Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions

Old 26th September 2013, 23:00   #1
DrO

SHOUTcast DSP Plug-in 2.3.5 for Winamp (26th September 2014)

The updated version of the SHOUTcast DSP plug-in has now been released:

Download Here

Note: This updated version of the plug-in will only work on Winamp 5.6 and higher and requires Windows XP SP3 and higher to work (the plug-in has only been actively tested on Windows XP / Windows 7 / Windows 8.x).

Summary

This is a recommended update for anyone using the DSP plug-in as it resolves a number of stability issues with the prior 2.x and 1.9x versions and also adds support for SHOUTcast 2 along with a number of other improvements to the experience of using the plug-in with a number of bug fixes as well.

Changes

Changes from 2.3.4
  • Changed to use Winamp's networking library (jnetlib) instead of the older forked version being used (this will be helpful in the future)
  • Changed to prompt if Winamp is set to use 24-bit playback mode (which we do not support in this plug-in)
  • Fixed some setups not being able too connect to a 2.x DNAS in 2.x mode due to the recent 'automatic mode' support and slow DNAS handshaking
  • Fixed the next song title not being recognised by the DNAS (DNAS expects the XML with a specific case of the element names e.g. soon and not SOON)
  • Fixed the automatic reconnect time being reset to 1 second between sessions
  • Reduced the memory usage of connections to only allocate the memory needed (this typically only saves a few KB but it's still a saving!)
  • Miscellaneous code tidyups, documentation updates, branding changes and other small related changes

Changes from 2.3.3
  • The first Radionomy provided SHOUTcast Source DSP release after the sale of SHOUTcast (and Winamp) in January 2014
  • This is primarily a maintenance release to resolve issues and broadcaster requests with the 2.3.x Source DSP since the last build provided under AOL ownership
  • Added 'automatic mode' for selecting the SHOUTcast protocol to use which should ease setup issues (there is still the ability to explicitly set the protocol mode like before)
  • Changed minimum required version of Winamp to v5.6+ due to building changes (below) and to simplify version compatibility and testing
  • Changed building of the plug-in to better match with the Winamp style for dependent dlls (this saves ~132KB)
  • Changed title update handling in respect to issues related to CVE-2014-4166 (which we were not informed about before it was disclosed!)
  • Changed to allow the plug-in to load if lame_enc.dll cannot be found (related to the change below) - previously it would not load at all
  • Updated genres to the current supported list of genres (as detailed in http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=303241)
  • Removed lame_enc.dll from the installer - if not present in your Winamp install you will need to manually obtain a copy and place in the appropriate folder for your Winamp install
  • Miscellaneous code tidyups, optimisations, adjustments for futrue Winamp releases, branding resource changes and other related changes

Reporting Issues

If you do come across an issue with the plug-in, then please do post in this thread with as much information as possible about what you're doing at the time, the system you are using and anything else which will make it easier to understand what is or isn't going on with your install.

Important Notes

1) From v2.3.4 and newer, the Source DSP is configured to run in 'automatic mode' by default which will make it attempt to pick the correct SHOUTcast protocol mode to use. This can be explicitly overridden if it does not work as expected (and if it doesn't, please report such issues!) via the option on the Output Page -> Connection Tab.

2) There are still a few issues regarding the soundcard control features on Vista / Windows 7 due to changes made in these OSes in the way it handles sound and how it can be obtained. This is being investigated though there is no eta on when a resolution will be found other than it is intended for there to be some attempt at a fix in v2.4.0 (or some higher version - keep an eye out on the changelog details)

3) This version includes artwork support but requires a v2.2.x or newer version of the v2.x SHOUTcast DNAS in order to be able to use it.

Issues

Soundcard Mixer Control - On Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 there are issues with the use of the features with the selected device to act as the 'microphone' where it basically will not work in an expected manner which also affects the 'Push To Talk' (PTT) feature. This is being investigated though is not clear if there will be a solution for this.

Thanks

Big thanks goes to kind people who've helped out from trying new test builds to providing access to systems experiencing weird issues as well as those who reported issues with the DSP whilst trying to resolve the issues with connection stability and other things from the previous v2.x releases.

Discussion about the previous version of the server including changelogs can be found in the following threads
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 12:31   #2
DrO

*new version bump*
Old 1st August 2014, 13:43   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
interesting changes here... I guess since there will no longer be a pro ver, it makes sense to go exclusively with winamps mp3 enc, its certainly more straight forward / easy to understand. I know we had talked about this before, trying to get the install to figure out which enc was newer, etc; but this is the better way, since most people prob didn't even realize the winamp one wasn't used, or that one was bundled w/the dsp.

one suggestion I would make would be for the install routine for the dsp to notify the user if either the winamp install, or the mp3 enc, is other than the latest released ver. it would be a good way to nudge stream admins and b/c of the fixes always going in, it would reduce the number of false bug reports based on old vers as opposed to real current bugs.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 13:50   #4
DrO

Winamp won't be able to ship lame_enc.dll either so the removal from this is just the start of aligning things based on licensing requirements. so the end result is you [the user] will have to install / update lame_enc.dll as needed (based on it either not being present to start with or from not being the version wanted).

and as the previous Winamp and Source DSP releases had been including the same version for a while, it wasn't much of an issue since we clearly state we only support the current version and if trying to mix and match things, if issues happen then that cannot be helped.

trying to maintain version checks between 3 different things is messy and will not be done. the current behaviour of the plug-in (as of this build) will just ensure it's running on a Winamp version it is designed to run under, and will rely on the lame_enc.dll found and if one is not, it will give a simple message to download it (and that can be the version of your choice as we cannot host the dll and it's not like it's hard to find the recommended and stable lame_enc.dll to use).
Old 1st August 2014, 14:03   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

ah, I see. will we be able to just use the lame_enc.dll from 5.666 for a good while? meaning, keep that around for upgrades or new installs? will it work, or still be pro restricted?

maybe I don't understand how ver checks work, but couldn't the DSP install routine just check the local copies vers' vs a txt file on a server somewhere saying what the newest vers are?

it would be a nice feature, so that the user could see if their winamp, dsp, or lame_enc was out of date. or, if that's too much hassle, how about a link in the routine to those items and some text saying something like "use the link to make sure you are running the latest ver" or something like that?

(I understand that for lame_enc this might not be at all possible)

I'm just thinking along the lines of the already existing winamp check for updates tho, and reducing false bug claims.

just seeing your edits now

--
Old 1st August 2014, 14:23   #6
DrO

if lame_enc.dll is already present (from whatever source be it manually done or from a prior Source DSP or Winamp install), then there is nothing else to do and what is present will be used. for the Winamp upgrade aspect, it will not remove it as there is no way to know for certain if it was manually installed or from a prior Winamp install.

you're really over thinking things and doing things on the server side for a small plug-in is just overkill and it's not like LAME gets updated much anyway nowadays.

all that is going to happen is if users want to do MP3 encoding, they will need to install lame_enc.dll themselves and if it's already present in the existing Winamp install then there's nothing else to do.

and if people have issues or intentionally want to use an old version, there is little that can be done about and if there are bugs, the response is always going to be to ensure they are using the current Winamp and Source DSP releases and if they don't want to use them (as a number have rudely stated at times via help support) then there is nothing that can be done about and it that's that. our responsibility is to provide working (subject to known issues) versions of the software where it's reasonable possible to do so and if users don't want to update / use them then we cannot force them to update things (however tempting it would be to have enforced updates and all that to keep the user base on the same versions of things).
Old 1st August 2014, 20:49   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

right on, I agree with everything you're saying, I was just thinking more along the lines of educating the ignorant, but np with what you have said.

I'd be tempted to do it though, and maybe even make it so old vers wouldn't install, but I know that would raise hell, (and only apply to vers made after the check was included). maybe something to think about for the next winamp client tho, since there will be a clean, obvious break between aol/radionomy vers?

--
Old 1st August 2014, 20:54   #8
DrO

there is already an air of dis-trust due to the crap that was in the Winamp installer over the years and some people still think that even the 5.66x installers have that in it (which is absolutely not the case), and you're saying we should start force removing / updating plug-ins? speechless.
Old 1st August 2014, 21:10   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

well, not quite... I would not be for "forcibly" removing or updating plugins.

but I am for something somewhat similar: I am suggesting that the installers themselves, whether they be for the main client or a plugin, could check to see if they are the "current ver" or not, and if they aren't, they could refuse to install themselves, and instead offer the user a link to DL the newest ver from. that's really all I'm suggesting.

but yes, I know it would infuriate people, and so I can understand not wanting to do it, but I just feel like after the initial outrage, they'd get over it, and it would eventually have benefits, as the older vers prior to this approach would die off as the OS's die off.

--
Old 1st August 2014, 21:27   #10
DrO

if someone doesn't want to update, they're not going to update so even if things were put in the installers or the client or whatever, it's not going to help with the scenario you're trying to cover.

overall, we have to respect what people do or do not want to install and if that means they're on 10+year old versions then so be it. as much as it complicates things, old versions are an issue where not much can be done about as someone using such an old version is pretty much unlikely to ever attempt to run anything new and so we're still in the same position.

at the end of the day, we can only provide what is known to work with the current version and if people use it, so be it, and if someone is on an old version, then that's their choice (not helped by some of the actions which were made to Winamp [especially the installer which was a sad thing that was done to help fund development at the cost of users in the last few years] ) and is something that has to be respected (and fundamentally is little that can be done about it anyway).
Old 1st August 2014, 21:38   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

that's totally valid. I was just explaining my rationale, and actually, my initial suggestion was just to make users aware that a newer ver exists, if one does, as opposed to actually not installing at all. that's the main hole i see, the casual users ignorance, and such a system would educate them. i have np with your decisions/rationale tho, i just wanted to explain myself. thx for listening.

--
Old 23rd August 2014, 17:01   #12
BraSma

As for the problem with windows 7/Vista/8 an the Push Button-problem:

Set winamp in compability mode and change it to run in XP (S3)

Then choose Line in

The features as Open Mixer will not work, but simply configure is at usual through windows.

A tip for others who were equally frustrated by this problem
BraSma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 17:37   #13
DrO

that is not an advised solution as you will cause Winamp problems by running it in compatibility mode on those versions of Windows..
Old 26th September 2014, 22:33   #14
DrO

*new version bump*
Old 27th September 2014, 05:47   #15
the SASS Man

Speaking of old versions....

I still keep a copy of Winamp 2.71 on my hard drive....I often use it when making .MP3 CDs (which I still use). By setting the Autorun.bat file to load and run the version of Winamp installed on the disc, I can ensure that my .MP3s will play on any comp I happen to find myself on (such as a work or library computer). And...my standalone MP3 CD players happily ignore the extraneous .exe and .dll files as it makes a list of .MP3 files.

It makes for a really easy multifunction music collection. A collection, by the way, that would NOT be possible using any recent version of Winamp.

--=> the SASS Man <=--
--> King of the Rock <--
the SASS Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 07:47   #16
ChiggyChiggy

This method works too you know :P http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...our-usb-drive/

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 07:57   #17
the SASS Man

Really? I was actually unaware that any version past 3.x could be installed to a portable device, and actually run. All of the setup and/or Registry integration actually prevented me from running Winamp on any comp that didn't already have it installed somewhere.

Thanks!

--=> the SASS Man <=--
--> King of the Rock <--
the SASS Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 08:23   #18
ChiggyChiggy

Im not all too sure if it wont mess with an installed Winamp's settings or not though :|

I suppose it always might have to be opened from the .cmd file to force it to use the portable way, DrO might be able to weigh in on this, since if Winamp can use an ini folder then it does have some form of portable functionality in it already..

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 12:30   #19
DrO

and these posts have what to do with the Source DSP...?

Winamp has been able to run without the need to use the registry for years, with more formal support added in 5.1x to run in an effective portable mode (as a number of the 2.x releases used the registry for information fyi).

the winamp.ini option to add/set is no_registry=1 in the main [Winamp] section which will then prevent registry writing and all that. and you can edit the paths.ini in the same folder as winamp.exe to have that able to control how / where Winamp will store its settings (subject to plug-in support i.e. a lot of old 3rd party plug-ins don't follow the API added in 2.9x to allow for this to work - even ones from the last few years!).

it's probably something which should be better supported than requiring people to find config options to manually set, etc such as via some sort of preference page or something like that.
Old 15th October 2014, 00:40   #20
MGarber

I dont seem to be getting the Winamp Source DSP Plug-in (dsp_sc.dll) that looks like is supposed to be in the sc_serv2_win32_09_09_2014.exe that I got from http://www.shoutcast.com/BroadcastNow.

Winamp Options/Preferences/PlugIns/DSP doesnt see the plug-in, nor does the file (dsp_sc.dll) exist anywhere on my machine.
MGarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 00:52   #21
DrO

what Winamp version? as it only works with 5.6 and newer (and was mainly tested against the Winamp version in my signature).
Old 15th October 2014, 02:00   #22
MGarber

"what Winamp version?"
v5.666 Build 3516 (x86)
Old 15th October 2014, 02:13   #23
DrO

you're not by chance running Winamp in its 'safe-mode'? if so then you'll need to disable that.

if it not, then you'll need to provide an info tool report for your Winamp install -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins and attach the generated zip to a reply.
Old 15th October 2014, 03:04   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGarber View Post
I dont seem to be getting the Winamp Source DSP Plug-in (dsp_sc.dll) that looks like is supposed to be in the sc_serv2_win32_09_09_2014.exe that I got from http://www.shoutcast.com/BroadcastNow.

Winamp Options/Preferences/PlugIns/DSP doesnt see the plug-in, nor does the file (dsp_sc.dll) exist anywhere on my machine.
The DSP is a separate download, at the bottom of the same page as the DNAS
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 03:25   #25
MGarber

"The DSP is a separate download, at the bottom of the same page as the DNAS"

Doh!!!

Thanks!!
Old 15th October 2014, 11:03   #26
DrO

Doh indeed, had completely not twigged that was the DNAS link.
Old 16th October 2014, 17:07   #27
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Just downloaded the latest version and so far I've not had any issues with it, even with WebJockey installed kludging the track info for stop set files. Certain file titles leak but at least now it's consistently sending the primary track metadata (the previous version did not except with manual title updates.) Seems like a very nice improvement.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 23:43   #28
DJ Matt

Is there a standalone version of this in the works? Our ancient encoder that is in use now has no v2 support so I'm screwed unless we can figure out a way to make it work.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
http://www.star104.net
Oldies104 Celebrating 14 years on the air! (Does anyone remember OldiesRadioNET.com?)
DJ Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 11:26   #29
DrO

not that i'm aware off (and if that changes or not i do not know either).

why are you "screwed" ? as all 2.x setups will accept a 1.x based source client (not preferred but it works) unless you're relating to a service which has been configured to only allow for 2.x source clients...? (as multiple 1.x source client support on DNAS 2.2 and newer does work apart from a lack of title update support on anything other stream #1)
Old 28th October 2014, 13:33   #30
DJ Matt

We're getting started with radionomy's new system, it doesn't appear to support relays but I emailed our support person to see if they will do that.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
http://www.star104.net
Oldies104 Celebrating 14 years on the air! (Does anyone remember OldiesRadioNET.com?)
DJ Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 14:35   #31
DrO

rightio, had a feeling it was related to that in some way.
Old 30th October 2014, 18:01   #32
wojtysz

Hello there,

I have a problem with crashing Winamp/DSP while switching to soundcard input on my setup.

Setup is: Winamp 5.666 build 3516 with DSP 2.3.5 build 222 running on Win XP.

Thing looks like this: everything freezes after switching to the Line In Input except the times I have disconnected the server before. But of course it is not possible to disconnect each time before a live show. It also crashes after switching back to Winamp Input...

I searched through the forum - just read thread no 348318 and I know it was an issue some time ago.

Thing is I wasn't playing live for some time and I found out about this crash just now.

Is there any solution for this crash?

I could provide more information if necessary.

Thx in advance

sopocki.com - the seasight radio
wojtysz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 18:49   #33
DrO

switching has never been stable - i've made it as stable as i can from the issues i've reproduced but i don't think it will ever be 100% (and is just the same as what the 1.x DSP experienced).

so i'm sorry but there's really not much i can suggest at the moment - if you're getting a crash report from that version of Winamp, i can try to have a look to see if it's something i can figure out i'm not sure (and tbh, XP is not an OS i do much active testing on nowadays so that might even be the reason).
Old 30th October 2014, 19:28   #34
wojtysz

Well as far as I remember I used to switch between the input sources before and after each live broadcast or recording. I don't remember any troubles.

I understand it is not 100% stable but now i'm experiencing 99.9 % non stable situation

Win XP is my preferable OS as it is the one that always allowed to do the mixing the way I'm used to... But maybe it's time to move on and find some other way.

Well I'll try sending the crash report tomorrow and be grateful for any help.

Old 30th October 2014, 19:33   #35
DrO

i've had it go through phases where it's unstable and then it's stable most of the time.

the Source DSP has always been just a basic way to get broadcasting, if you're seriously doing broadcasting then there's better options which are more dedicated to what's needed and can do more of what needs to be done for a broadcaster needing to do mixing (for just playing music as-is then the Source DSP is fine).
Old 31st October 2014, 15:29   #36
wojtysz

I tried SAM once or twice if you mean it but I think its not my cup of tea

I'm having a nightmare today - Winamp crashes even on Winamp Input and then again just after I click an icon to turn it on again. I downgraded to 2.3.3 and hope it will help...

Here is the crash report:

Winamp client version: 5.666 Build 3516
winamp caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module MSVCR90.dll at 001b:7855b9f0.

Exception handler called in Winamp.

http://www.sopocki.com/crash/report.zip

Old 31st October 2014, 16:09   #37
DrO

that crash is not at all what i expected as it appears to be due to changes made to filter out bad titles. was the current title 'Track 11' at the time of the crash? so i don't think it's the actual mode switch itself which is at fault in this case but something with the title changes - i'll probably need to do a bit of additional checking and sort out a test build for you to try.
Old 31st October 2014, 17:05   #38
wojtysz

99,9 % the title was This Is The One.

This error might be different than the one on Input change - I had so many crashes I probably saved wrong one.

Now I'm trying to get the report but it just crashes without creating it...

Will try some more.

Is the filter set to remove wrong titles like "Track 11" ?

Actually i have some CDs in foreign languages like Moroccan / Arabic? that I could not transcript so I named the tracks "Track 1" etc...

Old 1st November 2014, 06:28   #39
wojtysz

Downgraded to 2.3.3 with just a little effect.

The only thing that changed is that it plays longer before crash.

Crashing without report being created.

Setting Soundcard Input and not switching back allows to broadcast for few hrs.

Old 1st November 2014, 23:43   #40
wojtysz

Do you have to diconnect the server before adding new dj? Even if you have a bckp sound?

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions