Old 1st December 2015, 23:35   #1
djpete
Major Dude

New Winamp skin by Steven Mould

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOm5H5yAFhg

A beautiful full screen skin. One of the prettiest I've seen in a long while.
Huge easy to read details. And those details...wow.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:19   #2
djpete
Major Dude

Now with speakers!
Now also avail from Deviantart for download.
http://djpete1959.deviantart.com/art...253A1449173769

Please advise how to get rid of the Maki script error as Steven is having no joy stopping it.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 4th December 2015, 17:31   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Interesting skin! The slide-out control panel for the equalizer is a nice touch. It will be great when it's finished. I really like these reproductions of old systems.

The source code for the vulight.maki script (and quite a few others) is not included in the zip file, so finding the reason for the null object call error is not possible.

On my system the speaker animation and the next track notifier are not working. The left and right channel peak indicators are indicating the same thing on both the equalizer and cassette deck. Both the A and B cassette decks are labeled "A". The remaining and elapsed time on the amplifier are showing the same time as songs play (remaining in my case, since that is the Winamp option I use). If these issues are not just with my configuration then they all should be fairly easy to fix.

Please let us know when the next version is released.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 19:45   #4
djpete
Major Dude

Thanks, will pass onto Steven. PS The speakers are not animated as yet.
Remain and elapsed time on amp seem to work here for me.
There is not notifier I know of.
Have already let him know re the "A" duplicate issue.
So what do we need to find the Maki script error?

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 4th December 2015, 20:24   #5
scottiescotsman

Thanks for the comments guys
#1 About the vulight.m wasn't available on the skin I took it from and I modified the xml to arrange it to fit the purpose of my skin.
#2 The tape deck is correctly named A & B and A & A are for the sides of the cassettes that have been inserted into the tape deck.
#3 the eq I know is just doubled and shows the same thing but I didn't have the expertise to change that as this is my first skin.

hoped that helped a little
Steven

ps...
used to get help from this forum loads from victhor
but sadly none recently
scottiescotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 20:33   #6
djpete
Major Dude

New version with animated speakers and smaller file size.
Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcvfTVyWBjQ

Deviant
http://djpete1959.deviantart.com/art...ould-575947619

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 5th December 2015, 14:50   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

@djpete,

Thank you for bringing this skin to our attention and providing a link for non-Facebook users. Which Winamp track time option do you have selected (remaining or elapsed)?

@scottiescotsman,

This is a very good 1st skin. The graphics are 1st rate. I'm sure you will learn in time how to deal with the few issues I mentioned above.

"A & A are for the sides of the cassettes that have been inserted into the tape deck". It's been so long since I used a system like your reproduction, that I didn't think of that. Another nice touch of detail.

Victhor is a great resource. He is probably busy with his own projects at the moment (and his Moderator duties). Just be patient and as you know, there are others willing to help you help yourself by providing guidance.

Old 5th December 2015, 15:31   #8
scottiescotsman

Smile victhor

Victhor has been awesome especially when I was going to throw the towel in few weeks ago showed me the directions I had to go and has been very patient with me

#1 have you time on elapsed and it will show both
#2 need re-write the vulight.m file eek :/ [no clue]
#3 show me how [the basics so I can figure it out myself] to edit the pledit to look like my skin.
#4 the eq only has 18x and 16 y so I had to double it to make it look good ... but would like to do that with left and right as says on the eq deck

any any help be so appreciated

Steven
Old 5th December 2015, 17:22   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

I'm not a skinner. What little I know is from asking Victhor questions about his skins. My background is in coding, so I can understand the scripts source code. I don't know the Winamp APIs, so I don't know how to use the commands correctly without a working example to work from. I know that separate left and right channel peak and frequency indicators are possible because I seen them working in other skins. Likewise for the skinning of the other Winamp windows, but I've no clue how it's done. You could send a PM to garetjax. He is an active classic mode skinner and may be able to help, although it is probably best to wait for Victhor.

You could also use some help from a coder, so it may be good to post a question in the Winamp Development sub-forum. The speaker animation looks good, but it also doesn't have separate responses and ignores the balance control (i.e. both continue to animation when the balance is full left or right).

Bottom line, what you have now is very good. You will learn how to make it better in time.

I got the elapsed and remaining time indicators to work by using the Ctrl+T shortcut keys. On other skins it works as a toggle to show elapsed or remaining time. Since your skin shows both, on my system it causes your skin to show the either the elapsed and remaining time correctly or the remaining time on both indicators.

Old 5th December 2015, 18:33   #10
scottiescotsman

if I pm garetjax I don't want to disturb him as I am a sponge for information ... I very logic minded that is good for coding and stuff, but need the correct guidance an I learn quickly as victhor will verify lol

I do not work because of heart problems so I have all day to learn and try ... I suppose that's how I learn quick

Thanks
Steven
Old 6th December 2015, 14:10   #11
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiescotsman View Post
..#2 need re-write the vulight.m file eek :/ [no clue]..
Yeah I'm in a constant rush lately and when I tried to look at your issue couldn't find the vulight.m file so that stopped me and forgot to post about it.
Using scripts without .m source files is generally a bad idea, you're working on the dark so it's a last resource.
What you can do to solve it is try to replicate as much as possible the XML structure of the original skin. You'll likely need to include layers / groups you don't need on your skin (in that case try adding to it "alpha=0" and "ghost=1". The system will read it as present on the skin but you won't see it or found it in any way).
When replicating the structure, respect how the groups are included within each other and where the maki file is located (inside which group -usually is the same as the gfx used for the effect, the vu lights in this case-). Names should also be the same, be it groups or layer names (you can try this before replicating other elements).
Example:

code:
<!-- YOUR SKIN-->
<groupdef id="tape.normal.group.anim" x="0" y="0" w="1284" h="320">
<!-- vu -->
<animatedlayer id="layer.vu.left" x="556" y="60" w="203" h="16" image="vu.img" ghost="1" />
<animatedlayer id="layer.vu.right" x="556" y="91" w="203" h="16" image="vu.img" ghost="1" />

<script id="eqvu" file="scripts/vulight.maki"/>
</groupdef>

code:
<!-- REPLICATED SKIN-->
<groupdef id="ORIGINAL GROUP NAME" x="0" y="0" w="1284" h="320">
<!-- vu -->
<animatedlayer id="ORIGINAL LAYER NAME" x="556" y="60" w="203" h="16" image="vu.img" ghost="1" />
<animatedlayer id="ORIGINAL LAYER NAME" x="556" y="91" w="203" h="16" image="vu.img" ghost="1" />

<script id="eqvu" file="scripts/vulight.maki"/>

<group id="OTHER INCLUDED GROUPS" x="0" y="0" w="1284" h="320" alpha="0" ghost="1"/>
<layer id="OTHER INCLUDED LAYER" x="0" y="0" w="100" h="100" alpha="0" ghost="1"/>

</groupdef>

PS: The time thing can be specified to show by default one of the 2 values, try modding display= with TIMEREMAINING or TIMEELAPSED. i.e.: display="TIMEELAPSED".

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 14:23   #12
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

PS: You should unify DeviantArt publications (probably leaving the one from the original author) so it's easier for Winamp fans groups to add it

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 6th December 2015, 16:11   #13
scottiescotsman

Probably better just writing new .m file so that it does left & right channel peak animation rather than the two doing the same as Aminifu said
But you know I am crap @ maki as I know nothing about it

Thanks very much guys
Means a lot

Steven
Old 6th December 2015, 16:30   #14
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Seeing I'm almost the only one providing assistance.. Looks like you'll have to go with my solution since I don't have the slightest idea how to make such script..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 6th December 2015, 17:17   #15
scottiescotsman

I will ask djpete to remove until error is fixed.
Old 8th December 2015, 14:11   #16
scottiescotsman

makes you wonder why winamp sort of died when no one helps anyone
Old 8th December 2015, 14:36   #17
scottiescotsman

Wink Guess what...

I found the vulight.m file lol

hope someone can fix it now ... tg

This is how I have it on my .xml

code:
<groupdef id="tape.normal.group.anim" x="0" y="0" w="1284" h="320">

<!-- vu -->

<animatedlayer id="layer.vu.left" x="556" y="60" w="203" h="16" image="vu.img" ghost="1" />
<animatedlayer id="layer.vu.right" x="556" y="91" w="203" h="16" image="vu.img" ghost="1" />

<script id="customvis" file="scripts/vulight.maki"/>

</groupdef>

Its actually from the sony media tower skin

Thanks
Steven
Attached Files
File Type: m vulight.m (2.0 KB, 98 views)
Old 8th December 2015, 19:15   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Steven,

I managed to find a way to stop the script errors when starting and using your skin. It is not a proper fix, just a hack that works. A real fix would require some editing of a few script source files and recompiling the associated scripts. How I found this solution is a long story, PM me if you want the gory details and my guess as to why it works.

Bottom line, 2 or 3 things need to be done for this hack to work.

1. Replace the JCV Winamp Modern's "seek.maki" file in it's scripts folder with the "seek.maki" file from the official Winamp Modern skin's scripts folder.

2. Replace the JCV Winamp Modern's "vulight.maki" file in it's scripts folder with the "vulight.maki" file from the Sony Media Tower skin's scripts folder. (This may not be necessary, but I didn't want to take the chance that the files are not the same. I wanted to be sure that the JCV Winamp Modern's "vulight.maki" file was made from the "vulight.m" file you provided.)

3. Add this line (without the starting and ending quotes) "<animatedlayer id="layer.vis" x="128" y="211" w="203" h="16" image="vu.img" alpha="0" ghost="1" />" to the 2 layer lines already in the group definition for the "tape.normal.group.anim" in the JCV Winamp Modern's "tape-normal-group.xml" file in it's xml folder.

Old 8th December 2015, 20:52   #19
djpete
Major Dude

on ya Aminifu

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 8th December 2015, 22:52   #20
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
makes you wonder why winamp sort of died when no one helps anyone
That's a bit of a stretch don't you think?. Until some months ago, DrO was answering EVERY QUESTION people asked in the forums, no matter how dumb it was, he would answer it ALWAYS. The same with Egg, people like Aminifu are always there too, Koopa and a lot more I can't recall now.

About your questions here, you seem to miss something; besides you, there is almost no one doing skins Winamp nowaday. Garetgax and me are sort of the only ones. So don't get too anxious about answers that 90% of the time you can get on your own (like we did) or we eventually deliver when free time and willing converge.
This is not an intention to be secretive about it, or anything like it, is just that being only me or Joe answering, you'll have less chances to have an answer in a very long list of things to do...

That said, Aminifu keep it up! XD Although the best solution would be to use that .m file and fix it (what I would have done by now if this answer wouldn't get so long..)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 9th December 2015, 02:49   #21
scottiescotsman

Thanks loads aminifu
and its just that I am so frustrated that all I need it a little info and I would sort it out myself [ I am not looking for peeps to do it all for me ] and just an excited 50+ year old [ would be ] young skinner lol

And I graciously take back my above comment

Thanks
Steven
Old 9th December 2015, 03:30   #22
Aminifu
Forum King

@scottiescotsman,

You're welcome. Like Victhor said, it's just what some of us around here do when we can.

@Victhor,

Yes the vulight.maki can be fixed, but there is also a problem with the original seek.maki and there is currently no source file for it.

Old 9th December 2015, 03:52   #23
scottiescotsman

uploaded the new .wal file thanks @Aminifu
Old 9th December 2015, 07:48   #24
scottiescotsman

geez I give up now I get a volume error grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 9th December 2015, 16:07   #25
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Steven,

Sorry about the volume control issue. There is a mismatch between the seek.maki file I suggested and your skin. I don't use the Winamp volume control so I didn't notice it. I leave the Winamp volume control and the Windows volume mixer control for Winamp at 100% and use the remote volume control for my speaker system to control my speakers volume. I have volume leveled all my audio files, so I don't need to adjust the volume as tracks change. I can usually set an output level with the remote and just leave it for the entire time I'm using Winamp.

Other than developing the scripts you need from scratch, the only way to really fix things is to find the source .m files for all the .maki script files in your skin. Edit them, as needed, to remove the items you don't use in your skin and recompile the .maki scripts that need adjustments.

The hack would be to determine the items specified in the current scripts, but not used in your skin and use the method Victhor stated in post #11 above, i.e. "You'll likely need to include layers / groups you don't need on your skin (in that case try adding to it "alpha=0" and "ghost=1". The system will read it as present on the skin but you won't see it or found it in any way)."

This is what I did for the extra layer I saw specified in the vulight.m file you provided. I don't know how to compile script files, so I used the method Victhor stated to modify the associated .xml file (i.e. allow the system to read the layer as present, but not display it). There were still other errors related to the original seek.maki file. Based on other 'clues' I saw elsewhere in the skin, I tried the seek.maki file I specified and those errors went away.

I'm truly sorry I didn't look for any other issues that substituting that particular seek.maki file would cause.

I hope you don't give up. It will take a lot of time without the .m source files, but it is still possible to look at the .maki files with a hex editor to find the names of all the items specified in them. Then determine what items are not used in the skin's .xml files and add them using the method Victhor stated.

Good luck.

Old 9th December 2015, 23:19   #26
scottiescotsman

Hey @Aminifu there is defo no need to be sorry geez, I'm the muppet that cant get it lol
if I knew how to code maki id be sorted but there is no one out there that is willing or has the time to do so So I think I got few months left in me to finish it before the big man upstairs takes me to the winamp cloud lol

p.s. need pl skin help

Steven
Old 10th December 2015, 00:22   #27
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Took a shot to the vulight.m file. 40 mins trying to solve it. Strange enough I couldn't get rid of the damn guru error (though it plays fine). Animated layers ID are ok, script is inserted where it's supposed to.. everything is fine, except that it keeps throwing that error.
At this point my guess is that the original script is flawed somehow, didn't try to implement it from scratch, will do later. That will sort it out if there's something on the skin or on the script side.

What does the Seek script do? I've just canceled the call to the script on the XML (putting it in comments tags) and the seek Guru error was gone (and the seeker working just fine).

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 10th December 2015, 01:01   #28
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Confirmed, it's the script.

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 10th December 2015, 15:09   #29
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Confirmed, it's the script.
I assume you mean the seek.maki script.

What I'm able to determine, using Notepad (or a HEX editor) to look at the original seek.maki and the one I specified, is that this script allows the point of playback within a track to be changed by clicking and dragging within the seeker bar. Are you saying you are still able to do this with the seek.maki script disabled?

The indicator of playback position within the seeker bar is controlled by something else.

Both of these seek.maki scripts do the same thing, but in different ways and some of the 'element names' are different. I don't know the proper terminology for what I'm calling 'element names'. I'm still trying to determine what the connection is to the volume control. The volume control slider does not trigger an error, only the round volume control does.

As for the vulight.maki script, the Sony Media Tower skin (which that script came from) has 3 peak level animations which that script creates. Left, right, and a combined effect that wraps around the central playback control element. It's the combined effect layer that I added to Steven's skin so that it would be detected as present, but not displayed (step 3 in post #18 above).

Last edited by Aminifu; 10th December 2015 at 16:18.
Old 10th December 2015, 20:23   #30
scottiescotsman

most of the other scripts are from the script help pages so I noticed those are old scripts and that's prob why they no longer gel together.
its not the coding I cant get as I have done some before its the terminology I cant get
but you both helping me great

tA
Steven
Old 18th December 2015, 17:12   #31
scottiescotsman

maki convert

hi victhor can u convert this as I cant plz

just changed a few settings

thanks
Steven
Attached Files
File Type: m volumeknob.m (5.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 18th December 2015, 19:31   #32
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

There you go, I also attached my files to compile maki files on Win 10.
Just remember to gain administrator privileges (take ownership) of the folder (Winamp_compile), the same with mc.exe and remember to put it into Winamp installation folder (MAYBE you need to gain admin access / take ownership to the Winamp install folder too).
Attached Files
File Type: zip volumeknob.zip (2.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: zip Winamp_M_Compile_Win10.zip (287.5 KB, 87 views)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 19th December 2015, 16:28   #33
scottiescotsman

thanks victhor the compiler worked a treat

doing maki coding now woop woop lol

stupid question a gradient map for a dial ... tried to do it there must be a knack I am missing lol ... as the other links are dead so cant find out how to make one and if I enlarge or decrease the one I have it distorts the bitmap

any links be good

also I have the knob on my volume only rotate from its original position 80deg as I wanted but I still have to rotate my mouse 360deg any help ??

thanks
Steven
Old 19th December 2015, 20:41   #34
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
..a gradient map for a dial ... tried to do it there must be a knack I am missing lol ... as the other links are dead so cant find out how to make one and if I enlarge or decrease the one I have it distorts the bitmap

any links be good

also I have the knob on my volume only rotate from its original position 80deg as I wanted but I still have to rotate my mouse 360deg any help ??..

Sorry mate, I never played with knobs before, so you probably know more than me at this point.. :/

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 19th December 2015, 21:16   #35
scottiescotsman

ok I got it to work within the boundaries I have set

but there is something wrong with how it looks

I will attach files so you can look victhor ... and only sound buttons added and volume at

present...
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (416.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 19th December 2015, 21:20   #36
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Exactly what is it you think looks wrong?

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 19th December 2015, 22:03   #37
scottiescotsman

as you are turning the volume knob it gets distorted out of shape
Old 19th December 2015, 22:07   #38
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Dude!! Drugs can't make it better! Lol... I couldn't even grab the volume knob, but using Up/Down did the trick.. and quite a trick.. heh. Like I said, no idea about how knobs work, you'll have to inspect on your own what's the source of this issue (probably is something simple).

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 20th December 2015, 14:14   #39
scottiescotsman

I need to know how to make a knob ghost map as I cant figure out how to lol
and the links in the forum are dead
Old 20th December 2015, 18:49   #40
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Like I said, no idea about how knobs work, you'll have to inspect on your own what's the source of this issue (probably is something simple).
__

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins