Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Old 6th January 2014, 14:29   #121
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsnet View Post
Bringing SC into the modern age? Do share your thoughts on how this can be accomplished.
Because you chose to ask the way you did.
No.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 17:16   #122
MadJack

SHOUTcast IS the modern age. It's all but perfect, in my opinion.
MadJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 21:50   #123
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
Its simple. if say Radionomy took over we may not even have to be licensed to broadcast on Shoutcast just like the days when Live365 was FREE, Plus it would be a huge success for the already dying RIAA AND their ilk for they will make money from the royalties paid by Radionomy. More people may come on board for they don't have to worry about huge licensing costs when their ATH rises. Advertisers will see a way to make money from Internet Radio operators in a mass scale and I am sure Radionomy would make it easier to broadcast with software like NextKast, Stationplaylist, SAM, ect. Since they would own Shoutcast the burden would be upon them and not you the hobby broadcasters. It could turn the tables on all of this notion that you can't profit from Internet Radio (but Radionomy would have to make some repairs to their system).

The Bad: Progressive Rock (Album Rock) stations like The Legacy could not really survive on Radionomy (unless they live the minutes per track rule). Songs like Supper's Ready from Genesis for example are longer than 15 minutes. I'm sure Radionomy may change this a bit if this really were to take place.

Till we get an official word all if this is speculation so I'd really like to get some real official word on this.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 10:29   #124
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkey View Post

Radionomy
is a good company, more than capable of bringing shoutcast into the modern age.
That does not appear to the view of quite a few people. I know nothing about them but their reputation is a little thin.

In some ways it does not matter as it comes down to what, if anything they do, but lets keep speculating by the end of the thread they will no doubt make everyone rich and keep everyone happy.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 15:23   #125
Bryon Stout

guys so far nothing has been changed with shoutcast. As of right now there are no indications that Radionomy is going to own it. The only data we have is that they own/going to own winamp.
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 22:48   #126
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
SHOUTcast IS the modern age. It's all but perfect, in my opinion.
Visit shoutcast.com on an Android phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored_womble View Post
That does not appear to the view of quite a few people. I know nothing about them but their reputation is a little thin.
BW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon Stout View Post
guys so far nothing has been changed with shoutcast. As of right now there are no indications that Radionomy is going to own it. The only data we have is that they own/going to own winamp.
**AOL will retain shoutcast, These forums will be gone and some kind of wiki will be
setup, similar to the one on the winamp sub domain now.

**Guess.

Old 8th January 2014, 18:25   #127
voodoohippie

Maybe I'm missing something but maybe its just me. If Radionomy wants to take over Winamp (which is an Mp3 player and can broadcast to Shoutcast with DSP) than why not also try and bid for Shoutcast? This way they could change things around and inject the ads to pay for Royalties? This way they could scrap their platform and go with any AutoDj system that actually works. Even if they had to use (cough cough) Centovacast or better yet they could try and work out a package deal with something more reliable such as Shoutcast Automation or LiveWebDJ for an easy switch from AutoDJ to Live and vise-verse. It makes sense that they want to try Winamp first as everyone should be able to fire up the player and press the Encode button on the DSP. And yes it would keep the window open for new broadcast software down the road as needed when Radionomy makes changes to their system.

My best educated guess is they would try and take both not just one.

Old 9th January 2014, 13:12   #128
lazvon

The only facts out there so far are that:

1) nullsoft.com name server records have changed to being hosted by name servers that are registered as ns*.radionomy.com

2) winamp.com name server records have changed to being hosted by name servers that are registered as ns*.radionomy.com

Beyond that... no other facts exist. No matter what you've read on the Internet, these two facts may (or may not) be evidence of something else occurring. The lack of evidences means nothing. Only an official announcement will have the facts beyond those two facts above.
lazvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:26   #129
Jkey
Forum King

lazvon since this is the only subject you have discussed since you joined these
forums, I have to ask, Are you from or do you work for Radionomy ?

Feel free to pm the response.

Old 9th January 2014, 15:33   #130
jfmauguit

I would say he isn't :-)
jfmauguit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:33   #131
lazvon

I do not.
Old 9th January 2014, 15:33   #132
lazvon

Ha.
Old 9th January 2014, 15:39   #133
Jkey
Forum King

hahahah thx jfmauguit

Old 9th January 2014, 15:43   #134
Bryon Stout

You speak as if shoutcast was put up for sale. Not once was anything mentioned about shoutcast being for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoohippie View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but maybe its just me. If Radionomy wants to take over Winamp (which is an Mp3 player and can broadcast to Shoutcast with DSP) than why not also try and bid for Shoutcast? This way they could change things around and inject the ads to pay for Royalties? This way they could scrap their platform and go with any AutoDj system that actually works. Even if they had to use (cough cough) Centovacast or better yet they could try and work out a package deal with something more reliable such as Shoutcast Automation or LiveWebDJ for an easy switch from AutoDJ to Live and vise-verse. It makes sense that they want to try Winamp first as everyone should be able to fire up the player and press the Encode button on the DSP. And yes it would keep the window open for new broadcast software down the road as needed when Radionomy makes changes to their system.

My best educated guess is they would try and take both not just one.
Old 9th January 2014, 15:53   #135
Jkey
Forum King

How does discontinuation of WinAmp affect ShoutCast?

Quote:
You speak as if shoutcast was put up for sale. Not once was anything mentioned about shoutcast being for sale.

Give him a break, we are in the shoutcast section of these forums
Since shoutcast is also nullsoft's baby, assuming it would follow winamp
in a sale, is not that much of a leap to make.

Old 10th January 2014, 03:35   #136
voodoohippie

thanks for setting the record straight. the fact that the host names are now pointing to Radionomy should speak for itself. Ive worked with terrestrial Radio where one company buys another company's Radio station where secretly behind the scene before the call letters and genre changes the company name is the first to change. that and the fact that originally Winamp.com and Shoutcast.con was scheduled to go dark on December 20 2013 but remained up after the date and the host changes is a smoking gun. if this were a murder trial I'm sure any jewelry would find them guilty of a buyout. like I said there is room for error in this assumption. but don't shoot the messenger here I do have some very good material that I have read that is not to be scoffed at. let's just say that the sources I've read from also No what the RIAA is up to the four most general public do. even without that being said a person who has basic understanding of a business model may agree.

Old 10th January 2014, 03:40   #137
voodoohippie

sorry for some of the weird writing such as not typing Jury I'm using a speech to text program.

Old 10th January 2014, 11:18   #138
Jkey
Forum King

voodoohippie Shoutcast.com was never "scheduled to go dark on December 20 2013" Nobody, from AOL (or outside contractors) said anything of the sort.
It was just assumed to be the case by us here and media reports.

The name servers are still the same:-
HTML Code:
Retrieving DNS records for shoutcast.com...
DNS servers
dns-02.ns.aol.com 
dns-01.ns.aol.com 
dns-06.ns.aol.com
dns-07.ns.aol.com

Old 10th January 2014, 13:38   #139
lazvon

So... what if the DNS servers HAD changed to something else? What would that mean?!?!

It would mean that different DNS servers now hosted the zone files for that domain. That is what that would mean.

Now... what if the REGISTRY information at the top of your whois output had changed... this part:

Registrant Name: AOL Inc.
Registrant Organization: AOL Inc.
Registrant Street: 22000 AOL Way
Registrant City: Dulles
Registrant State/Province: VA
Registrant Postal Code: 20166

Woot!!! Now you know something. You know the domain ownership had changed and AOL was no longer ultimately in control of the domain name!

You still wouldn't know about the trademarks, the source code, the logos, any transferable contracts, any transferable customer information, and any other intellectual and real property. For public consumption to know about that kind of stuff... you'd be looking for an official announcement from both parties, likely in the form of a press release on a wire service(s)... or the BUYER proclaiming it and the SELLER not denying it at least.

If you had a right and needed to some way to verify the transfer, you'd want to see a bill of sale as well... though that would likely not be publicly circulated.

Anyway, what if DNS servers had changed to NS*.ULTRADNS.COM ... you wouldn't immediately assume Neustar suddenly owned Winamp. DNS servers are technical infrastructure of the Internet and they do not proclaim ownership... just that those servers are hosting the DNS zone files for that moment in time.

Anyway... I don't deny that there is evidence pointing to something happening with Radionomy... Just that it does NOT PROVE anything as FACT beyond the DNS zones are being hosted by different servers.
Old 10th January 2014, 16:40   #140
Bryon Stout

If the nameservers changed to ultradns then you know the dns changed and wouldnt have a clue to who was operating that dns since ultradns is a 3rd party.

BUT since it has changed to radionomys OWN DNS well thats a different story. Its not a 3rd party DNS.

The facts are this.

winamp.com (the website) is now radionomys. What else is included in that deal or package? Who knows, none of us do thats for sure.

shoutcast.com (the website and YP) has not changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazvon View Post
So... what if the DNS servers HAD changed to something else? What would that mean?!?!

It would mean that different DNS servers now hosted the zone files for that domain. That is what that would mean.

Now... what if the REGISTRY information at the top of your whois output had changed... this part:

Registrant Name: AOL Inc.
Registrant Organization: AOL Inc.
Registrant Street: 22000 AOL Way
Registrant City: Dulles
Registrant State/Province: VA
Registrant Postal Code: 20166

Woot!!! Now you know something. You know the domain ownership had changed and AOL was no longer ultimately in control of the domain name!

You still wouldn't know about the trademarks, the source code, the logos, any transferable contracts, any transferable customer information, and any other intellectual and real property. For public consumption to know about that kind of stuff... you'd be looking for an official announcement from both parties, likely in the form of a press release on a wire service(s)... or the BUYER proclaiming it and the SELLER not denying it at least.

If you had a right and needed to some way to verify the transfer, you'd want to see a bill of sale as well... though that would likely not be publicly circulated.

Anyway, what if DNS servers had changed to NS*.ULTRADNS.COM ... you wouldn't immediately assume Neustar suddenly owned Winamp. DNS servers are technical infrastructure of the Internet and they do not proclaim ownership... just that those servers are hosting the DNS zone files for that moment in time.

Anyway... I don't deny that there is evidence pointing to something happening with Radionomy... Just that it does NOT PROVE anything as FACT beyond the DNS zones are being hosted by different servers.
Old 10th January 2014, 19:08   #141
lazvon

Quote:
The facts are this.

winamp.com (the website) is now radionomys. What else is included in that deal or package? Who knows, none of us do thats for sure.

shoutcast.com (the website and YP) has not changed.
No, the hosting of DNS zone files does not equal website ownership.
Old 10th January 2014, 21:56   #142
aaronsnet

Send a message via AIM to aaronsnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmauguit View Post
I would say he isn't :-)
It appears that Radionomy's CTO Jef Mauguit (https://twitter.com/jfmauguit) has joined us on the forums! Welcome sir. I see that you have God-like powers here now. Would you care to provide us any update on the situation at hand? Or are all of the rumors and keeping us in suspense like gold. All of geek presses just can't seem to get their story straight.

I've noticed that our previous Winamp officials haven't posted in the past few weeks. Would you care to comment on this?

In addition, I will occasionally see a client connect to my SC servers identifying itself as an Icecast server which originates to Europe. When I reverse DNS, it comes out to be like tuner.radionomy.com (or something similar). This thing stays connected for hours. Could you tell me what exactly is happening? Are you all relaying my stream to other listeners?

Also, I would implore you to not try and change the core of what Winamp and SC (should this be acquired) have become. They represent small and medium sized broadcasters from around the world. The technology enables those that do not have a voice to finally have one...even those that are not technical! While Winamp has evolved over the years, it's core is still the same. This is why so many of us continue to use it over the years. Please do not try to change it into another 3rd party lookalike that doesn't stand out. We have enough bulky mp3 players that you can skin and take up to much memory out there. We don't need another lookalike that tries to take market share...we need to carve a large niche.

Finally, I hope that freedom of expression continues to be possible on these forums. Many of us have long been critics of AOL and yet our comments still stand for all of these years. I hope that you will continue to allow both praise and criticism on these forums. Please continue to let this community thrive and grow. Please keep the archives available. And please take our feedback seriously.

That is all.

the detour network - detour MUSIC, detour TALK, detour BLUES, SOF Radio

Purple Zebra Media Services-http://purplezebra.us
Supporting independent, licensed internet radio stations since 2001!
aaronsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 23:25   #143
lazvon

Well if he says anything before it is official... then perhaps it never becomes official... don't think anyone would want that as the alternative would be just shut it all down. Probably best to just wait for the official announcements.

And who knows who has been posting here the past few weeks... I would say if all the rumor and speculation is true though... Jef is good people from my experience.

Suspense isn't like gold... but watching the lack of understanding of how corporate transactions happen has been quite fun... as well as the complete misunderstanding that changing some DNS servers somehow equates to done deals... when all it really equates to is DNS servers changed.
Old 11th January 2014, 03:52   #144
Bryon Stout

hahaha yea radionomy is just lending a helping hand and letting winamp use their DNS.

Quote:
Well if he says anything before it is official... then perhaps it never becomes official... don't think anyone would want that as the alternative would be just shut it all down. Probably best to just wait for the official announcements.

And who knows who has been posting here the past few weeks... I would say if all the rumor and speculation is true though... Jef is good people from my experience.

Suspense isn't like gold... but watching the lack of understanding of how corporate transactions happen has been quite fun... as well as the complete misunderstanding that changing some DNS servers somehow equates to done deals... when all it really equates to is DNS servers changed.
Old 11th January 2014, 15:48   #145
dotme

Quote:

I would have to agree with this. There's a lot of cross-pollination between the two properties (Shoutcast and Winamp) and I would expect some press releases after the ink is dry, and not before.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 16:07   #146
Jkey
Forum King

Old 14th January 2014, 14:49   #147
Jay
Moderator Alumni

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...240077661.html

That should clear up any confusion. SHOUTcast is on it's way with Winamp.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 17:00   #148
lazvon

What was posted? It's gone now.
Old 14th January 2014, 17:26   #149
CJ_Man

Quote:
What was posted? It's gone now.
Interesting that the prnewswire.com post was taken down....

Here is another reference: http://tech.eu/features/298/radionom...shoutcast-aol/
CJ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 18:00   #150
lazvon

Looks like someone miscued a press release then. Guess, even when it seems official... it isn't official.
Old 14th January 2014, 18:25   #151
Bryon Stout

you guys do know anyone can make a press release about anything.

I can make up one now about Apple buying shoutcast.

But since AOL owns techcrunch I think this is good enough info.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/14/aol...audio-company/
Old 14th January 2014, 18:52   #152
lazvon

AOL may own them... but they are VERY independent.
Old 14th January 2014, 20:55   #153
Greg_E
Major Dude

Been away awhile, thought I would look in here to see if there was anything concrete... Looks like nothing yet.

Nice to see Tag posting.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 22:24   #154
Jay
Moderator Alumni

After talking to a few people, it is a done deal. I don't know how concrete you need it to be but I would say it is concrete.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 01:34   #155
lazvon

Not done, till it's done. If it was done, it would be announced and press releases wouldn't be pulled after they go out.
Old 15th January 2014, 11:58   #156
idobi

Send a message via AIM to idobi
According to TechCrunch, it's a done deal.

idobi Network - http://idobi.com/
idobi Radio - http://idobiradio.com/
idobi App now available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone (http://idobi.com/app/)
idobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 13:05   #157
lazvon

Quote:
Originally Posted by idobi View Post
According to TechCrunch, it's a done deal.

Tech Crunch is not the official source of has something closed or not.

They are however the most awesome and incredible tech rumor monger on the planet, and everyone should frequent their site continuously (and clicking on ads every once in a while would be great too).
Old 15th January 2014, 19:26   #158
Jkey
Forum King

I better start learning to fluently speak French, Dutch and German languages.

And yes lazvon, before you say it, I know, I know, the deal is not done yet

Old 15th January 2014, 19:29   #159
lazvon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkey View Post
And yes lazvon, before you say it, I know, I know, the deal is not done yet
Argh. If you only knew. *sigh* ... not that I know anything.
Old 16th January 2014, 15:18   #160
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Argh. If you only knew. *sigh* ... not that I know anything.
Spoken like an individual who's words are chained by an NDA.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions