Old 19th January 2011, 00:16   #1
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Interesting - Global Warming

I didn't realize how bad things have become

The Washington Post

The Arctic ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen, Norway. Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes. Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

Oops! Never mind. This report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the Associated Press and published in the Washington Post - 88 years ago!
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 01:07   #2
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Heh!

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 01:45   #3
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Oh yeah, never mind that 2010 was the joint warmest year since temperatures have been measured world wide (along with 2005).

Carry on making fun about those who actually know and care about these things.

Just build a wall around your whole country and put a roof on top, but make sure it's air-tight. Then you can pollute all you want.
Don't worry, God won't let you suffocate.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 09:51   #4
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaekwad2 View Post
Oh yeah, never mind that 2010 was the joint warmest year since temperatures have been measured world wide (along with 2005).

odd.... it was by far the coldest winter i can ever remember in oregon, it got down to -4 celsius at the lowest, that's probably one of (if not the) first time oregon has had temperatures dip into the negatives in liveable areas, granted measuring in celsius to show -4 degrees is pretty much cheating since no one in their right mind measures temperature except in farenheit.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 03:57   #5
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaekwad2 View Post

Those that "actually know" don't really know anything at all, that's why first there was talk about global cooling, than global warming, but now they call it just climate change. That way they got the bases covered.

One thing is for sure though. Al Gore cares. He cares a hell of a lot about the millions he has made from it.

And that is what it is all about anyway, just follow the money.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 08:08   #6
mr-rolf

We cant get around that we make changes to the world, and yes we dont know how it will effect us. But of cause it will have some effect.
mr-rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 15:23   #7
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-rolf View Post
We cant get around that we make changes to the world,
Do you have any indisputable, replicated, tested, and demonstrated evidence backed with independently verifiable empirical data studied upon by real statisticians to substantiate that claim?
Quote:
and yes we dont know how it will effect us.
That's about the most truthful statement I've ever seen an "Anthropomorphic Climate Change" proponent make.
Quote:
But of cause it will have some effect.
So far the only thing these junk scientists have been able to prove is their ignorance of exactly how climate works. The effect is not in question, the cause is.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 16:17   #8
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
i think it's arguable that the main effect of global warming that every person on the planet has seen is that once again al gore looks like an idiot.

then again, has he ever not?

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 06:28   #9
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
If people can't see that this is one of the biggest scams in the history of the planet, they are a complete idiot.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2015, 03:26   #10
webthing
Forum King

Global warming is causing rain to melt the Greenland ice sheet Nov. 1 2015

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...land-ice-sheet
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 13:56   #11
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

In Memorian to the Legendary Polar Landscapes with the Legendary Polar Lights...
http://sternenmaschinebine.deviantart.com/gallery/

Oh my Lovely Ice Landscapes, I will miss You...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 15:39   #12
gaekwad2
Foorum King

But... it's all a scam. Didn't you read the incredible wisdom dished out in the rest of the thread?

Clearly the disappearing polar ice is just a coincidence, and not nearly as important as anecdotal evidence of cold temperatures somewhere at some time.

Just build a wall around your whole country and put a roof on top, but make sure it's air-tight. Then you can pollute all you want.
Old 9th November 2015, 19:14   #13
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Climates are always changing. Deal with it.

The most surprising thing about these news items is the arrogance people seem to have that we would be having the power to change the climate like flicking a switch.

Personally, I think that - at best - we can change 5% of the way the climate changes by regulating industrial waste outputs etc.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 19:41   #14
gaekwad2
Foorum King

And you know that because the bible said so, I guess.

(a believer talking about arrogance is always cute)

Old 10th November 2015, 04:06   #15
djpete
Major Dude

funny to read all the deniers.
I just hope we don't find out the hard way because it will cost a lot more to fix later on, if some of it is fixable.
We have so many smarter ways to do things, solar, wind, smart buildings that actually produce energy etc etc.
Just a shame that so many people are scared of moving forward.

We should be proud of all these cleaner ways forward and embrace it instead of calling it all a conspiracy so we can just do the same old thing with our heads in the sand.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 17:16   #16
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post
I just hope we don't find out the hard way
We may already do.

(And no, you won't find direct proof that this drought was affected by climate change, just as you won't be able to link a particular cancer case to cigarette smoke. After all Helmut Schmidt was a chain smoker and lived to be 96 so all those others must have died from different causes, enough of that arrogance to think that something you inhale might eventually kill you.)

Old 13th November 2015, 12:06   #17
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Every planet in our solar system is experiencing this. It's a cycle.
[sarcasm]Like I'm supposed to care what happens to my family 100 years from now, pfft.[/sarcasm]
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 12:57   #18
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Are we going to get all the collected denialist bullshit, no matter how often it has been debunked?

And remind me not to care if anything happens to you, will you?

Old 13th November 2015, 14:24   #19
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

My post was in jest.
Of course, we are killing big blue.
I'm more likely to habitate Mars than do anything about it. If only we could do as Thomas Jefferson said.
"the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it’s natural manure."
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 20:57   #20
webthing
Forum King

There is a high probability for record-setting warmth up and down the entire Eastern Seaboard from Florida to Maine on Christmas Eve 2015

Christmas Eve will feel more like an early autumn day with highs ranging from the 50s in Maine to the 70s in the mid-Atlantic and the lower 80s in parts of the Southeast. That equates to highs that are 15 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit above normal.

Widespread record highs will not only be challenged but shattered in many towns and cities. The potential exists for records to be topped by more than 5 degrees from Atlanta to Washington, D.C., to Philadelphia to New York City and to Burlington, Vermont.
Philadelphia's all-time December record high of 73 F, set on two days in 1998, will be in jeopardy.

"It appears high temperatures will be close to 70 F on Christmas Eve in New York City, which is about 30 degrees above normal for the date," AccuWeather Meteorologist Bill Deger said. "It was also unusually warm last Christmas Eve in 2014, when Central Park reached 58 F for a high."

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...th-ny/54313801
Old 20th December 2015, 21:57   #21
djpete
Major Dude

and we just had the hottest night on record 2 nights ago at 28 degrees

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 23:01   #22
webthing
Forum King

Research article Mar. 22 2016

Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms: evidence from paleoclimate data, climate modeling, and modern observations that 2 °C global warming could be dangerous

After record downloads for the study and an intense public review process, a revised version of the paper has now been accepted, according to both Hansen and Barbara Ferreira, media and communications manager for the European Geophysical Union, which publishes Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. Indeed, the article is now freely readable on the Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics website.

http://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/16/37...iscussion.html

Superstorm Sandy second-costliest hurricane in United States history.

The paper, according to Ferreira, was subject to “major revisions in terms of organisation, title and conclusions.” Those came in response to criticisms that can all be read publicly at the journal’s website. The paper also now has two additional authors.

Most notably, perhaps, the editorial process led to the removal of the use of the phrase “highly dangerous,” in the paper’s title, to describe warming the planet by 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.

[What we’re doing to the Earth has no parallel in 66 million years, scientists say]

The original paper’s title was “Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms: evidence from paleoclimate data, climate modeling, and modern observations that 2 °C global warming is highly dangerous.” The final title is “Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms: evidence from paleoclimate data, climate modeling, and modern observations that 2 °C global warming could be dangerous.”

http://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/16/37...iscussion.html
Old 14th September 2016, 22:17   #23
gaekwad2
Foorum King

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blo...in-chart-form/

Old 3rd October 2016, 08:09   #24
FilarySt

don't worry soon we all will be on Mars
FilarySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:07   #25
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Or at least it'll look like it.

I wonder if it's mainly people from the south-western US who have that affinity to Mars anyway. They'd just need some freeways and a bunch of McMansions to feel right at home.

Old 6th October 2016, 23:53   #26
webthing
Forum King

No country on Earth is taking the 2 degree climate target seriously.

http://www.vox.com/2016/10/4/1311859...e-fossil-fuels
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:10   #27
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

In many Science Fiction Movies we had this topic, the moving from the Planet Earth to the Planet Mars. This planet looks like a red desert, but is it really without life? What's about unknown lifeforms, which didn't have been discovered yet? And I think, we cannot simply make the terraforming and expell the other unknown lifeforms.

This year a big explorer ship had visited the Arctica, and new Undersea Lifeforms had been discovered under the Polar Ice. Now I have my Fantasy running in my head about the Arctic Undersea World, and it reminds me to an attachement in Post #291 of Nitorami's thread "My complete collection":
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=295412&page=8
and although I had named it "metal_ice_fountains.jpg", I am thinking now, I could have named it also "artic_undersea_world.jpg".

We should finally have full respect for our Planet Earth, for all the lifeforms there, on the terrains, in the air and also in the oceans...

Old 19th January 2017, 00:55   #28
webthing
Forum King

U.S. scientists officially declare 2016 the hottest year on record. That makes three in a row.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.27b18bddcd0f
Old 22nd January 2017, 14:46   #29
gaekwad2
Foorum King

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/1...-change-denial

Old 28th January 2017, 23:23   #30
LoveAngelmr

Interesting Global Warming

LOL this is interesting.

IM doing a paper on global warming also a presentation. I thinking of doing a anti-global warming paper and pres. after watching this. It should be controversal.
LoveAngelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 08:35   #31
liza

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAngelmr View Post
LOL this is interesting.

IM doing a paper on global warming also a presentation. I thinking of doing a anti-global warming paper and pres. after watching this. It should be controversal.
That sounds interesting. My question would be what exactly do you mean by anti-global warming pres?. I haven't stumbled up on this just yet. It would be great if you could share what exactly you meant by it.
liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 10:17   #32
Carlos08

Flood free areas are getting flood prone areas

In relevant to this, I just want to share how you can actually see the effects of global warming during a heavy rainy season.

We live in a sub-urban area slightly in a high place and actually a flood free area back then.
But now, every time it rain so hard, water is starting to submerge our houses.
Carlos08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 12:38   #33
Matty8

I read a lot of global warming now due to new Trump's politics. Donald Trump has a lot of things to say about global warming. He's called it an urgent problem, and he's called it a hoax. He's claimed it's a scam invented by the Chinese, and he's denied that he ever said that.
But as for me, I think we must do something without government permission. I've read that the production of solar energy in cities is clearly a way to diminish our dependency to fossil fuels, and is a good way to mitigate global warming by lowering the emission of greenhouse gases.
Because solar panels convert light from the sun into heat and electricity, they require no other source of fuel. As for me, I'm going to put the solar panels on my roof, I've read here http://www.summitheatingco.com/air-conditioning-parker/ that it will easy. The changing the parker heating and air system from gas to solar energy. The generation of solar energy and storage is much cheaper when compared to other sources of energy. We can utilize the solar energy for various applications including water heating, heating of the home, running cars, thermal heating for businesses, coffee roasters, cooking, and water treatment plants. We can also use the solar energy for all of the electrical appliances and for lighting in our home.
Matty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 14:11   #34
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Our weather is out of balance because of the global warming.

In Berlin and Brandenburg the March was too warm, the fruit trees had begun to flower much earlier. Then the night frosts had returned in April. Many wine ravines had been damaged because of the frosts, but also many fruit tree blossoms. This year we will have no sweet cherries, no plums and no apricots from Werder behind Postdam, and we will have 70% or more percent of crop losses for the apples.

For this year the fruit has to be imported from other countries, and this means, the seasonal fruits in the supermarkets will become very expensive for the buyers.

Old 10th May 2017, 21:48   #35
webthing
Forum King

Earth could hit 1.5 degrees of global warming in just nine years

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a7726846.html

No country on Earth is taking the 2 degree climate target seriously
https://www.vox.com/2016/10/4/131185...e-fossil-fuels

How the World Passed a Carbon Threshold and Why It Matters
http://e360.yale.edu/features/how-th...why-it-matters

Pass auf
Old 14th June 2017, 08:12   #36
simplydt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty8 View Post
I read a lot of global warming now due to new Trump's politics. Donald Trump has a lot of things to say about global warming. He's called it an urgent problem, and he's called it a hoax. He's claimed it's a scam invented by the Chinese, and he's denied that he ever said that.
But as for me, I think we must do something without government permission. I've read that the production of solar energy in cities is clearly a way to diminish our dependency to fossil fuels, and is a good way to mitigate global warming by lowering the emission of greenhouse gases.
Because solar panels convert light from the sun into heat and electricity, they require no other source of fuel. As for me, I'm going to put the solar panels on my roof, I've read here http://www.summitheatingco.com/air-conditioning-parker/ that it will easy. The changing the parker heating and air system from gas to solar energy. The generation of solar energy and storage is much cheaper when compared to other sources of energy. We can utilize the solar energy for various applications including water heating, heating of the home, running cars, thermal heating for businesses, coffee roasters, cooking, and water treatment plants. We can also use the solar energy for all of the electrical appliances and for lighting in our home.
Good ideas and I guess the only thing we can do (unless we become politicians), is to inform our consumer choices in products that are environmentally conscious. I'd love to travel by train for one, but for many things there is no choice but to go by plane. As far as i know, plane travel is a huge problem, isn't it? :-/
simplydt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions