Old 25th December 2005, 19:48   #1
bpmwriter

tracks don't play in correct order

hi all,

certain folders i open do not play the files inside in the correct order. i use tag and rename to assign track numbers and my file names contain the track number too. any idea why winamp doesn't play them in the correct order? musicmatch jukebox does. and they play in the right order on my ipod too. any suggestions??

eddie
bpmwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 20:15   #2
mikm
Major Dude

Is shuffle enabled? Press 'S' to disable it (or find the shuffle button on your skin or rightclick-->options-->uncheck suffle.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 20:24   #3
bpmwriter

mik,

shuffle is disabled. just to be clear, it always plays the tracks in the same order, but the order is incorrect.

eddie
Old 25th December 2005, 20:44   #4
mikm
Major Dude

Try enabling sort-on-load for the playlist (Prefrences-->Playlist)

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 25th December 2005, 21:36   #5
bpmwriter

mik,

i don't show a 'sort-on-load' option in my playlist preferences?

i tried the 'sort by title', which works for the folder in question, but now it plays other folders out of order (those with filenames that do not include a track number), like i when i burn direct from cd.

do i just have to toggle??

e.

Last edited by bpmwriter; 25th December 2005 at 22:14.
Old 25th December 2005, 22:27   #6
mikm
Major Dude

I don't think I understand completly what you mean by "not playing in order". Why not just manually re-arrange the playlist?

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 25th December 2005, 22:39   #7
bpmwriter

not a playlist

mik,

i'm playing a folder that contains one CD's worth of songs, not a playlist -> ie. my music/cypress hill/temple of boom. the songs ought to play in the same order as they play on the CD, yes? i shouldn't have to re-arrange the order to play correctly everytime i play the folder.

eddie
Old 30th December 2005, 21:37   #8
Jaime H2O

I think I have the same problem, but I guess I kind of understand how it works

bpmwriter,

I think I have the same problem. I have WinAmp 5.092 and WinXP sp2 but I've had following problem since ages. Using Windows Explorer, I select an alphabetically ordered list of mp3's and then right-click and chose play or enqueue. Strangely, Winamp lists the files in what appears to be a random order (i.e., a non-alphabetical order).

What I've found out is that the file Winamp puts on top of the list is the file the mouse had pointing out (despite of the fact that a whole list of files was selected). So let's say I have these 5 files:

01_what.mp3
02_is.mp3
03_going.mp3
04_on.mp3
05_man.mp3

I select all of them (so the file names have a grey background), right-click and chose play. If file 03_going.mp3 has the punctuated line around it, then Winamp will list this file first and the other files in a looped alphabetical order:

03_going.mp3
04_on.mp3
05_man.mp3
01_what.mp3
02_is.mp3

I think this may be some kind of bug. I've searched the forums but I haven't found an answer (yet).

Does somebody kwow how to fix this?
Jaime H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 21:41   #9
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
thats a windows thing and not a winamp thing. same behavior for windows media player as well.

Perhaps you would like to use an "explorer-like" plugin rather then windows explorer. I know the built in media player doesn't have a tree structure, but there are plugins that that do. treeviews (get latest versions from authors websites, not those direct links)
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 22:22   #10
bpmwriter

hey guys,

seems to me that winamp plays tracks in the order they were downloaded, so if you download different tracks from the same album at different times, it will play out of order. i thought that tagging the files with tag and rename would fix this, but the tags only seem to work on my ipod, not on winamp. sort of a drag, but what are you gonna do??

e.
Old 30th December 2005, 23:43   #11
DrO

Winamp/other media players are handed the files from the OS as you rightly found, part based on file creation date. depending on how you formatted the hard drive (fat32 vs ntfs) will also play a factor in the way that the files are passed to Winamp.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2006, 08:53   #12
Jaime H2O

Ok, thanks!

billyvnilly, since I don't use MS Media Player, I hadn't noticed it has the same problem.

I guess I'll have to write to the MS people - if only I find a Windows Wishlist.
Jaime H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 16:30   #13
Tormato

Files playing in right order

I had the same problem too. What you need to do is go into Options>Preferences> and under Advanced Playback Settings make sure "When Loading Multiple Files, sort files by name" is checked. Also make sure shuffle is turned off.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 17:51   #14
soft-scan

Hmm Tormato

I am puzzled - I have no advanced dialogue in Options - perhaps you could help me out as I also have this problem with Winamp:-)
soft-scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 23:24   #15
t_mc_u

Winamp has always been my favorite music player. But this has always been a pet peeve of mine - the fact that I cannot enqueue files from Windows Explorer to the Winamp Playlist either by drag and drop or by selecting a group of files in a directory, right clicking and select "Enqueue in Winamp" and have them appear in order either alphabetically, numerically, or by track number.

