Old 19th January 2003, 22:51   #1
wenmel

Send a message via Yahoo to wenmel
Cds not playing

I have WA3, Win 98...it works fine except that cds will not play...I've checked the configurations about 8,000 times and still no luck...Am I missing something?
Old 19th January 2003, 23:28   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
What "configurations" did you check??

CTRL+P to open Preferences window
System > Media
Make sure "Play audio CDs with Winamp" is checked.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 20th January 2003, 00:13   #3
wenmel

Thanks for your reply...Yes, I checked the Preferences etc and it is indicated as you suggested; and has been all along. Is it possible that some other application is over riding WA3? Windows Media Player having a tantrum, perhaps?
Old 20th January 2003, 00:22   #4
Reaper
Forum King

Are you trying to normally play them or trying to make Winamp3 the default player for CDs?

If you're trying to play them normally, press Ctrl+P-> go to Audio/CD Playback and make sure you have "Enable CD Audio Extraction" enabled.

To get Winamp as the default player, do as the steps Nunzio stated earlier.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Old 20th January 2003, 00:29   #5
wenmel

Nope, no luck....Would it do any good to re install WA3?
Old 20th January 2003, 00:33   #6
Reaper
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by wenmel
Nope, no luck....Would it do any good to re install WA3?
Never hurts to try.

Old 20th January 2003, 00:34   #7
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

OK.... WMP could be holding you back. We'll deal with that later if we have to. But before we consider reinstalling Winamp3 specifically the way I will suggest, and no other way, try this...

Question: is Autoplay enabled THROUGH your puter, and is Winamp3 set there as the default?

What Operating system do you have?

In Win 2000 steps 1 through 4 below toggles (enables/disables) AutoPlay. When Play is displayed in bold, AutoPlay is enabled. When Play is not displayed in bold, AutoPlay is disabled.

1.. Double-click My Computer.
2.. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the File Types tab.
3.. In Registered file types, click AudioCD, and then click Advanced.
4.. In Actions, click Play, and then click Set Default.

In WinXp..

1. Double-click My Computer
2. Right-click on the CD drive and select Properties
3. In the resulting Properties dialog box, click the Autoplay tab
4. In the dropdown, select "Music Files"
5. Under Actions > Select an action to perform, choose Winamp3
6. Say OK

If the above doesn't work THEN uninstall/reinstall WA3 in this manner... you must COMPLETELY uninstall Winamp3 before reinstalling it again. You can NOT reinstall over-the-top. You need a fresh install, using this procedure...

1. First, copy/save all your 3rd party skins (if any exist) in the Winamp3\Skins folder to a temp location
2. Completely uninstall Winamp3 via Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
3. Completely delete the Winamp3 folder and all folders within
4. Reinstall the latest public release of Winamp3
5. Download/install the official wa3update patch. Don't forget this step. The update contains the latest waveOut & DirectSound Output components, plus latest midi, mod, wav, ogg inputs that didn't make it to 3.0 setup due to the deadline and code freeze.
6. Move all your saved skins from the temp location back into the Winamp3\Skins folder
7. Start up Winamp3
Old 20th January 2003, 01:27   #8
wenmel

Ok, re install worked fine, thanks. The only remaining problem is the WA3 update...I keep getting an error message on installation
"Error Opening File For Writing"
C:\Program Files\Winamp3\Wacs\Output.wac

Try the Update later, or just let it ride?
Old 20th January 2003, 01:31   #9
Reaper
Forum King

Go to the C:\Program Files\Winamp3\Wacs\ folder and make sure Output.wac isn't set to Read Only. Then try reinstalling the update.

Old 20th January 2003, 01:44   #10
wenmel

I appreciate the help guys, but no joy yet. I've checked the wac folder, it is set up up the way you suggested. The patch still gives me the same error message.
Old 20th January 2003, 01:55   #11
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

No no no no...

What the above is telling us is that it cannot write to the file. You can NOT apply a patch while a program is running. CLOSE Winamp3 and then apply the patch. As I indicated in all my posts above, Winamp3 must be closed before applying the update patch. This will allow Output.wac to be written to, since it will not be in use at the time of the patch installation. Then reopen Winamp3 with the patch in place.

You need to install that update patch.

btw... playing CDs ok now? Your initial problem solved?
Old 20th January 2003, 02:02   #12
wenmel

Yes, I'm certain of the settings, everything in the Wac folder is set as you suggested- Read Only is NOT checked off, only Archive is checked. And yes, cds play fine now, thanks.
Old 20th January 2003, 02:04   #13
wenmel

Hold everything, guys! I just tried installing the patch again and it worked. The only thing I've done differently is to close all other apps that were running...
Old 20th January 2003, 02:11   #14
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Old 20th January 2003, 02:13   #15
wenmel

Thanks a lot guys
Old 21st January 2003, 04:38   #16
terzis1

I have read all of the threads I could find on this subject and still WA3 is not playing cds!!! I'm running W2000 pro, SP3 and Sound Blaster Live Vlaue sound card. Like so many others, Win Media Player works. So far I've tried:
Prferences:Media - play cds w/Winamp - checked
Preferences:Audio:cd playback - enable cd extration - checked
Preferences:Audioirect sound - output device - swithced to SB Live! & create buffer
Preferences:Audio:waveOut - output switched to SB Live
Reloading WA3 w/patch
Installed latest ASPI from adpatec
Installed in_CDReader.dll (could not find and in_cdda.dll file to disable as suggetsed in readme file!)

I notice that when I try to get WA3 to play a cd it does NOT spin up the cd player.

Any other ideas???
Old 21st January 2003, 04:59   #17
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

OK. Looks like you performed many of the procedures mentioned in this thread. You also said, "Reloading WA3 w/patch". That tells me that you simply shut WA3 down, installed the wa3update patch, but never attempted a complete uninstall/reinstall. So I'll assume that you haven't, and quote myself from my post above. This is the procedure that solved the problem for wenmel, and might also for you...
Quote:
1. First, copy/save all your 3rd party skins (if any exist) in the Winamp3\Skins folder to a temp location
2. Completely uninstall Winamp3 via Start > Programs > Add/Remove Programs
4. Reinstall the latest public release of Winamp3
5. Download/install the wa3update patch
6. Move all your saved skins from the temp location back into the Winamp3\Skins folder
7. Start up Winamp3
Also, since you mentioned that you are running W2000 pro, and that the CD does NOT spin up the CD player, are you certain that you have AutoPlay enabled? I quote again from my same post above...
Quote:
In Win 2000 steps 1 through 4 below toggles (enables/disables) AutoPlay. When Play is displayed in bold, AutoPlay is enabled. When Play is not displayed in bold, AutoPlay is disabled.

1.. Double-click My Computer.
2.. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the File Types tab.
3.. In Registered file types, click AudioCD, and then click Advanced.
4.. In Actions, click Play, and then click Set Default.
Had you checked that as well?
Old 21st January 2003, 06:14   #18
terzis1

In fact I did do a complete unistall and then re-install as you had described and I checked the registered file types as well. though there may be some other stuff in here that is interfering; there are 3 separate entries for AudioCD and one for Audio CD Playback and there does not seem to be anyway to delete these others.
Old 21st January 2003, 06:25   #19
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
3 separate entries for AudioCD and one for Audio CD Playback
Where? Where are these entries? This is not Winamp3 you are talking about, is it?

Oh wait.. you mean Win2k. Sounds like a system problem then. Hmmm.
Old 21st January 2003, 07:00   #20
terzis1

ONe was created by RealPlayer, one probably came from the Creative Player installation(s) - both of which have been removed. I wouldn't mind knowing how to remove those extras - I've disabled them as well as I could; ie selected advanced and then removed the action from the list.

I found one other switch which seems to have worked (until the next media software installation). under My Computer, select the CD-R device, right click on Properties. Goto Hardware tab, select the CD-r device again; Properties again. Goto Properties tab - I had to "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device." Somewhere between this and another copmete re-install, things started working.

Spoke too soon - just got a new error inserting a new cd - "The media converter "CD switcher converter" executed an illegal operationg. Restart of Winamp3 is recommended" which only leads to the same error occuring again and again.
Old 21st January 2003, 16:55   #21
robman74

I just wanted to say that I too am running Windows 2000 and cannot get winamp3 to playback cd's either. Winamp3 operates like it is playing back the cd but nothing is heard through the speakers. I tried to the basic cd player that comes with Windows to make sure it wasn't my cd player and it works fine. Is this a w2k winamp3 bug?

Thanks,
Robbie
Old 28th February 2003, 04:47   #22
fishingyak

(too) sensitive to drive type

I followed the instructions earlier in the thread, and Winamp still failed to play audio CDs in my drive. Its clock counted off the seconds and minutes of the tracks as if playing, but there was no sound output.

Finally, I tried the audio CD in my other drive, and it played just fine. However, this is the first time any software has had trouble with that first drive (LITE-ON LTR-12102C), so maybe a further patch is called for.

The drive that did work correctly with Winamp was a Toshiba DVD-ROM model SD-M1212. I'm running Windows 98 SE.
Old 14th March 2003, 05:15   #23
asOne

I found this thread, looking for a soloution to the problem of Audio Cd's not playing

I am running Win 2000 pro SP3
sbLive
Win Amp3

The same thing is happening as mentioned above, I can load the CD into a playlist but they won't play. The windows Cd player will play Audio CD's but it doesn't use the SBLive drivers hence only 2 speakers not 4.

I have tried everything mentioned above as well as having just done a clean install of windows, So any other suggestions would be appreciative.
Old 14th March 2003, 17:14   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

ok, I must've missed this thread somewhere along the line . . .

Please define "won't play"
Is it the same as it is in all the cases above, where it looks like it's playing, but you can't hear anything?

Have you installed the wa3update patch?

Have you tried checking/unchecking "Enable CD Audio Extraction" in
Winamp3 -> Prefs -> CD Playback ?

Have you tried switching between WaveOut and DirectSound Output in
Winamp3 -> Prefs -> Audio ?

Is the volume slider definitely up high enough in the main Winamp3 window?

If using DirectSound Output (which you should be), have you made sure you've got DirectX 8.1b or higher?

btw, wenmel, reaper . . .

as I'm sure you already know by now
('cos I see this this thread is a couple of months old)

This is the error you get when trying to install wa3update whilst Winamp3 is still running. Basically, the patch can't overwrite any files which are already in use. Winamp3 must be closed before installing the patch.
Old 14th March 2003, 17:35   #25
robman74

fixed

thanks djEgg... after installing directX 8.1b, cd's started playing fine. however, i'm still not able to get CDDB to work with it, or with winamp 2 for that matter.

robbie
Old 14th March 2003, 17:44   #26
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

robman74...

I'll quote your first post in this thread...
Quote:
I just wanted to say that I too am running Windows 2000 and cannot get winamp3 to playback cd's either. Winamp3 operates like it is playing back the cd but nothing is heard through the speakers. I tried to the basic cd player that comes with Windows to make sure it wasn't my cd player and it works fine. Is this a w2k winamp3 bug?

Thanks,
Robbie
Now, you never made mention of whether or not you actually installed with CDDB support or not.

So, when you installed Winamp3 did you UNCHECK "Support for CD audio with CDDB" ??

If so, then the only way to get that support now would be to completely uninstall/reinstall Winamp3 and make sure that the option is checked (see this screenshot)...

2. Completely uninstall Winamp3 via Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
4. Reinstall the latest public release of Winamp3, making sure that CDDB support is checked (again, see this screenshot)
5. Download/install the wa3update patch. Don't forget this step. The update contains the latest waveOut & DirectSound Output components, plus latest midi, mod, wav, ogg inputs that didn't make it to 3.0 setup due to the deadline and code freeze.
7. Start up Winamp3 with CDDB support

Now, if you DID install with CDDB support, then also make sure that your Preferences are set correctly...

Audio > CD Playback > Gracenote CDDB

Make sure that both "Enable audio CD recognition" and "Enable audio file recognition" are CHECKED.
Old 14th March 2003, 17:45   #27
robman74

new problem now

okay, now that winamp 3 is playing cd's, for some reason, when i close the program the cd keeps playing. that is kind of strange right? any fixes for this problem?

robbie
Old 14th March 2003, 17:56   #28
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Do you have an old CDROM by any chance? If so, it may be incompatible with CD audio extraction, which would also explain the lack of sound coming through your speakers when you first posted your problem.

Audio > CD Playback
UNcheck "Enable CD audio extraction"

Then close Winamp3 to allow the change to take effect, then reopen Winamp3
Old 14th March 2003, 18:14   #29
robman74

fixed again

okay, cddb is now working after the reinstall, i guess somehow it was unchecked the first time around. if i select to enable cd audio extraction, cd's won't play, so i have to leave it unchecked. is that why it won't stop the cd upon exit of winamp? my computer/cd player is probably about 1 and a half years old, so i guess that is considered an old cd player. i never had the problem with winamp 2 however.

thanks for all the help.

robbie
Old 14th March 2003, 18:21   #30
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

OK. Yeah. Probably an older CDROM. Just keep "Enable CD audio extraction" UNchecked is all.

Glad it's working now.
Old 9th December 2003, 04:01   #31
muzzy

Even though this is months later, I want to heartily thank all of you, especially tersiz1. The last fix tersiz1 mentioned above which worked for him, then didn't... it fixed my problem!
Old 9th December 2003, 04:27   #32
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Well. I'm glad you got your CD's playing with no problems in Winamp3, muzzy

BUT.... a LOT has happened in all these months. Before you posted, did you bother to read the Sticky thread at the very top of this forum that is entitled Winamp3 Is Dead, Upgrade To Winamp 5?

Anyway, Winamp3 is now effectively dead (although Wasabi development will continue) and will be removed from Winamp.com very soon. All Winamp3 forums (including this one) will be locked and archived for read-only purposes (legacy support). We will no longer actively support Winamp3, and in turn, you will no longer be able to receive support from us with the Winamp3 application.

I highly recommend that you do what was suggested in the Sticky thread I linked to above for you... uninstall Winamp3 then go ahead and download Winamp 5.0. When you download Winamp 5.0, go ahead and download the latest release candidate of Winamp 5.0 (until the final public release comes out, at which time you can upgrade). A current release candidate of Winamp 5.0 is linked to in this discussion thread.

If you prefer, you can instead install a later release candidate of Winamp 5.0 than the one I linked to above. It looks as if a later release candidate was "leaked" to the public and can be downloaded via the link in the first post in this thread > Winamp 5.0rc10

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Technical Support