Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center

Old 26th August 2004, 08:08   #41
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainNuss
Now that I can't play Manhattan Project anymore, I installed Deus Ex and started playing that again. I had started once already and had played for about 8 hours, but then I lost my savegames.
Interesting, what's it like ? I considered buying it for cheap (PS2) but I'm not sure I'd like it. What genre is it exactly ?

My game OTM : R-Type Final, PS2, Shoot'em up

Nothing stunning technically but quite enjoyable to play
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 08:13   #42
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

Deus Ex is really interesting and rather fun. But the PC version is a bit better.

ALSO ...

I have gone from Doom III and Painkiller
to
Counter Strike: Source, PC, First Person Shooter. All I can say is O ... M ... G!

And

Tron 2.0, PC, First Person Shooter. I picked this one up again because I got tired of the dark Doom and I wanted more colors.

-Duane

Website

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :-\
DuaneJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 08:59   #43
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

I played the xbox version of desu x. seemed like there was no antialiasing so it was really ugly on my friends giant hd tv. I'd go with a PC version if at all possible unless your tv is small and tube like.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 09:38   #44
Lapikas
Major Dude

Just completed Halflife and thought about installing Baldur's gate again. I never get tired of it..

The requested SIG could not be retrieved
Lapikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 10:48   #45
CaptainNuss
Indecisive One
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightseer
Interesting, what's it like ? I considered buying it for cheap (PS2) but I'm not sure I'd like it. What genre is it exactly ?
It's not really a single genre. Basically, you can choose whether you'd like to play it as a 3D shooter (not as much action as you'd be accustomed to if you've played other shooters) or as stealth game (much like Thief or Splinter Cell). It has certain RPG elements too. For instance, there's a LOT of text you can read, (don't have to) like newspapers that are lying all over the places and you can interact with every character in the world, sometimes resulting in dialogs with multiple-choice answers. Another RPG element is that your character (JC Denton) is a nano-augmented agent and, as such, has about 11 or so different skills. While playing the game you earn skill points you can use to improve your skill levels, allowing you to hack computers faster (yep, you can hack computers ), be more proficient with a handgun etc.

I personally really like Deus Ex. It uses the UT 1 engine IIRC, so the graphics aren't top notch anymore, and the controls feel kinda different (hard to describe), but the story is pretty cool and the game has a really nice atmosphere. I really recommend playing it, especially when you can get it as cheap as you say.

[size=1]"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Richard Cook
CaptainNuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2004, 04:42   #46
PAK-9
Major Dude

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Quote:
It's not really a single genre. Basically, you can choose whether you'd like to play it as a 3D shooter (not as much action as you'd be accustomed to if you've played other shooters) or as stealth game (much like Thief or Splinter Cell).
I really resent it when people say you can play Deus Ex as a 3D shooter like Quake 3 or something (I'm not having a dig at CaptainNuss specifically)... you can't play it as a runny jumpy bang-bang-kill-everything shoot em up because you just get pwnt. The game really isnt designed for it, when i first got the game I tried it with my mad Quake3 skillz and i lasted about 5 seconds.

Games that say you can play them stealthily or all out attack almost always have to be played stealthily. The only exception i can think of is FarCry, where guns blazing actually is a viable tactic if your good at that kind of gameplay, but sneaky sneaky works too.

http://PAK-9.deviantart.com

...innit
PAK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2004, 12:18   #47
CaptainNuss
Indecisive One
(Senior Member)

As I said in my post, it doesn't have as much action as the Q3 type of shooter, but there is a difference between sneaking past a guard, sneaking up to a guard and using a prod to disable the guard or just running up to him and shooting him with a sawed-off shotgun.

I just reached the final part of the game, btw!

[size=1]"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Richard Cook
Old 4th September 2004, 20:49   #48
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

i play animal crossing alot, and tony hawk pro skater/underground all the time. (i have 4 for ps2 and xbox and 3 for 64 and xbox=very sad) other than that i jump around between all sorts of games (new and old) for about 30 sec. to 30 min. each than my attention is exahusted and i go annoy my family for the rest of the day. (they dont like me too much i think [not because i annoy them they are annoyed by me because they dont like me])

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2004, 13:17   #49
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Trying and failing misserably to play Pikmin on the cube, friggin controls are making my head hurt......
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2004, 17:42   #50
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Beat Maximo, Ghosts to Glory

Now Playing on PS2:

Prince of Pursia, Sands of Time

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2004, 18:51   #51
CaptainNuss
Indecisive One
(Senior Member)

I beat Deus Ex! Has taken me about 26 hours and almost 1100 savegames. ("Save early, save often.") I just saw the third of three endings. Great game! The sad part is, I have no idea what to tackle next...

Old 6th September 2004, 19:28   #52
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Quote:
I beat Deus Ex! Has taken me about 26 hours and almost 1100 savegames. ("Save early, save often.") I just saw the third of three endings. Great game! The sad part is, I have no idea what to tackle next...

If your just a PC gamer then I would suggest:

Thief: Deadly Shadows
Medal Of Honor Series (fun both offline & online)
Command & Conquer Generals
Halo

also check out the recently released MOH: PA DEMO

http://www.eagames.com/official/moh/...?src=downloads
Old 6th September 2004, 20:53   #53
CaptainNuss
Indecisive One
(Senior Member)

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really have money for any new games at the moment though, just bought the parts for a new computer, so it'll come down to play something I already have, but haven't beat yet. Just installed Colin McRae Rally 2, haven't finished the championship there. Also, I'll start playing UT 2004 again when I have assembled the new computer.

Old 8th September 2004, 09:53   #54
Lapikas
Major Dude

All time favorite: Freecell!

Old 11th September 2004, 12:22   #55
OutlawJim
Confused
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to OutlawJim Send a message via AIM to OutlawJim Send a message via Yahoo to OutlawJim
controversial here:

Tomb Raider: The Angel Of Darkness (ooooooo)

yes, it is nowhere near as good as it should be, but still. im playing the pc version, so its a little easier to control than the damn ps2 version. its actually not that bad. i have like, every single other tomb raider game on the pc, so i kinda was like, i'll buy it, and because i was expecting it to be dire, i was pleasantly surprised.

another game: Shadow Of Memories. theres a cool game

Nobby:I have ADD.... Germ:No shit, Nobby? Nobody would have ever guessed.
OutlawJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2004, 22:41   #56
CaptainNuss
Indecisive One
(Senior Member)

Dug out my copy of SWAT 3, playing it for the first time now. Pretty cool game.

Old 14th September 2004, 08:05   #57
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Since I've beat R-Type FINAL, (yay me ), I've started a new game and it's Silent Hill 2. Survival horror at its best, or I should say at his worst. Quite franly, I haven't been so scared by a game since the first Resident Evil.

Old 14th September 2004, 10:58   #58
Niffle

Still have an unopened copy of Silent Hill 3 next to my PS2 from last year. Not sure whether its because my PS2 gaming has become close to obsolete or beacuse i'm just to damn sh** scared to play it! I'm deeply scarred from the first one I played back on ye olde PS1

Praps i'll keep hold of it for when those cold dark winter nights draw in!
Niffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2004, 08:48   #59
PAK-9
Major Dude

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Trying to play emulated final fantasty tactics (PSX) but cant get used to controlling a strategy game with a game pad.

http://PAK-9.deviantart.com

...innit
PAK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2004, 10:28   #60
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Niffle

Praps i'll keep hold of it for when those cold dark winter nights draw in!
That is a good idea, that's when these games are played best, I'm hanging on to finish up Resident Evil Zero on the cube, there is just something about playing a Horror game in the summer with the windows open and the warm sun streaming in that just dosn't seem right....
Old 16th September 2004, 08:23   #61
Lapikas
Major Dude

Just kicked Sarevoks big fat ass in Baldur's gate
Now what?

Old 16th September 2004, 10:59   #62
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
That is a good idea, that's when these games are played best, I'm hanging on to finish up Resident Evil Zero on the cube, there is just something about playing a Horror game in the summer with the windows open and the warm sun streaming in that just dosn't seem right....
This is why I only play in the evening, when all is dark
Old 16th September 2004, 16:56   #63
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Beat:
Prince of Pursia, Sands of Time

Now Playing:

Ratchet & Clank, Going Commando
NHL 2K4

Old 16th September 2004, 19:03   #64
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

There are so few decent games coming out at the momment I've gone retro...

So, currently playing Dragontorc of Avalon on my GBA, via the ZXAdvance emulator.

yes, it's a 19 year old ZX Spectrum game.

Man the market is slack at the minute.....
Old 21st September 2004, 08:02   #65
Lapikas
Major Dude

Diablo 2 including the expansion set (can't remember the name of it)

Old 27th September 2004, 16:25   #66
CaptainNuss
Indecisive One
(Senior Member)

Now that I have a new computer and everything's up and running again I can actually play UT 2004 with highest graphics settings. Amazin! I'm getting addicted to playing UT online again... Oh, and I plan on playing Splinter Cell sometime again.

Old 27th September 2004, 16:47   #67
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightseer
This is why I only play in the evening, when all is dark
i play half life a lot right now. i jump sometimes when a soldier suddenly appears. i play during the day so i don't get freaked out. i've played at night before but i kept going paranoid that there was a headcrab on the floor or something.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2004, 04:45   #68
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Beat:
Ratchet & Clank, Going Commando

Now Playing:

GTA: VC

only $10.00 figured I would give it a try. Beat GTA III on my PC, but the system req's for VC are to great for my old Comp, so I'll play the PS2 vers.

Correction:
also playing NHL2k5 not 2K4

Old 28th September 2004, 19:57   #69
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

oh right I bought two new used games
RalliSport Challenge 2 for 25 dollars
Time Splitters 2 for 18 dollars

with the gamestop card thinggy my friend had I saved 10% which covered the 8.8% tax.

Time Splitters has a horrible story but who cares? I get to run around and shoot zombies and aliens and monkies. RalliSport Challenge 2 is awesome. I may be going Live if I find a better way to get my XBoX on the net.

I'm Back?
Old 7th October 2004, 08:15   #70
koolaidparty

Finished: GTA III, GTA:VC in about a month all together.

Going to get: Mortal Kombat: Deception

Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Source
koolaidparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2004, 08:22   #71
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Viewtiful Joe on the Cube (again)
Old 7th October 2004, 15:47   #72
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

RalliSport Challenge duce
Time Splitters duce

Soon to be Halo Duce and Jade Empire Uno. Any obsecure games for the box that I should know about or upcomming obsecure games please fill free to post input.

I'm Back?
Old 7th October 2004, 20:40   #73
koolaidparty

MK: Deception looks like it's good. Online play, over 25 characters, 10 unlockables, Konquest, and unlocking Koin Chests. Looks like it's the better new MK game, not to mention all the Fatalaties. By the way, much better than Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance.
Old 7th October 2004, 21:48   #74
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

The last mortal combat sucked but this one is suppose to be good. I'm not to big a fan of the gore but it makes for a good rental

Are the 10 unlockable charchters part of the 25 or does it bring the total to 35? Usually it means there are 15 charchters and 10 you must unlock.

I'm Back?
Old 8th October 2004, 07:04   #75
koolaidparty

25 + 10 unlockables. So 35, maybe 40. But there is a definite 10 unlockable from the site I went to(the main MK: D site) and it said there were 10. There's a Kollectors Edition that comes with Mortal Kombat 1, Area 51 demo(mainly like Half Life 2, and Doom 3.) Trading card, and a gift certificate at the end of the month for some "Surprise".

I think it's good, my friend mentioned that these games get boring fast(fighting games). But I do think it's good for a rental only, mostly because if you're a die hard fan, you'll buy it. If not, rent it, play it for a week. If you still like it, rent it for another week.
Old 8th October 2004, 10:55   #76
Lapikas
Major Dude

Game of the moment: Need for speed: Hot pursuit.

Get's boring pretty quickly though. Never really liked racing games. Maybe I'll just start playing flash games online when my adsl connection arrives.

Old 8th October 2004, 18:15   #77
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Mafia = GTA but with a decent physics engine, crap car colour system. Amazing damage system.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award
Vie's Scratching Post
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2004, 18:34   #78
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Fighting games die fast because not enough people fight eachother. Fighting the AI is shitty compared to fighting real live opponents.

I'm Back?
Old 9th October 2004, 05:17   #79
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Then Whiteflip you may welcome Dead or Alive Ultimate.

Looks nice and has online vs.
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault...ul_e3_2k4.html

Old 9th October 2004, 06:36   #80
koolaidparty

Quote:
Originally posted by EfaustuS9
Then Whiteflip you may welcome Dead or Alive Ultimate.

Looks nice and has online vs.
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault...ul_e3_2k4.html
Mmm. I wouldn't mind playing that game -- just for the chick fighting.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center