I just tested this and the results appear to be almost completely random.

I left 5 files selected in Windows Explorer and selected "Enqueue in Winamp".

The files are MP3's with with complete tags (Ape V2 & ID V3.2.3 (ANSI), with Artist, Album, Title and Track reading correctly.

For the sake of brevity I'll list only the first letter of each filename, and the track number.

As they appear on Disk:
Filename Track Number
A 12
M 11
N 9
O 2
P 7

Below shows the order in the Winamp Playlist as a result of right clicking the files in Windows Explorer and selecting "Enqueue in Winamp". The results for each test is listed left to right instead of top to bottom (5 tests).
OPANM
MNOPA
NOPAM
MNOPA
AMNOP

Note that the only time the Winamp Playlist was sorted alphabetically is the last one. This is the default ASCII sort method used by every OS I've ever used (regardless of filesystem).

So since Winamp doesn't use the ASCII sort method or the track number value in the tag to determine playlist order what does it use? And why doesn't it use the same method twice? I know there's a function - and it can't be rand().

-- Same test, with filenames numbered 1 through 5.
Interesting. 6 tests were all queued in the playlist in the following order:

Until I enqueued the same files again before deleting the first 5 from the playlist. The results were as follows:

Any ideas?
==============
Winamp V5.5 x86 Oct 10 2007
Configuration:
Options\Preferences\Playlist - "When loading multiple files, sort by filename" is checked.
Plugin list attached.

Filesystem: FAT32
Processor: 2.21 GHz AMD Anthalon 64 3500+
RAM: 2 GB
Soundcard: Trends UD-10.1 (USB Sound Device)
Video: NVidea GeForce 6600 GT
t_mc_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 03:58   #16
quartermane

Like t_mc_u, Winamp has always been my favorite player, but after every update I check to see if this problem has been resolved.

My workaround has been to add the %tracknumber%. tag to the advanced title formatting, which displays the track number before the track title. (This only has to be done once.)

Next, I load my music by dragging and dropping the folder the album is in, go down to the bottom menu on the playlist editor and select "Misc" -> "Sort" -> "Sort by list title" (This needs to be done every time you load a new album.)

The problem with this is that if you want to listen to multiple albums (whether they are within one folder or multiple folders), Winamp will arrange them by track number. So, if you enqueue three albums, you will have three "Track 1" in a row.

Anyway, it's a minor annoyance, but something I've learned to live with. I don't know why it happens, I just wish it wouldn't. :P
quartermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 02:11   #17
bignapdog

Found it

Hey guys,
Not sure if people are still looking for a solution to this, but I found out what it was. It's definitely the options - shuffle tab. I had the same issue, and after I unchecked shuffle, I can choose play all, and it plays in order. So which ever player you use, check options.
bignapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 01:03   #18
sdripps

FWIW, I had a similar problem regarding certain albums having tracks out of order, and it drove me nuts. I finally realized the problem--the "DISCNUMBER" of "Disc" field. Certain albums had tracks that had different (or missing) values in this field, and it was throwing the order off. As it is a quantitative field, apparently Winamp considers it when deriving album track order. Blanks were first of course, followed by numbers.

What a relief when I finally noticed this. If the other suggestions aren't working, take a look at this field.
sdripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 05:32   #19
oglasifwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignapdog View Post
Hey guys,
Not sure if people are still looking for a solution to this, but I found out what it was. It's definitely the options - shuffle tab. I had the same issue, and after I unchecked shuffle, I can choose play all, and it plays in order. So which ever player you use, check options.
No it is not a shuffle tab as it was already mentioned in the beggining on the thread in the first place. It is not connected with shuffle and it is not connected with "When loading multiple files sort files by name".

Winamp simply loads files based on DATE (not fileneme) as WMP too.

Another solution is to copy files to another folder one by one in order and try to play them again from that new folder and now it should play in order (as now DATE is reordered in the right way). But then again that is not a real fix because sometimes it is impossible to copy again hundreds and hundreds of folders manualy so it could be reordered by date.

Fix is needed by this one. By the name of the function "When loading multiple files sort files by name" that should fix it but it can't so maybe it is some kind of bug even in the function too.
oglasifwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 19:44   #20
Matheus-007

Quote:
Another solution is to copy files to another folder one by one in order and try to play them again from that new folder and now it should play in order (as now DATE is reordered in the right way). But then again that is not a real fix because sometimes it is impossible to copy again hundreds and hundreds of folders manualy so it could be reordered by date.
An easier version of this solution is to make another folder with the same name on the original location. It's like copying and pasting, it will keep the files the same way as they were before.
Matheus-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:59   #21
Alchemyst

When I select a group of files to play in winamp the final mp3 is played first

Hi all

I have a similar problem to ones listed here. When I open a folder of my music in Windows Explorer and select a group of files to enqueue in winamp the final mp3 is always listed first in my winamp player. As long as it is more than one file it doesn't matter how many or how few files I select

And yes I use a consistent numbering system, e.g.
01 - On The Water.mp3
02 - Before The Bridge.mp3

Of course I can manually select the file and move it down my playlist but that is annoying.
If anyone has encountered this problem and come up with a solution I'd be very grateful.

Cheers
Alchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 02:31   #22
Gavman

Seven years later

Seven years after the original post and this is still a great pain in the butt.

Given that once you open a folder you can sort by filename or folder & filename under Miscellaneous I would have hoped that after all this time there would be an option to allow the user to set this as a default. But no....
Gavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 16:42   #23
SwIeRsZcZ

Well.. it is quite annoying when I load multiple files in example folder with CD ripped and then need to manually sort the queue to have the correct order : 1.... .mp3 , 2.... mp3 etc.

Why You just do not add another option in ''Advanced Playback Settings'' to decide wheter to sort files by titile , tracknumber etc. by default ?

Now there is only checkbox: when loading multiple files, sort files by name... It is not resolving the problem when you have multiple files without tracknumber in their name but in IDtag....
SwIeRsZcZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 17:16   #24
blksith0

Hey WinAmp team, I don't know if you guys ever look over this forum, but you guys should fix this problem. "Sort List by Track Number" should be added to that playlist>Misc options.
blksith0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 05:55   #25
Maw_XP

Hi, i know this is a very old post. I used to have this problem when clicking Windows Explorer's "Play All". Tracks appeared on the playlist sorted by i don't know what. I fixed this by going to "Control Panel" -> "Default Programs" -> "Set program access and computer defaults", then choosing "Custom", and in "Choose a default media player", unchecking every "Enable access to this program" box but the Winamp one, and click the radio button right to Winamp. Hope this works for you all
Cheers from Argentina

Edit: This is what it should look like:
Maw_XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 14:57   #26
goodname

this was really bugging me for a half hour or so, i had a google, read this thread but couldn't get the tracks to sort in order of tags and filename. anyhow after trying one or two suggestions i discovered that if i clicked the " open files" button on winamp , then i navigated to the folder i wanted and selected the first track held shift and selected the last, when they loaded they were in order. this is the only album i have noticed this with, it was a mixed album so the tracks had to follow one another or the sounds were out of sync as one tune flowed into the next, hope this helps,
goodname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 13:01   #27
Joust

lets stop compensating for a deficiency and call it like it is. This is simply a software bug.
winamp simply cannot load the tracks by track number and to me that is a bug.
fix it winamp.
other players can do it, why cannot winamp?
This is how users want it to work. if its design intent to sort by "acquired date" then say so but who in their right mind would want to play music in that order?
Stop blaming windows on your deficiency.
/rant
Joust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 14:52   #28
Aminifu
Forum King

Not a software bug! Winamp is working as designed, as stated in post #11 above (and in other threads about this behavior).

There are various simple ways (before or after the transfer) to change the sort order of files passed to Winamp by the OS. If this is too much of a compensation for you, then use 1 of the other players you alluded to that handles things differently.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 21:16   #29
aris95

Adding column "File time" (customize columns)

Hello i believe i have found some solution (at least in my own case), adding column "File time" to media libray window, (move up that to the first column) and then sorting ascending order that column shows the original order how the files were created.

Editing columns clicking right mouse button: <customize columns...>
aris95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 21:02   #30
Miketotherescue

Okay, guys and girls, I just created an account just to tell you this. I know this is a very old topic, but it seems that people are still having this issue, so here are my two cents.

I have had the same problem as the OP, and after unsuccessfully trying a few of the suggestions above, I have found a solution (although it's possible that the same "symptoms", for lack of a better word, have different causes): under Preferences > Titles, I checked "Read metadata ln the background when file(s) are loaded into Winamp or are played or viewed in the playlist editor (default)" – despite this option being marked as "default", mine was set to read metadata only when files were loaded into Winamp; I guess I modified it when I installed Winamp. Since the files I was trying to read had a track number in their metadata, I thought it was weird that Winamp didn't take that into account. I still don't know why it was putting them in a random order, but by forcing Winamp to read it every time, it puts the files in the proper order according to track numbers.
Miketotherescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support