Old 21st January 2007, 23:20   #41
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
THE best show on TV right now
I don't like it, I feel it's a rip of 24.

As for me, Today I bought a Samsung 19" Widescreen Flat panel, Speakers, Wireless Keyboard\Mouse, a pizza, mountain dew, and found an old hub at Goodwill for $2.99. All for my new upstairs "office", (i hate being down in the studio all the time!). Except the hub, that'll go in our router room as we ran out of router spaces recently.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 00:43   #42
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by Vie
Try the Life Drive.
Reading the spec sheet, it fails at least five of my requirements. And I didn't initially review it because it's not even the basic type of product that I needed - a smartphone. Don't get me wrong, it may be a very nice product in general, but everyone has their own needs. It doesn't nearly meet mine.

You see, not everyone has the same requirements for a product, my young friend. This is why there is more than one of each type of product in the world.

And no, all of them except the one you like do not "suck".

For a year before I bought it, I talked to about a dozen professionals in my field who own one, and I talked to them extensively about their own requirements and how well this product met them, as well as asking questions about general information such as reliability. I filtered their testimonials and critiques with my needs for such a product, and made the most informed choice.

For a teenager, this device will likely not be favored. I'm sure it has features they wouldn't need, a price most wouldn't be willing to pay, and is probably missing other features a young person may want in a smartphone/PDA before embarking in a particular career. But for an IT professional in my field, it works quite well, and is quite well favored.

Second place is the Blackberry. It's much more prolific because it's widely utilized as company-provided equipment. A big reason for that is the HUGE price markdown a company gets on the things buying them in bulk. Guess how much I paid out of my budget for the last batch of 8703e models I purchased. The things retail for about $600. I paid under $150 each from a major corporate technology provider. No such deal for any similar product.

And I almost bought a Blackberry for myself, in fact - but when the executives I've talked to (with requirements similar to my own) had their choice, almost all chose the Treo. And they chose models that were from earlier generations than this one. I'm the only person I know that's bought the 700wx, so the only relevant risk is that this particular model will have a defect that the others didn't, but I'll take my chances. The features are easy to discern, and if reliability is anything like the previous models, I'll be very satisfied.

My recommendation for doing research before buying an item of technology used for both personal and business reasons is to talk to people who do what you do for a living. Their needs will often - at least on the professional side - be very similar to your own, and you'll trust their personal experience with the product more than listening to reviews from strangers - who rarely add what they do for a living, which leaves out an important point of reference. However, I do read such reviews as well. The more info the better - just know how to "grade" the info you come across. Combine this with the intel to filter the information to your own needs, and you'll be able to make a very well-informed choice. It's the best way to prevent regret after spending your money. This is a similar approach as you'd use before buying a car, or a computer, or a camera, etc. After having made technology purchases for 20 years in my adult life - including bulk purchases for corporations - I've certainly never had a regret anytime I've done this level of research beforehand.

(Sorry for rambling, I just enjoy educating people and sharing ideas on how to make informed technology purchases. )
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 03:03   #43
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

i finally remembered the last thing i bought.
[IMG]http://jackiemhawkins.***********/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/ax5000.jpg.w180h225.jpg[/IMG]
this phone is pretty damn good. a lot of people have this phone around here and i never hear complaints.
psycho_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 03:14   #44
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
http://scorlibran.org/chris/pictures/Treo700wx-withbox.jpg
http://scorlibran.org/chris/pictures/Treo700wx.jpg
I'm in love.
My cousin has one and he hates it because he feels like he can never get away from work.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 04:15   #45
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

That's a distinct risk. I'm starting to have that problem, myself, finding that I can use this thing to do almost every aspect of my work.

(Foruming with it right now, as a matter of fact. Web pages load very fast.)

Quote:
Originally posted by psycho_maniac
this phone is pretty damn good. a lot of people have this phone around here and i never hear complaints.
That looks like a Sanyo vi2300 - is that what it is? That's the model of phone I had before this Treo. It was a really great phone. Never had a problem with it, very good interface, and one of the best speakerphones I've ever heard on a cellular device.

I gave it to my mom, who was having problems with her Samsung phone. She took it by a Sprint store and they switched out the SIM chip with hers.

Last edited by ScorLibran; 22nd January 2007 at 04:45.
Old 22nd January 2007, 04:46   #46
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
because it's not even the basic type of product that I needed - a smartphone.
Buy a dog.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 04:50   #47
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Hehehe
Old 22nd January 2007, 05:22   #48
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

Quote:
That looks like a Sanyo vi2300 - is that what it is? That's the model of phone I had before this Treo. It was a really great phone. Never had a problem with it, very good interface, and one of the best speakerphones I've ever heard on a cellular device.

I gave it to my mom, who was having problems with her Samsung phone. She took it by a Sprint store and they switched out the SIM chip with hers.
Lg AX5000 what samsung phone did your mom have?
Old 22nd January 2007, 05:30   #49
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

An SPH-A560.

My dad's got the same model, but he hasn't had a problem with his. Her's was disconnecting every call immediately after answering, and immediately after connecting when placing a call. Got to be a real pain in the ass, so she was happy to take my Sanyo.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
Old 22nd January 2007, 11:03   #50
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
(Sorry for rambling, I just enjoy educating people and sharing ideas on how to make informed technology purchases. )
You could work at appearing less patronising though.

Just build a wall around your whole country and put a roof on top, but make sure it's air-tight. Then you can pollute all you want.
Don't worry, God won't let you suffocate.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 13:28   #51
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I reluctanctly post details about my tech purchases anymore due to prolific second guessing
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 17:43   #52
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Quote:
No, you enjoy talking.

Anyway, I've owned a palm longer than you have, and have more experience with them. There Non Windows Mobile Smartphones are always rated higher than there only windows one.

I myself have a T5, rated to be the worst of the Tungsten's because it has some stability issues and no built in wifi. Precisely because of this I got it at 1/4 of the price it normally retailed for. I've fixed the stability issues with a patch from Palm for the ROM and some user hacks. The wifi is done via a card I can remove, so I get better battery life, and it has the fastest processor of any of the palms. I need that because I use the T5 a lot for entertainment (On top of browsing the net, chating on IRC, writing notes, writing essays and some games), watching full length movies or TV shows and so forth.

Since I neither need or want a phone I don't care that it lacks phone features, the wifi more than makes up for this in my experience.

Oh, and it makes a great TV remote to boot.

Oh and I got a server today, for free.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award
Vie's Scratching Post
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 17:57   #53
LeadFoot

Hmmm. Yeah, I saw the reviews on the T5 before I got mine. I'm glad I didn't listen, because it is the best pda I've ever had. eBooks look great, as do movies using TCPMP. Oh, and it does the usual pda stuff as well...no stability issues since the update.
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 18:24   #54
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

/edit: eh?!

whatever

/edit2: tcpmp is neat but I miss my winamp-like playlist so I'm using winampaq.
may be unfinished but it works for me.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 18:26   #55
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
TCPMP is GOD

With the AAC plugin I can even have the Beeb podcasts on it, saving me time in the morning watching the show.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award
Vie's Scratching Post
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:55   #56
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Quote:
I reluctanctly post details about my tech purchases anymore due to prolific second guessing
I understand, which is why I'll only say (at least this time around) the last 2 things of interest I bought were a new cell phone (Motorola with the usual bells and whistles sans picture taking) and yet another digital camera. This one has 10x optical zoom and 5.7 digital zoom. (Cashed in several years worth of saved coins, which made the camera *seem* like it was free.
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 21:56   #57
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

oh another thing i recently bought was a ticket to the brickyard 400. i think i sat in north west vista section. i cant remember
PICTURE
Old 22nd January 2007, 23:26   #58
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

An S-Video cable to make use of the S-Video out on my video card and the S-Video in on my TV.
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 00:35   #59
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I was thinking about doing the same but instead need to upgrade cards and use a DVI to my monitor
Old 23rd January 2007, 00:47   #60
tuckerm
Forum Emo

I was thinking about doing that with my new moniter upstairs here. I think i'll look into it...see if i can split the TV signal and run a DVI input into my moniter. Don't know if it's possible and or the price.
Old 23rd January 2007, 01:17   #61
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by tuckerm
I don't like it, I feel it's a rip of 24.
What do you mean a 24 rip-off?

You ever hear of a thing called Delta Force?

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 04:49   #62
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Amen to that.

Not unexpected, though, considering the prominent amount of youth present. Wasted on the young, it is. Ah, if we could only buy it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vie
Anyway, I've owned a palm longer than you have, and have more experience with them.
I'm sure your experience with handheld technologies would almost equal your experience with cars. You're how old, again?

(j/k - you know I love ya.)

Quote:
Originally posted by razzinno
...and yet another digital camera. This one has 10x optical zoom and 5.7 digital zoom. (Cashed in several years worth of saved coins, which made the camera *seem* like it was free.
Very nice. A digital camera with an optical zoom anything over 3x is getting into the good stuff. I'd like to upgrade from my 3x optical zoom camera, but alas...until it actually dies, I can't justify doing it.

Last bought: Some movies from Comcast On-Demand.

And soon to purchase: Another neck surgery.
Old 23rd January 2007, 08:50   #63
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

My apologies to all for being insolent and cruel. I've been in pain for over two months now, and that state completely saps my mood and sense of tolerance. I think it's been pretty clear that I haven't been myself during this time. I'm seeing my doctor again tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be going under the scalpel yet again. I'll be sure to get better drugs this time around. (Not sure how much stronger we can go than morphine and percoset, though. Maybe straight heroin?)
Old 23rd January 2007, 10:00   #64
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I hope ya' feel better, Scor. And yes, yes they can go stronger!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:13   #65
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
What do you mean a 24 rip-off?

You ever hear of a thing called Delta Force?
I watched it and with the old guy from 24 and him trying to be all "Jack Bauer". I most def. hate it
Old 23rd January 2007, 13:07   #66
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
And soon to purchase: Another neck surgery.
That sucks.....alot

Quote:
My apologies to all for being insolent and cruel. I've been in pain for over two months now, and that state completely saps my mood and sense of tolerance. I think it's been pretty clear that I haven't been myself during this time. I'm seeing my doctor again tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be going under the scalpel yet again. I'll be sure to get better drugs this time around. (Not sure how much stronger we can go than morphine and percoset, though. Maybe straight heroin?)
In before the House jokes.

I'd still love you even if you slipped me a date rape drug. Maybe even more
Old 24th January 2007, 03:39   #67
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
I watched it and with the old guy from 24 and him trying to be all "Jack Bauer". I most def. hate it
You didn't get my point, though...

I don't watch "24", so I don't know if the show is based on anything in real life, what kind of character this "Jack Bauer" is supposed to be, or whatever...

The only thing I do know is "The Unit" is based off the real life 1st SFOD-D of the US Army...Retired Command Sergeant Major Eric L. Haney wrote the book Inside Delta Force, which chronicals some of the field operations Eric Haney was involved in while a member of Delta Force from 1978 through 1986...Eric Haney used his book to base "The Unit" off of, and also produced the show...

...soooo, unless Delta Force itself is being ripped off, or Eric Haney is ripping himself off, I don't see how "The Unit" is a "24" rip-off...

BTW: Just because "the old guy" Dennis Haysbert plays in both shows doesn't mean anything...And the only reason I know you're referring to Dennis Haysbert is because I watched a little bit of an episode of "24" on my lunch break at work one day...

[edit]Damn Scor, that sounds t3h sux0rz...

Hope everything goes well, though [/edit]

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 12:17   #68
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Well That's what it looked like when i first watched it. I watched the first ep. to see if it'd be good and i hated it. The show moves too fast and it's too much like 24.
Old 24th January 2007, 14:58   #69
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Uh....right
Old 24th January 2007, 17:55   #70
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

*smacks Tucker*
Quote:
rofls
*smacks Tucker harder*

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 18:00   #71
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

*shakes Tucker to make sure he regains consciousness*

*smacks tucker again*
Old 24th January 2007, 18:12   #72
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^
I got This
and
Bobby Brown gel eyeliner in Ink!

Well, ya' gotta' look nice!
Old 24th January 2007, 18:47   #73
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I was going to buy a fleshlight but I fear that if I were to die in my sleep one night, my legacy would be that I was a weirdo who kept a prosthetic vagina in his drawers.
Old 24th January 2007, 19:34   #74
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Uh I keep reading that sentence. Didja' mean went?
Anyway, we already know you're a weirdo!
Old 24th January 2007, 19:55   #75
dlichterman
Forum King

I'm considering buying the record(yes, thats vinyl) of Bidibodi Bidibu from the supertroopers movie.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 21:03   #76
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
*shakes Tucker to make sure he regains consciousness*

*smacks tucker again*
This is why I don't review stuff much
Old 24th January 2007, 22:06   #77
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

Lunch at school; it's cheese steak week.
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 22:09   #78
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Contact lenses.
Old 24th January 2007, 22:22   #79
dlichterman
Forum King

I bought the record.

God I'm hemorrhaging money.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 23:14   #80
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

Quote:
Contact lenses.
what kind and how much did they cost? im due for a new set and wondering how much im gonna get charged. my last pair was i think 150 but i got a 25 dollar discount woohooo. i cant even remember what kind i got.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions