Old 8th August 2010, 02:14   #1
Djamu

m4a / mp4 genre tag bug

Winamp pro v5.581

corrupts m4a/mp4 genre tag on edit
this behavior isn't always reproducible > I spend almost a whole day dissecting cases and for some reason it only happens in about 70% of the files ( utf8 related ? )

source : > any he-aac file trans-coded with neroaacenc and tagged with neroaactag

steps to reproduce:

1.trans-code source with neroaacenc > tag with neroaactag ( copied tag from source ).
2.edit genre tag with winamp.

genre tag becomes unreadable for neroaactag > produces genre (0) (most of the time )
genre tag becomes unreadable for mp3info2 > produces genre:unknown (159) or (156)
complete tag becomes unreadable for mp3tag ( http://www.mp3tag.de ) ( in 30% of the cases ) .....

winamp reads genre just fine.

when resetting genre tag in neroaactag, all aforementioned programs ( neroaactag / mp3tag / winamp / mp3info2 ) read the complete tag just fine.

Also winamp doesn't properly remove the comment tag ( comment tag is still available on both mp3tag / neroaactag )

as the 3 aforementioned programs ( mp3tag / neroaactag / mp3info2 ) have a completely different codebase this must be a winamp bug ( but doesn't exclude exclude possible bugs in the other programs > most notably a possible improper formatted tag by neroaactag )

currently I have a lot of corrupted m4a files, any suggestion / link to a batch tagger that is able to fix those files is welcome ( or a program that is able to completely remove all tags, I prefer a linux cli )

thx
Djamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
m4a mp4 corrupt tag