a PC has 2 buttons/switches on the top (there could also be a scroll wheel and more buttons/switches on the sides). By default the top button on the left is used to click on what is being pointed to. This makes it easy for right-handed people to use the finger next to their thumb on their right hand to quickly push and release (click) the button. It is possible to reconfigure a mouse so that the top button on right can be used to click. This makes it easier for left-handed people to use a mouse.

I assume you're using a mouse with the default configuration. So when I tell you to click on something, I expect you will use the top button on the left-hand side. When I tell you to right-click, I expect you will use the top button on the right-hand side. Of course, if you're using a mouse configured for left hand use, these actions will be reversed.

Now let's find out what Winamp skin you're using___

Start Winamp and right-click anywhere in the title bar, except on any of the control buttons in the title bar. This should cause the main menu to open in a pop-up window. With some skins, clicking on the control button on the far left-hand side of the title bar will also cause the main menu to open.

There are a number of items (commands) listed in the main menu. Some commands have 3 periods immediately to the right of their names. Clicking on any of these commands will cause another pop-up window to open that will let you enter information that the command needs to execute. Some commands have a right pointing triangle to the right of their names. When you point to any of these commands, another sub-menu opens with more commands related to the main command that was pointed to. It may take a few seconds for the sub-menu to appear. Some commands don't have the 3 periods or the triangle. These commands will be executed immediately when you click on them.

Winamp supports 2 general kinds of skins (classic and modern). Look in the main menu for the "Skins" command and point to it. A sub-menu will open that will let you point to the commands for "Classic Skins" or "Modern Skins". Both of these commands with open another sub-menu that lists the skins installed (classic or modern, as applicable). Look for a skin name in either list that has a check mark to the left of the name. If you have a lot of skins installed you may need to scroll until you see the selected skin (i.e. the skin name with the check mark).

Post the name of the skin you're using and the answers to my earlier questions.

Last edited by Aminifu; 29th March 2017 at 17:09.
Old 29th March 2017, 18:33   #7
eager to learn

Hi Aminifu,

Thank you so much for your continuing help.

I will need to post that skin type tomorrow so I will go home and check for that and then post it.

Is there any kind of a comparison chart comparing the pros/cons of the various skins?

Are there some skins better and/or easier to sue than others?

Thank you again.
Old 29th March 2017, 19:47   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Are you using the current patched version of Winamp? What version of Windows?

There are a few hundred skins available that still work with the current versions of Winamp and Windows. There are no comparison charts that I'm aware of.

Picking a skin is a very subjective thing. It depends on personal tastes and which Winamp features a person uses most often.

Classic skins provide separate windows for displaying the different default functions and features. These windows may be opened and closed as needed. Modern skins can display all the default functions and features within separate window panes (called panels) within 1 overall window. Most of these panels can be resized within the overall window. Some modern skins allow panels to be opened and closed as needed.

There are a few websites that maintain collections of skins. You could browse thru them to see if anything strikes your fancy visually. The mechanics of working with the default Winamp functions and features are basically the same with all skins, it's just that the controls would be in different places. Some skins also add features that are not part of the default features.

In addition, Winamp is modular, so it is possible to install a configuration that doesn't include all of it's default functions and features. In that case, you wouldn't want a modern skin that displays or attempts to display (resulting in a blank panel) something that you would never use.

Old 29th March 2017, 20:15   #9
eager to learn

I downloaded this - Winamp 5.666 Full (US English version).

I think I have a classic version skin as it opens to 2 windows of features. I'll double check which one I have.

Thank you!
Old 30th March 2017, 03:29   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

The post in the Winamp News thread has links to the patched and unpatched versions of 5.666. I hope you downloaded a patched installer. The unpatched version may have problems adding the names and storage locations of all of your mp3 music files to it's media library and a few minor issues with a couple of other features.

Do you know what version of Windows you have? Is it XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, or 10? Winamp will probably still work on XP, but XP is no longer supported and there is no official help with any problems that may occur using that version of Windows. I've never used Winamp on XP, 8, and 8.1; so I will probably not be able to help much with any problems related to those versions.

Old 30th March 2017, 16:41   #11
eager to learn

Hi Aminifu,

Right clicking on the narrow strip along the top (title bar ?) displays a drop down menu which lists the word “Skins” which when clicked on displays a check mark next to <Base Skin>
Does that help any?

I'm using Windows 7 (32 bit) and I downloaded the English version full from the older post on this forum.

I have a .png of what the skin looks like. How do I post/upload that graphic to this forum?

Or I could upload the image to a site like SendItToMe or similar site and then post the link to that image here?

It’s challenging as when I copy/paste your posts into MS Word 2003 it misses some of your words to the far right of the screen. I’ve reduced the margins in MS Word to Left and Right 0.2 and top and bottom to 0.3 and even reduced the font to size 8 but it still misses words.
Thank you for your understanding.
Old 30th March 2017, 16:45   #12
eager to learn

I just checked the download which - winamp5666_full_en_us_redux.exe 9.84MB - is that the correct download?

Thank you!
Old 30th March 2017, 17:19   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by eager to learn View Post
Hi Aminifu,

Right clicking on the narrow strip along the top (title bar ?) displays a drop down menu which lists the word “Skins” which when clicked on displays a check mark next to <Base Skin>
Does that help any?
Not much. I didn't ask you to click on the word "Skins"; just point to it and after a few seconds another sub-menu should open with the words "Classic Skins" and "Modern Skins". Then when you point to "Classic Skins" or "Modern Skins" another menu should open with the list of installed classic or modern skins. Are you saying that this is not happening?

Quote:
I have a .png of what the skin looks like. How do I post/upload that graphic to this forum?

Or I could upload the image to a site like SendItToMe or similar site and then post the link to that image here?
You can use this site's advance reply editor to upload the .png and then attach it to a post. If you need step by step instructions for that, it may be easier to upload the image to another site and post the link.

Quote:
It’s challenging as when I copy/paste your posts into MS Word 2003 it misses some of your words to the far right of the screen. I’ve reduced the margins in MS Word to Left and Right 0.2 and top and bottom to 0.3 and even reduced the font to size 8 but it still misses words.
Thank you for your understanding.
I don't know why you can't copy and paste complete posts to MS Word. Are you sure you are selecting (highlighting) the entire post, then right-clicking on the selected post and selecting the copy command? Is so, then you should be able to go to Word and right-click at the spot in the document where you want to paste and select the paste command.

Old 30th March 2017, 17:26   #14
eager to learn

Not much. I didn't ask you to click on the word "Skins"; just point to it and after a few seconds another sub-menu should open with the words "Classic Skins" and "Modern Skins". Then when you point to "Classic Skins" or "Modern Skins" another menu should open with the list of installed classic or modern skins. Are you saying that this is not happening?
- That is *not* happening-

I don't know why you can't copy and paste complete posts to MS Word. Are you sure you are selecting (highlighting) the entire post, then right-clicking on the selected post and selecting the copy command. Is so, then you should be able to go to Word and right-click at the spot in the document where you want to paste and select the paste command.
_ This is not exclusive to this list. There's something graphically going on when one copies and pastes whether it's Ctrl C and Ctrl V content from a Web site into MS Word (it may be tables at work) But, I've also tried right clicking the mouse and choosing copy and then in MS Word right clicking the mouse and choosing paste and I get the same skewed results in MS Word.
Old 30th March 2017, 17:26   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
I just checked the download which - winamp5666_full_en_us_redux.exe 9.84MB - is that the correct download?

Thank you!
Yes, that is a patched installer.

Old 30th March 2017, 17:28   #16
eager to learn

Calculating Music

This is the png of my winamp skin.
Old 30th March 2017, 17:30   #17
eager to learn

Hi,

Do you see my png?

I visited Advance and chose "Choose from File" l ciicked on that png file and clicked Close and then hit submit.

Thanks.
Old 30th March 2017, 17:34   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
- That is *not* happening-
Have you installed the update yet? If not, do so and then see if my instructions work. If you have already installed the update, then something strange is going on. We can get to the bottom of it, but I'm again running out of time today. It may be best to pick this back up this weekend.

I don't know why you can't copy and paste complete posts to MS Word. Are you sure you are selecting (highlighting) the entire post, then right-clicking on the selected post and selecting the copy command. Is so, then you should be able to go to Word and right-click at the spot in the document where you want to paste and select the paste command.
_ This is not exclusive to this list. There's something graphically going on when one copies and pastes whether it's Ctrl C and Ctrl V content from a Web site into MS Word (it may be tables at work) But, I've also tried right clicking the mouse and choosing copy and then in MS Word right clicking the mouse and choosing paste and I get the same skewed results in MS Word.[/QUOTE]

That is strange! What browser are you using?

Old 30th March 2017, 17:44   #19
eager to learn

Have you installed the update yet? If not, do so and then see if my instructions work.
- What update? You asked what version I downloaded so I posted that. Is ther a url for that update you're referring to? Can I download that update to a flash drive and then import that update over from the flash drive? I do not have the laptop where my ISP is.

I have both highlighted ALL the contents and also done and Ctrl-A to do grab all the content. Makes no difference. I'm using Chrome (latest version). I know from a Word expert that many Web site editors place content in tables so you have to extract the content out of the tables they created to view it all and format it *even in plain text) in MS Word. Do the web content creators share that? Nope. But, your posts do not look like it's in a table.
Old 30th March 2017, 17:45   #20
eager to learn

Catching up with posts. Is that patched installer I have what I should have installed?
Old 30th March 2017, 17:51   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Hi,

Do you see my png?

I visited Advance and chose "Choose from File" l ciicked on that png file and clicked Close and then hit submit.

Thanks.
No, I don't.

On the advanced editor page, below where you write your post is a button labeled "Manage Attachments" (MA). Click on it and another window opens (you need to maximize this window or scroll right and left and up and down to see everything in it). This window has a browse button that (when clicked) lets you browse to the folder the image is in on your computer. After you have selected the image file, then you can click the upload button in the MA window. After you get the upload complete message, you can close this window.

Then write a few words in the message post area and look above that area to the right for the attachments control box. Clicking on the down arrow in this box should list the attachment (file) you just uploaded. Click on it and it should be added to your post.

Yeah, a lot of stuff to do just to add an image to a post.

Old 30th March 2017, 17:59   #22
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Have you installed the update yet? If not, do so and then see if my instructions work.
- What update? You asked what version I downloaded so I posted that. Is ther a url for that update you're referring to? Can I download that update to a flash drive and then import that update over from the flash drive? I do not have the laptop where my ISP is.
We are posting too fast and stepping on each other's posts. I answered you above about the installer you downloaded. Yes, it is the right one. When you run it, it will update the version of Winamp you current have installed. So I was calling the file you downloaded, the update.

Quote:
I have both highlighted ALL the contents and also done and Ctrl-A to do grab all the content. Makes no difference. I'm using Chrome (latest version). I know from a Word expert that many Web site editors place content in tables so you have to extract the content out of the tables they created to view it all and format it *even in plain text) in MS Word. Do the web content creators share that? Nope. But, your posts do not look like it's in a table.
I have never used Chrome, so I don't know if it is Chrome or Word that is causing the problem. What happens if you try to copy and paste to Windows Notepad?

Old 30th March 2017, 18:01   #23
eager to learn

Calculating music

png - can you see it now?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winamp Skin.png
Views:	52
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	53127  
Old 30th March 2017, 18:04   #24
Aminifu
Forum King

Yes! Great! That is the basic (built in) skin.

Do you want to continue tomorrow or Saturday?

Old 30th March 2017, 18:17   #25
eager to learn

Tomorrow is good. Is there an update I now need to download? Url for that update? Can I migrate the update from a flash drive to the laptop to install with Winamp? Thank you.
Old 30th March 2017, 18:31   #26
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, tomorrow it is.

No, there is nothing else you need to download and install for now.

I assume when you ran the installer, you didn't install any of the additional skins in it. So when you pointed at "Skins" in the main menu a sub-menu didn't appear because you don't have any other skins installed.

In any case, it's nothing to worry about. We should now be able to make faster progress and maybe even finish with your initial questions tomorrow.

Old 30th March 2017, 18:33   #27
eager to learn

Thank you for all your kind patience.

Have a good night and we'll chat again tomorrow.
Old 31st March 2017, 17:27   #28
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in posting. i had a few errands to run.

First, a quick question___

There are usually more than 1 way to get a computer program to do something. I'm wondering if you discovered another way to attached the screenshot in post #23, other than using the process I outlined in post #21.

Tool Tips___

Winamp has an option that lets you enable or disable tool tips. Tool tips are small pop-up labels that provide a short description of what is being pointed at. They mostly appear for control buttons and can be helpful when first learning the major function of various controls.

Context Menus___

Context menus are menus that appear when you right-click on what the mouse is pointing at. They contain items related to what is being pointed at, or in other words, has some additional context associated with what is being pointed at__thus the name: context menu. For example, right-click on the play button in the Winamp main player window. You should see a context menu listing 3 commands related to playing a file. Now, right-click on the previous track button. You should see a context menu listing 3 commands related to previous playback options.

Winamp uses context menus for almost everything displayed in a skin. Try it out. Point to anything, anywhere; then right-click and see if a context menu appears. Winamp's main menu is a context menu and can appear when you right-click on things and in places other than the title bar.

Playlist Editor___

A name associated with every file played (or added for playback) by Winamp is first added to the listing shown in the Playlist Editor window, before a file is played. This occurs if the Playlist Editor window is open or closed. By default, this name tries to include the artist name and song title for the file. It is possible to create an expression that will display a name containing other info related to the file. Also, by default, names for new files played (or added for playback) are added to the end of the list of names already in the Playlist Editor. The names listed are saved when Winamp is shutdown and are re-listed in the Playlist Editor window (even if the window is closed) when Winamp is started again. This makes it easy to select 1 or more files for replay without having to re-add them. You can remove names from the listing before shutdown if you don't want them to reappear when Winamp is restarted.

These names can be preceded by a number to denote their position within the listing and are followed by the playback time for the file (if it can be determined). The playback time for the file in your screenshot shows 0:00. Do you know why that is?

Playlists___

Playlists are text files that list the filenames and locations of digital media that you want a digital media player to play. They also contain the names associated with the files that are displayed in the digital media player. Open a playlist in Windows Notepad to see what they look like.

Winamp is able to create 2 kinds of playlists. They are referred to as internal or library playlists and external playlists. Internal playlists contain additional information that only Winamp understands how to use and they are stored in a special folder that Winamp creates and controls. External playlists do not contain any special information and can be used by any digital media player. They are stored in any folder you chose. Winamp is able to use external playlists made by other digital media players.

I suggest you do not try to use internal playlists until you better understand how Winamp uses them. I think this is the kind of playlist you were trying to make that didn't work like you expected.

I will explain how to use the Playlist Editor to make external playlists in the next post, if you don't have any questions related to this one.

Old 31st March 2017, 18:32   #29
eager to learn

No problemo. I appreciate your help.

Your post #21 solved the upload/attachment issue

OK, I think now that I know I have the correct Wimamp version and do not need any updates/patches and have read you last post I'm ready to try to proceed in developing the process to calcualte all the music time.

Thank you.
Old 31st March 2017, 18:55   #30
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, we'll get back to making external playlists later.

You did not answer why the file shown in your screenshot doesn't display it's run (playback) time.

What type (format) of file is it? All digital media files contain a header, that tell what format the file is using and it's run time (at a minimum). Maybe, you didn't associate the file's format with Winamp during installation. Winamp needs to know what formats you want it to handle and then it will attempt to read the applicable file headers (determine run time and other things).

It is possible to associate file types with Winamp after installation. Do you know how to do that?

Old 31st March 2017, 20:09   #31
eager to learn

I did not load any music in to Winamp as I've never done that.

All I did was click on the icon and it loaded. Then I did a screenshot for skin ID purposes only.

I have .wav and .mp3 files.

Does Winamp recognize those formats automatically? VLC Media Player recognize them automatically - no file format association needed.
Old 1st April 2017, 15:38   #32
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
I did not load any music in to Winamp as I've never done that.

All I did was click on the icon and it loaded. Then I did a screenshot for skin ID purposes only.
The Winamp installer does install a file (for testing purposes) that is automatically loaded the first time Winamp is ran after installation. The file shown in your screenshot ("Talking Heads - I Get Wild Wild Gravity") is not it. The run time for that file listed is probably not shown because Winamp can't find it on your computer. For now, let's not worry about how it got in the Playlist Editor list.

Winamp reads files from their storage locations in order to play them. If any files listed in the Playlist Editor are not where Winamp 'thinks' they are (i.e. if they are on a removable storage device that is not attached or in a different folder) then Winamp will not be able to read their headers, then decode and play them.

Quote:
I have .wav and .mp3 files.

Does Winamp recognize those formats automatically? VLC Media Player recognize them automatically - no file format association needed.
Yes, Winamp will recognize those formats. However, if you want Winamp to be the default player for those formats (and have Windows automatically load Winamp and have those kind of files automatically start playing when you double-click on them in Windows Explorer), then those formats have to be associated with Winamp.

Moving on___

Your screenshot shows 3 windows open; the Main Player, the Equalizer, and the Playlist Editor. I suggest you resize the Playlist Editor window to make is easier to see what is in it without having to do a lot of scrolling.

Point to the lower right corner of that window (the area that has a series of slanted lines that look like a triangle pointing to the corner). The mouse pointer symbol should change to look like it has small arrowheads or triangles (pointing in different directions) attached to it. This is the symbol for the horizontal & vertical resizing control. Press and hold down the click button and move (drag) the mouse down and to the right. Release the click button when the window's new shape is what you want. This process allows you make the width and height of the Playlist Editor window be the same as the 2 windows above it or larger than them.

Adding files to Winamp's Media Library___

You can use the main menu to point to the "Options" command to open it's sub-menu. Then slide the pointer over and click on the "Preferences" command that is listed at the top of that sub-menu. This causes the Winamp Preferences window to open. You can also use the keyboard shortcut <Ctrl+P> (press both the Ctrl and P keys at the same time, then release them) to open this window. The keyboard shortcuts for the menu commands, that have them, are shown next to the commands in the menus.

Look on the left side of the Winamp Preferences window for the words "Local Library" under the "Media Library" heading and click on them. Then look on the right side (there should be 2 tabs) and click on the words "Watch Folders" (above the tabs) to display the watch folders options tab.

Click on the button labeled "Add folder..." below the box that lists folder names. This opens another window that lets you browse to the root folder where your music files are stored. Click on the name of the root folder (to select it) and then click on the "Add" button at the bottom of this window. A root folder is the folder that contains the sub-folders that contain the music files.

You should see the name of the root folder listed in the box on the watch folders options tab. If you have more than 1 root folder for your music files, then repeat this process until all your root folders are listed in the box. Then click on the button (below and to the right) labeled "Rescan now".

A progress message is displayed during the scanning. When the scanning is finished, click the "Close" button on the buttom left side of the Windows Preferences window to close it.

Below the root folders list box and to the left of the "Rescan now" button are 4 options. Click in the small box the the left of each option to enable those you want to use.

I suggest you enable the "Automatically remove missing files" option, at least. Missing files are those that are not in the locations they were in when they were scanned into the media library. Do not enable this option if you have files on removable storage devices that will not be attached when you run Winamp. In that case, with this option enabled, those files will be removed and will need to be re-scanned into the media library again when the storage device is re-attached.

If you don't enable either of the automatic rescan options, then you will have to return to this tab and click the "Rescan now" button after adding new files to any of the folders in your watch folders list. If you create a new root folder with sub-folders of files, then you need to return to this tab and add the new root folder to the list of root folders.

Last edited by Aminifu; 1st April 2017 at 17:28.
Old 1st April 2017, 18:32   #33
Aminifu
Forum King

Unintentional duplicate file records in the media library___

I suggested you enable the "Automatically remove missing files" option to cut down on unintentional duplicate records in the media library database. However, this may cause other problems as I stated in the post #32 above.

Winamp associates a file's location with it's name. If you move a file to a different folder, the record for the file in it's old location will stay in the library database until it is automatically or manually removed. If you copy a file to a different folder and it is scanned into the library, then Winamp will treat it as a new file (instead of a copy) and create a database record for it. This will cause the same file to be listed twice in the library. This can cause confusion unless you chose to have the filenames and the file locations shown in the Media Library window.

After Winamp 'knows' where your files are and can read them, it will display the total run (play) time of all your music files (including any duplicates) in any Media Library view that lists all of your music files. Winamp also displays the total run (play) time of all the readable files (including any duplicates) listed in the Playlist Editor window. In your screenshot, look at the bottom middle of the Playlist Editor window. You will see 0:00/0:00. The number to the left of the diagonal line will be the run time of the selected (or playing) file, in minutes and seconds. The number to the right of the diagonal line will be the total run time for all of the readable files listed in the Playlist Editor.

Metadata (tags)___

Most digital music file formats allow metadata (referred to as tags) to be added to a file's header. These tags contain information associated with the music file; like the artist name, song title, album name, track number on the album, genre (style of music, e.g. pop, jazz, rock, etc.), year of album or song release, BPM (the song's beats per minute timing which is useful to know when making mixes) and other information. Winamp allows you to use it's <Alt+3> tag editor to manually add or correct tags in digital music files (like mp3s) that support tags. Click on a mp3 file listed in the Playlist Editor or Media Library (to select it), then use the keyboard shortcut to open this tag editor. There are apps available (like "MP3Tag") that will search the internet for metadata and automatically add tags to files with formats that support them. You still need to check these tags to make sure they are correct. None of these automatic taggers are 100% correct.

The wav file format does not support metadata tags, but Winamp allows you to use it's <Shift+E> tag editor to manually add this information to a wav file's library database record. Click on a wav file listed in the Playlist Editor or Media Library (to select it), then use the keyboard shortcut to open this tag editor.

Commands to open these tag editors are also listed in the context menu that appears when you right-click on a file listed in the Playlist Editor or Media Library.

Winamp will try to guess tag information if it is included in a file's name. I don't recommend allowing Winamp to do this because it can guess wrong and the info must be added in the same order in every file name. Also, including tag info in a file's name can lead to very long file names.

The watch folders options tab in the Winamp Preferences is where you can disable metadata tag guessing. Click on the button labeled "Configure" at the bottom right side of this tab.

The full power of Winamp is unleashed when all your music files contain, or are associated with, a correct basic set of tags. Then you can use Winamp to sort and present your files for viewing and/or playback in all kinds of ways, that are useful to you, based on these tags.

Say you want to hear (or list) all of your music of a particular genre (style) released in a particular year or decade. You can provide Winamp the filtering info and it will quickly generate a list of the corresponding files. You can also save the filtering info into what is called a "smart view" that will always be available in the Media Library when you want to use it. Smart views are automatically updated when you open them to include any new corresponding files that were added to the media library since the last time the view was used. All of the default views available in the Media Library are smart views.

Tags are also used in the expression that you can create that determines what name you see (associated with a file) in the Playlist Editor. It may be useful to have more than the artist name and song title displayed. Look in the Winamp Preferences and click on "Titles" listed on the left. On the right is a tab with a section labeled "Advanced Title Formatting" where you can enter a custom expression. There is also a link to a help file (that opens in your web browser) that explains how to format an expression.

Last edited by Aminifu; 1st April 2017 at 19:37.
Old 1st April 2017, 19:43   #34
eager to learn

Lots to read.

Does this boil down to me having to rename all my music from .wav and/or .mp3 to something else for Winamp to recognize to create a playlist in Winamp so I can then tabulate all the music time?

Thank you.
Old 1st April 2017, 19:52   #35
Aminifu
Forum King

Arranging Winamp Windows___

Your screenshot shows the 3 windows touching each other. You can change the order (i.e. put different windows on top of, or beside, each other) or separate the windows from each other all together. Point to the title bar of a window, then press and hold down the click button and move (drag) the mouse to move the window to a different location on the screen. Release the click button when the window is where you want it.

You probably already know this, but I wanted to mention it in case you didn't.

Old 1st April 2017, 20:00   #36
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Lots to read.

Does this boil down to me having to rename all my music from .wav and/or .mp3 to something else for Winamp to recognize to create a playlist in Winamp so I can then tabulate all the music time?

Thank you.
Sorry for all the words, but please read it all carefully. I wanted to be sure to explain everything, since I don't know what you already know. Let me know if things don't work as I have stated, or I skipped over something you see while trying to follow my instructions, or you need me to explain anything in a better way.

If you use tags, then no you don't have to rename your files. First, I suggest you follow the instructions to get all your files into the Media Library. Then open and resize the Media Library window to see if the information shown there makes sense, before adding tags to, or for, your files.

Old 2nd April 2017, 02:03   #37
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

I made an error in post #33 above.

This sentence__ "The number to the left of the diagonal line will be the run time of the selected (or playing) file, in minutes and seconds." should has said__"The number to the left of the diagonal line will be the run time of a selected file or group of selected files, in minutes and seconds (which may or may not include the file that is currently playing)."

If no files are selected then 0:00 will be displayed to the left of the diagonal line. It is possible to have Winamp play thru the files in the Playlist Editor without any of them being selected. For example, you can load a playlist and have Winamp automatically start playback beginning with the 1st file in the playlist.

A selected file is highlighted with a color that is different than the color used to highlight the file that is currently playing. The specific colors depend on the color theme selected for the skin. If the currently playing file is selected then the 2 colors will be blended together. Click (or right-click) once on a file to select it, double-click to make the file start playing (or start over if it is already playing).

It is possible to select a file in the Playlist Editor's listing other than the file that is currently playing, in order to perform certain actions on it while another file is playing. For example, you may want to open the context menu for the file in order to open a tag editor so that you can change a tag in the file (or it's media library record), or add another tag to it (or it's media library record).

You can also do this for the file that is currently playing, but I don't recommend it. It may cause the playback to skip.

Or you may want to select 1 or more files (other than the file currently playing) in order to change where it or they are listed (just click & drag it or them up or down in the listing). To consecutively select more than 1 file, click on the 1st file in the group then hold down the keyboard Shift key and click on the last file in the group. To select a group of files that are not next to each other, hold down the keyboard Ctrl key and click on the files you want.

Right-click on the button labeled "SEL" at the bottom of the Playlist Editor window (on the left hand side) and click on the "Select none" command in it's context menu to un-select all selected files.

Last edited by Aminifu; 2nd April 2017 at 03:42.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support