Old 11th June 2010, 04:38   #1
CJW

Installation

I am installing Winamp v2.91 (b/c I like this version best & it's small) & would like to know what each of these mean (I've forgotten since I 1st had to install Winamp):

Winamp Agent: what & why is this needed?
Winamp Library: what & why is this needed?
Nullsoft Video: what & why is this needed?
Nullsoft Tiny Fullscreen: what & why is this needed?
CJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 12:42   #2
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

All those components are optional. It depends only on you if you need them or not.

Winamp agent maintains file associations. It tells windows to open mp3s with winamp. It also adds the "play in winamp" rightclick to folders.

The Media Library allows you to organize your music collection.

I don't know what Nullsoft Video is but I assume video playback.

Nullsoft Tiny Fullscreen is a visualisation I think.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 14:20   #3
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

All of which have been vastly improved and updated since the release of 2.91 BTW, as has much of the core components of winamp.

By all means upgrade, but choose a more recent version and simply untick the stuff you don't need during the install process.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 14:51   #4
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by P$ycHo™ View Post
Winamp agent maintains file associations. It tells windows to open mp3s with winamp.
up until 5.53/Vista/Win7 installs that was true in that it would try to maintain the association but after 5.53/on a Vista/Win7 client then it doesn't and relevant code was removed in 5.57x from what i remember pending further work/changes (so it's really just a quick-launcher now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by P$ycHo™ View Post
It also adds the "play in winamp" rightclick to folders.
that is however wrong and is done by the installer/Winamp during the setup phase.

--------------

i just don't get this fascination people have with installing 2.x clients when they're so buggy and the small thing isn't valid as i run recent 5.5x clients on a P3 @ 450Mhz laptop without any issues *shrugs* and as most things can be removed its memory footprint compares pretty well and unused memory is wasted memory (hence the changes in Vista/Win7 to do more in available memory than swapping things out to disk as XP and before did when there wasn't the memory in machines).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 20:01   #5
CJW

Thanks for the explanations.

Reason I'd rather not upgrade is b/c v2.91 works fast & is stable. Plus, new version comes w/things I don't need/want:
Purchasing tickets
Winamp Orgler
iPod Sync Support
iTunes Library Import
Online Services Gallery
OurStage Radio Online Services
Turkish, Romanian & Portuguese Language Packs
AOL Radio
Winamp toolbar
Album Art Support for Portable Devices
Updated Podcast Directory
Fully Integrated Web browser
Portable Device Sync support
Expanded Podcast Directory
SHOUTcast Radio
AOL Video Playback
AOL Radio stations

Plus, I have Chun-Yu Shei MP3 Output Plug-in to MP3 my CD's; which doesn't work in 5.5
CJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 20:52   #6
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

You don't have to install any of that crap though!

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/like_the_wind/
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=280693

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 23:06   #7
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
up until 5.53/Vista/Win7 installs that was true in that it would try to maintain the association but after 5.53/on a Vista/Win7 client then it doesn't and relevant code was removed in 5.57x from what i remember pending further work/changes (so it's really just a quick-launcher now).

that is however wrong and is done by the installer/Winamp during the setup phase.

--------------

i just don't get this fascination people have with installing 2.x clients when they're so buggy and the small thing isn't valid as i run recent 5.5x clients on a P3 @ 450Mhz laptop without any issues *shrugs* and as most things can be removed its memory footprint compares pretty well and unused memory is wasted memory (hence the changes in Vista/Win7 to do more in available memory than swapping things out to disk as XP and before did when there wasn't the memory in machines).

-daz
Ah. Well in the settings it still says "maintains file associations", so I thought it still did that.

Oh, and my winamp.exe is like 2-7 MB in ram.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions