Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop

Old 16th May 2014, 20:27   #1
c627627

How did you get Mildrop to be immune from minimize/maximize all Show Desktop button?

Lower right corner of Windows 7/8 Desktop has a show desktop link.

If you have multiple monitors, sometimes you want to have one window permanently be displayed on monitor 2 while working as usual on monitor 1, minimizing/maximizing multiple windows at once by using the Show desktop link.

Milkdrop is one of those windows and the creators have successfully accomplished this - the Milkdrop window does *not* minimize/maximize when you click on the Show Desktop button, which is great!

How did you manage to do this, how can this be done with another window, is there a program or command or way to permanently pin a window just like Milkdrop and have it permanently be displayed on Monitor 2 without minimize all button affecting it?
c627627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 20:32   #2
DrO

the source code is available for you to try to work it out.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 13:35   #3
c627627

Thank you for your reply. If I may modify the question. I understand that you are saying that the way it was done is somewhere inside the source code.

Does that mean that this is only possible if someone is programming something from scratch and could use info from source code?

My question was about, (for example), simply watching a streaming flash player episode available on all official TV station web sites on Monitor 2 (really big screen TV) while doing business as usual on Monitor 1.

In other words, you are working on your computer as usual, while an episode of something is playing on the side on your big screen TV. Well you don't want that episode to be disappearing every time you minimize all windows. Is there a way to make ordinary windows be locked in just like Mildrop is LOCKED in?
Old 17th May 2014, 13:39   #4
DrO

i really don't know what Milkdrop might be doing (whether it's something it directly does or is down to what it is using) and other than looking at the source code myself, i cannot answer your other questions.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 22:50   #5
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
I've looked at the source code as well, I don't see anything that would speak to that behavior? I believe, it may be consequence of a 'unknown feature', or possible 'a freak accident'. As the show desktop generally, is an OS function....lol. Sneaky...ahahaha

Desktop_Mode.cpp ~

To answer your question---> You'd have to add 'the function' to a new instance/program and it would 'inherit' (you'd have to program the usage to do a similar function)...in order to utilize it. Not impossible, but very tedious...considering your use case. You'd have to create a browser instance, windowed instance with browser functionality or similar and utilize the desktop_mode type function to save position state of the active window. None, of which guarantee's that at some future implementation that Microsoft will update the hook for the used API.

Of note: This function of Milkdrop does not work on Windows 8.1 Pro 64 B; and milkdrop itself doesn't work on Surface Pro - Windows 8.1 64B

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 23:31   #6
c627627

garetjax, thanks you for posting. I have Milkdrop running on Windows 8.0 in *permanent* full screen on my Plasma TV (connected to computer) and it is *unaffected* by clicking on the Show Desktop button.

Are you saying you could get a Firefox window to stay maximized, in particular a maximized flash player window inside Firefox?

That's what's needed so we can play a TV episode in Flash permanently maximized while doing regular computer work on main monitors. On Windows 8.0 and all previous versions of Windows - only Milkdrop can manage to stay unaffected by the minimize/maximize button.

So... how exactly would you accomplish this? I am having trouble understanding what you are saying and I do have (quite a bit of) Windows OS modification experience.
Old 7th June 2014, 13:29   #7
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
In win 8.1 you can full size content and slit resiZe the other so, that you have two pieces of content. I'd suggest looking into it.

1001skins |
Old 11th June 2014, 18:40   #8
c627627

Is this a Windows 8.1 new feature not available under Windows 8.0.

If you gave me juts one link to get me started, I would love to look into it.
Old 11th June 2014, 19:17   #9
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Yes. Win8.1 split screen; up to 4 screens

1001skins |
Old 12th June 2014, 13:07   #10
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

http://mywindows8.org/use-split-scre...n-windows-8-1/

1001skins |
Old 4th September 2016, 02:15   #11
c627627

After all these years I finally installed Windows 8.1.

Let me restate the objective:
Your computer is connected to both your TV and your computer monitor, and you want to permanently be showing a video on your TV without it being affected by the Show Desktop (minimize/maximize) button [lower right desktop corner, to the right of the Desktop clock].

*Only* Milkdrop when shown on TV [second monitor] in full screen, is not affected by that button. Every other program is.

I talked to one of the freeware media players creators (Daum Potplayer) and they said it cannot be done.

But of Milkrop did it... what needs to happen to have an option inside a media player to permanently maximize its display without it being affected by the Show Desktop button?
What needs to be part of a program, if you can talk to an actual media player developer?
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop