Old 15th April 2006, 08:01   #1
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
Turntables

I've recently discovered the wonders of vinyl. I've owned a few records from Nine Inch Nails for quite some time, simply to add items to my collection. My parents also sold most of their collections in the past year, but I had asked them to save a few items that interested me.

For a few years now, my albums have sat in my closet begging to breathe. The shrink-wrap is still on them, with a few minor rips and tears from the occasional viewing. However in the past few weeks, I've really been thinking about opening them up and taking them out for a spin. Only one thing is stopping me: I have no turntable.

My dad has an old player that is missing the tonearm. My mom has an old phonograph given to her by her grandmother. However, neither of these work (not that I would use them if they did). So, I am in need of a turntable. The only electronics dealer near is Best Buy, which does not carry any in store. I've found a few places online, but I don't know shit about these things.

So, is there anyone around who can give me some recommendations? What should I look for? I don't need anything fancy, just something to play the records that can be hooked up to my stereo.

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2006, 08:23   #2
NJK
Frisian Spamfighting Mod

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
forumrules
WINAMP
SHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2006, 20:49   #3
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Wow. This looks nice and all, but are these really that expensive for a good one? As I said, I found a few online but don't really know what I'm looking for. Is there a great difference in sound quality between, say, $100 and $500? I've seen the turntables differ between belt and direct drivers, is it worth the extra cash for a casual listener?

Old 15th April 2006, 21:05   #4
webthing
Forum King

I grew up with vinyl. So when the k man got the worlds first USB turntable for converting your old vinyls directly to CD or MP3. I had to be there. With my rare 80's metal albums.

ion photoshow by webthing

ION iTTUSB
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2006, 21:22   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Spaceplay, that's not unlike my Technics deck, stobe timing light, counterbalanced arm , 'cept mine is all silver,probably the model before that one, dates from the early 90's, it gets little use these days sadly, but still once in a while it's good to blast out a slab of vinyl from time to time...
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 14:38   #6
NJK
Frisian Spamfighting Mod

@Jones

that is the improved version of the turntables i used during the early 80's working in the clubs

2 of those and a revox tapedeck, video and beamer and you had yourself a great dj set.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
forumrules
WINAMP
SHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 21:43   #7
Doggy Dog
Canis Sapiens
(Reviewer)

Send a message via ICQ to Doggy Dog
I have an old Thorens TD 160 Super (not sure which MK), and I'm damn proud of it. I have a big collection of LP's (some were my dad's some my mom's) too... some great albums.
Doggy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 22:42   #8
ujay
Forum King

First thing to check is if your stereo has a 'phono' input.

Turntables I've seen lately come in two type, those with internal RIAA pre-amps and those without.

The first type will plug straight into the line in on your stereo or computer.
The second type will need to be pluged into your stereo or computer's 'phono' inputs. Not all stereos and very few computers will have a 'phono' input, in which case you'll need an external pre-amp as well.

After that, buy the best you can afford, or that best matches the standard of the rest of your system.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 23:34   #9
dlichterman
Forum King

I bought my first record a few months ago...."God bless Tiny Tim"....cause it was never released on CD except in Japan...so basically im possible to get. I found the record on ebay and got it shipped for 6.50. Ebay is teh awesome.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 06:17   #10
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
First thing to check is if your stereo has a 'phono' input.
Not all stereos and very few computers will have a 'phono' input, in which case you'll need an external pre-amp as well.

After that, buy the best you can afford, or that best matches the standard of the rest of your system.
Thanks for the input!

Indeed, my stereo does not have a 'phono' input. After some additional advice from my dad, I finally made a decision. Along with a pre-amp, I settled upon a Technics SL-BD20D. I only have 16 LPs, and so anything over $200 seemed to be a great waste. This won't be used all too often, once a month, perhaps, after the initial shock and first few listens have worn off.

He had recommended that I purchase a direct-drive 'table. But after reading multiple reviews and discussions, I figured that for just casual and occasional listeners, a belt-driven player is just fine. As I said, I don't need all the bells and whisles. I just wanted to be able to put on a record, from time to time, and kick back and listen.

Again, thanks for all the advice, guys! It should be here in "2 to 3 business days", so I'll let you all know how it sounds!

Old 17th April 2006, 16:37   #11
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Excellent choice for what you need it for denkensiefursich!
The SL-BD20D is the newer version of what I use, which is a Technics SL-B250.
I bought mine new in 1981 or 1982 and it's still going strong.
That tells you how good Technics turntables are.
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2006, 00:23   #12
eheiney
und keine Eier!

ZOMG!!!

It showed up yesterday, but not until 4:30. I had to work from 5 to midnight. Today, I had to work from 9 to 6. Anyway, I just got it hooked up. WOW!! Vinyl fucking rocks, I never imagined it would sound this good.

Right now, per my mom's request, we're listening to one of her old records: Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band's Stranger In Town. Now she said bought it in the first week it came out, and, according to her, it sounds just as good as it did the very first time. I'd have to say that it sounds pretty damn good, considering there's roughly 27 years of wear on it. I'm lucky to get a CD to last more than 5 years.

The only thing that puzzles me, is why it's so much quieter than my other devices. I have to turn the volume on my receiver 7 additional ticks to get it to sound at normal levels that I would listen to. Any thoughts about this? I have the turntable plugged into the pre-amp, which then goes into the CD inputs on my receiver, as I don't have a phono plugin.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys. I'll be rocking out with this bitch until dawn!

Old 21st April 2006, 01:58   #13
ujay
Forum King

The output level of the cartridge is very small compared to something like a CD player, just a few millivolts compared to several hundred millivolts, which is why you need the pre-amp stage.
How loud the final result is depends pretty much on whether the output level of your cartridge is towards the higher or lower end of average (whatever 'average' might be ).

You should only worry if turning the volume up introduces a lot of extra background noise or hum into the system, in which case check the earthing wire is in place. Pure analogue devices(turntables, mics etc.) are always a bit noisier than digital devices at the best of times.

Glad you're enjoying it, vinyl always has an extra dimension, and as you say, they can become a part of your life for many, many years. I've still got stuff from almost 50 years ago, nearest thing I have to a diary really.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2006, 10:18   #14
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
Glad you're enjoying it, vinyl always has an extra dimension, and as you say, they can become a part of your life for many, many years. I've still got stuff from almost 50 years ago, nearest thing I have to a diary really.
Same here, I let music do the job of a good diary. It's perfect really, requires no effort (at all) and can't be compromised.

I'm avoiding vinyl, it'd expose the inadeqausies of the MP3 and destroy my cosy little existence. Vinyl's that good, you can tell the difference between that and a CD rip (even at 128kb). It's easy to see why so many labels are still vinyl mad.

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
Cylob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2006, 13:03   #15
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Maybe you should use alt-preset standard instead of 128kbps.

I have a few things on vinyl and cd and I must say [dramatic pause] some of it sounds almost the same but in most cases the cds sound a lot better.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2006, 17:19   #16
Mattress
Forum King

I got an old turntable from my Aunt and I bought an old reciever with a phono input from GoodWill for 30 bucks, works great. I also have a nice old Benjamin Miracord that looks kinda like this that I bought from a co-worker for 30 bucks. I got a bunch of old records from my aunt, I especially enjoy the pink floyd, doors, ravi shankar, and BOC (not Boards of Canada, though that would have been cool). I have it set up in the hookah room where Ravi is the all time fav.

Most of my records give me pops but it's all part of the charm, and it works well in the hookah room, which is a really nice escape. No TV, no Computer, lounge around, listen to ravi, smoke some shisha, have some good conversation.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2006, 18:09   #17
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Sounds nice, if you have the vision. I turned all my picture discs & coloured vinyl into wall clocks.

Years ago...

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
Cylob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama