Old 22nd November 2016, 15:32   #1
ParadoxicalFox

I'm too late. AVS town is deserted

To be honest i think everyone has quit AVS'ing...

i still like AVS, although AVStrans is broken..

Why did you use eeltrans? why?

this is broken for now, i can not know how some presets looked like..
all the presets throughout Winamp Forums Compilation which included eeltrans look different than it used to be when it worked.

i dont think anyone comes here anymore..

i hope someone replies to this...
ParadoxicalFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 17:50   #2
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Truth is, time progresses and AVS doesn't. AVS has never been stable to begin with. AVS worked best for me in windows 98. Do you remember how long ago that was?

More and more will break as systems become incompatible with AVS.
I still like it too and it's sad that AVS is in the state that it is, but there's not much I can do about it as I'm not a programmer, let alone the wizard that's required to do something about AVS.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 11:41   #3
ParadoxicalFox

if AVS doesnt work correctly above Vista or 7, then how about XP or below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMT1970 View Post
As many of you may know, presets using global variables are known to instantly crash Winamp when switching to a new preset. This occurs on all pcs running Windows 7. [...]
Old 29th November 2016, 18:20   #4
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

it should be better, but then there are the numerous safety reasons to avoid unmaintained OS'es

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 30th November 2016, 13:32   #5
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

... because there are no Windows Updates anymore for Windows XP.

In 2017 Windows Vista will be the next Windows Version and in 2020 also Windows 7, which will not be supported anymore. It would be a nightmare for me, if I would have to use Windows 10 some day. I didn't have tried it yet, also I never had tried Windows 8 / 8.1 as Windows Versions.

In 2004 Frank and I had bought 2 computers with XP. In 2007 the first one had died and in 2015 also the second one.

I myself never would have known to where new .avs-files should have been copied and pasted, because there are more than only one folder for these presets.

I am focussed very much on Milkdrop 2, random textures and desktop wallpapers, but also on SUI-Skins.

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 19:05   #6
musicf8

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
It would be a nightmare for me, if I would have to use Windows 10 some day. I didn't have tried it yet, also I never had tried Windows 8 / 8.1 as Windows Versions.
Windows 10 isn't as bad as some people say it is. Is it perfect? no, but no windows version is perfect first time around.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 1/5/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 13:29   #7
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Okay... But in some other threads I have read, there are problems with the displaying of Winamp on Windows 10. On some other computers with Windows 10 there are some missing components of DirectX 9.0c, the d3dx9_31.dll, and it is needed for the Milkdrop 2 Visualizer.

I cannot imagine a life without Winamp & Milkdrop. And I don't want, that suddenly unwanted people appear in our apartment and take me away my most loved songs and my most loved media player...

Old 3rd December 2016, 21:44   #8
musicf8

I use cPro2 and haven't used the original skin for a while, but I haven't notice any problems with fonts. The direct x9 stuff can be fixed by reinstalling the redistributable, which I had to do a few times on older versions of windows to get directx9 support. (I use milkdrop occasionally on my windows 10 x64 machine)

Really though, when the time comes where you have to change, I think you'll be fine. Windows 7 is good till 2020 or so anyway.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
Old 6th December 2016, 15:07   #9
ParadoxicalFox

look. im talking about XP because in windows 10, AVS crashes if switched to any preset with
global variables or AVStrans automation APEs.

i still ask myself why did you guys (old AVSers) use these goddamn borked apes?
Old 6th December 2016, 16:38   #10
musicf8

Go find the authors and ask them.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 9th December 2016, 14:50   #11
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Also I myself have discovered the .ape-files in the folder "avs", side-by-side with the .bmp-files, and I don't know, which job do the .ape-files do. And there are 2 subolders for the presets, "Community Picks" and "Winamp 5 Picks". How should the user know, to where should the new downloaded presets go?

After on my PC I had installed Winamp also on my notebook, and I saw AVS, also I had recognized one of the presets, which appears also in one of the videos in my following YouTube-Playlist (by Sternenmaschinebine), "MAGIX & Ableton & FL Studio & Propellerhead", and I have just discovered, that my URL in my file "SabineKlare_Journals_Exerpt.txt" does not work anymore, I have to check out, what did happen, maybe I have only to update my .txt-file and nothing else.

In our life Frank and I had cancelled the contact to a few people, who only wanted to dictate our life. One of them has tried to dictate also our music-taste, and we ourselves can decide, what we want to hear, also if it is not Mainstream. And of course such people never are allowed to touch my computers.

Edit:
Fortunately my channel itself still exists...
https://www.youtube.com/user/Sternenmaschinebine
and that's strange, now I have compared the URL of the playlist, and the URL is correct... Maybe I have copied it into Firefox wrongly, and today I am very nervous, because I am also called away from the computer very often...

Old 9th December 2016, 21:10   #12
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxicalFox View Post
look. im talking about XP because in windows 10, AVS crashes if switched to any preset with
global variables or AVStrans automation APEs.

i still ask myself why did you guys (old AVSers) use these goddamn borked apes?
Most APE's were made around 2002 and most people were still using Windows 98(SE), a few on the slower XP. I always felt that AVS was most stable on W98 too. With CPU speeds around 1GHz, reducing unnecessary calculations was critical and thus some .APE's were made, including AVStrans. It also made coding easier. They sure weren't borked when they were made. Keep in mind that this is almost 15 years ago.

Old 10th December 2016, 09:08   #13
ParadoxicalFox

i wish i was there when eeltrans worked, because they look different without it.
AVS Blox doesnt work.
Prejections doesnt work.
Manhatten doesnt work.
Meshgrid doesnt work.
The CWT doesnt work.
why did it broke.
i guess i missed a lot of stuff in the winamp forums, to be honest.
only born in 2004 and only knew of this community in 2016

i wish i could see Bitmapped II

i cant see nothing with the broken eeltrans.
i am hopeless, i suppose
Old 13th December 2016, 12:51   #14
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

You could dualboot with an older windows version and keep it offline? Alternatively, Winamp also runs in linux through Wine

Old 13th December 2016, 16:48   #15
ParadoxicalFox

anyways im going to make a preset pack..

.. but the only audience im going to get is probably only you.
i want to make a preset with a 3D GVM computer i modeled in blender, but i dont know
how to code it.
i have the GVM code, but i would need jheriko's help, which at this time, should have already
retired.

my idea is pretty based in PAK-9's Sit and Stare, but with the computer only and a
dynamic-movement screen instead of triangle.
i really want to do that
Old 16th December 2016, 13:50   #16
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Video 15 & 16 in my playlist are not the videos which I had meant. Unfortunately Video 17 & 18 had been deleted by YouTube. I don't believe, that the user would have done a copyright infringement, because usually the YouTube Electronic Music Composers don't do that. But sometimes musician-accounts are hacked.

Also I myself am very late. On 22nd July 2010 I saw Winamp the first time, on my own PC. In the Nineties my many former real contacts didn't have a computer, and because so many people simply had dumped us, I had to learn everything alone. I wish, I would have seen Winamp also on someone else's computer at least once in my live, in real with my own eyes, not via YouTube.

So I had learned to know especially Milkdrop and not AVS.

I hope, that someone will be around the world, who would be able to give a resurrection also for AVS...

Old 2nd January 2017, 15:43   #17
fc*uk

Really, if it were up to me for all you old OSers (please excuse the term, much easier to say than all you users out there looking to run Windows 98 or Windows XP, or possibly something even earlier)...

What I would do is make VMWare your friend. I've done it with a lot of legacy PC programs that I fell in love with (Elf Bowling is taken VERY seriously around the holidays in my house).

Anyway, just make a VM of your favorite OS and purchase any computer running any OS that you want. Open your old VM to get your beloved programs back. This takes away all of the security risk and keeps you current and not clinging onto 15 year old computers and hardware.

As an example, I currently run MacOS 10.10 and have a Windows XP VM on my mac that I use to run Elf Bowling and Winamp.

I started the VM back in 2008; it's been through a lot of different Mac OSes and a lot of different mac computers ... but the VM remains unchanged...
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:56   #18
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I know about VMware and use it daily at work.
But until recently I guess virtual machines/hardware were still too slow for to give the CPU hogging AVS a good framerate at higher resolutions than 300x400. And I don't expect overlay mode to work.
If you don't plan on using it fullscreen on a second screen I guess it would work.

Old 14th May 2017, 06:03   #19
fragmer

I got AVS working on Windows 10 the other day (10.0.14393 Pro x64). Had to launch Winamp in "Vista" compatibility mode and with admin rights. It worked though!

Winamp version is v5.666 Build 3516 (x86) with no third-party plugins/patches.

My ancient avs presets all load (2003-2004). Haven't tried anything with AVSTrans or nonstandard APEs yet. That's next.
fragmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 06:46   #20
fragmer

Tried a few APEs. These work:
  • All the bundled APEs (Texer I/II, MultiFilter, Fyrewurx, Convolution, Colormap, AddBorder)
  • Picture II
  • AVSGrabber (2.0 alpha) -- at least in "raw" mode. I couldn't get other codecs to work.
  • Flock Off (flock.ape)
  • Normalise

Sadly, these APEs don't work:
  • Editor Resize
  • AVSTrans (eeltrans.ape / v1.25)

One more quirk I noticed: if you switch presets by pressing Prev/Next buttons on the AVS window while you have edits, an unclickable "Are you sure" dialog will pop up and Winamp will softlock. However if you use File>Load or File>New in the AVS Editor window instead, you'll be fine.
fragmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions