Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Old 8th May 2010, 10:59   #1
scotts

a big problem with broadcasts starting with previous broadcast ending fragment

Several people use my stream to shoutcast on Second Life. So lately when I start some kind of show for them or for myself, it becomes embarrassing when people are waiting for show to start and it plays 10-30 seconds from a previous broadcast, from a different artist, it makes absolutely no sense to the listeners and confuses them immediately.

Why is this happening ? Why does the ending from some previous show play even a week after the broadcast it was from ?
scotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 11:48   #2
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Send a message via Skype™ to Brutish Sailor
1 week? could you proofread that JUST TO make sure thats right?
Brutish Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 17:47   #3
scotts

1 week is exactly how long it was. It was the same open mic night on Saturday night. The first week the Dewberries played and I didn't use the shoutcast til the following Saturday when I played at the same open mic and my set was started by the Dewberries saying goodbye for about 20 seconds from the end of the previous week's open mic.
Old 8th May 2010, 21:26   #4
scotts

The ending was heard the original night it was broadcast, then it apparently cached and played again the next time I shoutcasted. What I want to know is how do i prevent this from happening, surely I'm not the only one who has had this problem with Winamp.
Old 8th May 2010, 21:48   #5
dotme

Shoutcast has a built in buffer. They're hearing the previous broadcast because that's what's in the buffer. Solutions include intro file/backup file, or a simple restart of the shout cast server between broadcasts (assuming you have blackout times when you can reboot because no listeners are connected)
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 04:59   #6
scotts

Mine was blacked out the whole time between the 2 saturday shoutcasts. What do you mean by intro file/backup file ? Even if I play a file to start out, it will still play the buffered thing, won't it ?
Old 9th May 2010, 14:45   #7
nradisch

scotts,

The data from the first broadcaster remains in the buffer. It is never flushed out unless the server is restarted. You can flush it "manually" by broadcasting a minute of silence between the two broadcasters. Just make sure you use the same codec/samplerate/bitrate configuration that the second broadcaster will use when you send the minute of silence.

--Neil
nradisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 19:36   #8
scotts

thanks
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support