Old 11th May 2017, 01:55   #1
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Cheapest new laptop capable of running Windows 7?

Hi folks,

I'm shopping for a laptop that meets the following criteria:

> Hardware supports Windows 7
> Hardware supports Office 2016 and Photoshop CS2 (2005)
> DVD drive (burning not required)

My preferred retailer's listing, in ascending price order, is here: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-...&sd=1&fm=false

What's the cheapest one that meets my criteria?

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 20:45   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

With or without keylogger?

Just build a wall around your whole country and put a roof on top, but make sure it's air-tight. Then you can pollute all you want.
Don't worry, God won't let you suffocate.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 23:39   #3
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaekwad2 View Post
> HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S): HP EliteBook / ProBook / ZBook / Elite x2

Pretty sure I won't be getting one of those, but thanks for the heads-up.

I jumped at the Lenovo Ideapad 110-A6 (80TJ00F8AU) at $398.65, down 15% from $469. It'll do the job nicely (hopefully playing nice with Windows 7).

After clicking "ORDER", I got home and managed to get the old/current laptop working by removing one of the HDDs. Very frustrating that it wouldn't even POST or allow BIOS access when the only problem was a fucked HDD. I've replace the HDD and installed Windows 7 last night, almost back up to where it was before the dramas, and now I've got a new laptop on the way that I may not need. #godfuckingdammit

Old 12th May 2017, 14:38   #4
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Yeah, any fucked up component can do that.

No way to cancel the order?

Just build a wall around your whole country and put a roof on top, but make sure it's air-tight. Then you can pollute all you want.
Old 13th May 2017, 05:28   #5
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

The retailer is actually very good about refunds and cancellations; unfortunately, I shared news of the order with my client (ShyShy Jr) who would have been most unimpressed had I told her that her new laptop wasn't going to be hers after all.

I collected the Lenovo yesterday and it's now sitting on my dining table while I extol the old/current model's virtues, attempting to talk my client into keeping it and letting me return the new one. Wish me luck.

Old 13th May 2017, 14:13   #6
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Hmm, I'd wish you luck, but since I vividly remember hoping some things might break already so they could be replaced I'm not sure which side I should take.

Old 15th May 2017, 02:09   #7
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I've had what I consider a win, or as close to a win as was achievable: the client has agreed to keep using the current model "until it breaks" which, in reality, will be "until I really really want to use the new one instead", as the current one really is a bit dated (although highly specced). So hopefully I'll get another six months out of it, i.e. lasting through the remainder of this school year.

I'll take that time to get the new one either (a) working with Windows 7 or (b) not working with Windows 7 and begrudgingly working with a reinstalled Windows 10, all telemetry and 16-odd pages of privacy/reporting bullshit having been turned off, of course.

Old 25th May 2017, 23:43   #8
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
> Hardware supports Windows 7
Surprise, surprise: the hardware is being a motherfucking bitch.

Most problematic is the wireless adapter; I believe it's a Realtek RTL8821AE but I'm not sure.

First, I found a Lenovo drivers page for another Ideapad 110 (not my model) that supported Win 7 as well as Win 10, and proceeded to download and install everything there; some of it didn't work (chipset, graphics, USB 3.0 to mention a few) but one thing that worked perfectly was the WLAN. Taking this for granted, I didn't note down the exact WLAN installer package ID and went full steam ahead installing everything else. Eventually, after I tried to install something (maybe USB 3.0 host controller) I found that the WLAN was not working: "No connections available", red cross through the taskbar Wi-Fi icon, etc. I tried disabling and enabling the adapter, uninstalling in Dev Man, to no avail.

I decided that I'd start from scratch: I reformatted and reinstalled Windows 7. First cab off the rank this time was SP1, after which I tried to install the WLAN from what I thought was the one I had used the first time around, but this time it returned something like "No appropriate hardware detected/installed". I installed the LAN driver (also Realtek) and then proceeded with other stuff—graphics, USB 3.0, "Unknown devices" including PCI\VPC2004 and PCI\MSFT0101, and then a few other sources for WLAN drivers. The WLAN has now disappeared from Dev Man.

My next step will be to reinstall Win 10 to check whether the WLAN comes back; if it does, I know there's a problem with Win 7 that I should be able to solve. If it doesn't come back, I know there's a problem with the WLAN, probably hardware, in which case I'll take the freshly Win 10'd machine back to the retailer and ask for a new one.

Happy to take any advice or suggestions about other/better courses of action.

Old 31st May 2017, 03:26   #9
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
My next step will be to reinstall Win 10 to check whether the WLAN comes back; if it does, I know there's a problem with Win 7 that I should be able to solve.
This scenario played out yesterday, making me happy that I wouldn't have to return the machine, but annoyed that I stuffed up somehow and would need to keep working on Win 7.

Before wiping 10 and reinstalling 7, I noted down the WLAN card name from the Win 10 Dev Man window and downloaded the Win 7 driver for that card. After reinstalling 7, I immediately installed the WLAN driver, which worked. Yay! I then went through a few more installations, creating a number of restore points along the way: SP1, graphics including Net Framework 4.5, camera, card reader, Lenovo Energy Mgmt, Lenovo Utility (HuD for Caps Lock, Num Lock etc), AMD PSP and maybe some others. Net Framework 4.7 didn't install as it was missing another hotfix, which I downloaded and installed but after which Net Framework 4.7 still failed, so meh.

Next up will be to finish off the other Unknown / no-drivers items in Dev Man including USB 3.0, install Panda AV and ZoneAlarm, then I'm off and running.

I'll make sure to compile a list and repository of all the driver/etc software for this machine, onto a USB stick which'll stay with it forever, along with the 4GB stick that I already have which contains the self-installing image of Win 10 (just in case).

There's now a good deal of light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 1st June 2017, 18:20   #10
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I suggest running a live linux session for finding out what hardware you have, testing it etc.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 22:07   #11
cuvtixo

Windows7????????????????????????

The guy is running Windows 7, and is asking for Win 7 in a new laptop. It makes me doubt he could set up a dvd or usb stick or SD card for a live linux session.
Any NEW laptop you can buy runs Windows 10. Asking for 7 is almost as bad as asking for a laptop that runs DOS.
I also don't know of any stock DVD drives incapable of burning. I don't think I've seen any optical drives that don't burn since CD drives were initially coming out (I remember it was a big deal for NeXT cubes to have no floppy disk drives, only optical. That is going back at least 20 years)
If you don't like Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, consider a different operating system altogether. MacOS, linux (Ubuntu), or ChromeOS as in a chromebook. You can run Office 365 and "Photoshop Streaming" from a Chromebook now- Big applications like that are moving to the "cloud". Old Windows versions are insecure, vulnerable to viruses, and Microsoft can be counted on to denigrate their old operating systems fairly quickly. They will bend over backward for corporate accounts; but for personal use- your old OS can be counted on to have problems with new printers, new usb wifi hardware and software, and the like. The best solution is to move away from Windoze altogether.MAybe it's a little ironic to be spouting this on a forum for software that hasn't been upgraded in many years, but there you go. Winamp should have been open sourced years ago. When you can't upgrade a product, let users do it for you!
cuvtixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 11:49   #12
Twicetheyungyrs

Potatos can run Win7 last I heard
Twicetheyungyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 03:03   #13
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuvtixo View Post
The guy is running Windows 7, and is asking for Win 7 in a new laptop. It makes me doubt he could set up a dvd or usb stick or SD card for a live linux session.
Thanks for your commentary on my ability, new friend.

Any NEW laptop you can buy runs Windows 10. Asking for 7 is almost as bad as asking for a laptop that runs DOS.

Don't be absurd. Or do be absurd; what do I care?

I also don't know of any stock DVD drives incapable of burning. I don't think I've seen any optical drives that don't burn since CD drives were initially coming out (I remember it was a big deal for NeXT cubes to have no floppy disk drives, only optical. That is going back at least 20 years)

Funny you should mention this; only last night I was looking through ebay for another laptop (buying for another friend, unrelated to the laptop requirements in this thread) and noted with bemusement that one used laptop's description actually did specify that the DVD drive was read-only, i.e. not a burner. So, yes, they do exist.

If you don't like Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, consider a different operating system altogether. MacOS, linux (Ubuntu), or ChromeOS as in a chromebook. You can run Office 365 and "Photoshop Streaming" from a Chromebook now- Big applications like that are moving to the "cloud".

You may like the idea of could software; I do not. I'll keep my old-school offline installers, thanks. As for the OS, Windows 7 works for me. Not sure why I would move away from something I'm happy with, so long as it continues to work. I've dipped my toes in the water of a few linux distros, but none of them have really appealed to me. As for ChromeOS, I prefer a fuller-fledged OS. As for MacOS, taking inferior software designed for inferior hardware and running it on superior hardware, rather than the superior software I already run, is not a thought I would have considered entertaining.

Old Windows versions are insecure, vulnerable to viruses, and Microsoft can be counted on to denigrate their old operating systems fairly quickly. They will bend over backward for corporate accounts; but for personal use- your old OS can be counted on to have problems with new printers, new usb wifi hardware and software, and the like.

Windows 7 still works. I run third-party firewall and AV software. I don't often buy new peripherals; if and when I do, I make sure they'll work with my existing gear.

The best solution is to move away from Windoze altogether.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

MAybe it's a little ironic to be spouting this on a forum for software that hasn't been upgraded in many years, but there you go. Winamp should have been open sourced years ago. When you can't upgrade a product, let users do it for you!

You raise an interesting point, to wit: Why are you here?

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions