Old 16th March 2009, 23:08   #1
alexius420

Sound wave viewer like a DJ program?

I have looked all over with no luck, Is there a soundwave view of some sort that would allow you to view the whole songs soundwave while the track is playing. Sort of like pcdj vj or any of thoose other type dj programs.

It would be so nice to be able to see when the song starts its fade out so i can start the next track. Its just handy being able to see the whole song in a waveform.

Any one with an idea????

Help !
alexius420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 01:24   #2
alexius420

So no comments on this
alexius420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 04:47   #3
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Audacity will show you the waveform, but probably isn't practical as a DJ player. Isn't there crossfade options in winamp? not as fancy as you want, but.

Other than that sorry, I have no idea.
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 08:02   #4
pooja86
Banned

HI
friends
I have looked all over with no luck, Is there a soundwave view of some sort that would allow you to view the whole songs soundwave while the track is playing.

[edit > moderator] Spam crap removed and...

ISSUED
pooja86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 10:56   #5
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

You looked so hard you even opened up a can of spam to check in there!
So yeah, have fun getting banned and stuff.
Old 2nd April 2009, 05:22   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
this is a great idea...

i am surprised there is no "soundwave visualization" plugin.

this was as close as i could find:

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/49179

but even better would be a soundwave editor, so winamp could open the file, and allow you to trim silence, and do some other editing tasks.

one thing i'd love to see in a mainstream mp3 app is the ability to set EOM tags... these are common in radio station automation apps. what they do is alert the software as to when to start the next cut in Q.

so, u have a song playing, its 3 minutes and ten seconds long. you open it in the soundwave viewer, listen to it, and click into the soundwave at the point you want the next cut to start, say 3 minutes 4 seconds into it. the next cut starts, AND the final 6 seconds of the first cut continues to play until its over.

it works great. you can also edit the file itself to work in a fade from the eom point on, or simply have the fade implemented on the fly during playback.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:38   #7
homes32

you do realize that in order to edit the file it would have to be decoded to wav, edited and then recoded back into mp3/whatever, and that the whole process is lossey????

as far as the idea of some shitty editor built in? no thanks. I'll stick with Adobe Audition or Audicity.

homes32
homes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:37   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

an mp3 is already lossy, but i am not sure that an editor couldn't natively edit in mp3, meaning i'm not sure it would have to go to wav. not saying you're wrong, i know audacity does that, but i don't see why you couldn't edit a mp3 natively.

having said that, if you're right, i wouldn't want that, HOWEVER i still would want the visualization of it and the ability to set an EOM in a tag, which would NOT require conversions or changes to the audio data in anyway.

--
Old 2nd April 2009, 21:42   #9
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSinatra
an mp3 is already lossy, but i am not sure that an editor couldn't natively edit in mp3, meaning i'm not sure it would have to go to wav. not saying you're wrong, i know audacity does that, but i don't see why you couldn't edit a mp3 natively.
I am. An mp3 is basically the waveform compressed in a lossy manner, and in order to manipulate that waveform and have it work as an mp3 afterward you have to decompress it and then re-compress*, which introduces another level of loss. Now, it's entirely possible that the loss is negligible, esp if you re-compressed to a higher bitrate, but even so the process puts off most people.

*The reason is that compression involves the whole waveform, so if you edit the waveform the whole thing needs to be re-compressed, not just the bit you changed.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:20   #10
homes32

couldn't have said it better Pual!

homes32
homes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 13:02   #11
mookee

so what now?!

hello

now, so we can say that the editor is out of reach, and mr sinantras link only leads to whitecap, what about the dj usable wave visualisation in winamp. just got the idea myself yesterday and couldnt find anything propper for winamp.
is there any progress or what has been found till now please. ?

lets pick this great idea up again please.. it would mean winamp djing ability with 2 instances and cuepointing without necessary prehearing (couse u see the good point of entrance on the visualed wave..)

:))

ps: am a programming egg ;(
mookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 10:43   #12
mookee

and by the way, if wavelab and co. can do the trick of creating a waveform quickly, why should it be a problem for winamp or the maschine just to see the waveform of a choosen track and further to choose some point of the track in it to begin at . its basically the same as " start track from 1m34sec" and thats something winamp allready got. so why not adding a simple waveform to that feature. i dont see any connection to loosy codec whatever. we dont want to change the waveform, we just want to see it and choose a point in it!

hope this goes on please
Old 25th October 2012, 11:27   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

in response to earlier posts:

i have seen utilities that trim silence out of the end or lead of an mp3, presumably without going to wav first. that would really be all the "editing" i'd want winamp to do, since anything else would entail a decompress to wav, re-encode to mp3 stage, and that should be avoided.

however, as i said earlier, making a visual waveform and setting a tag field for EOM would NOT require any such transcoding, only the ability in the app to see the waveform, set an EOM and save it as a field in the tag, and have the app know what to do with it if it found such a field on playback. a representation of the currently selected songs waveform could be its own tab in winamp, and it could even concurrently have a spectrum analyzer. click into the waveform, sets the EOM, and writes the tag.

(btw, the visualization could be done on the fly, or saved as its own image file once done the first time. the choice should be the users)

--
Old 25th October 2012, 14:36   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Those that I've seen that present a waveform for the entire song in a window are too compressed to be useful for setting EOM markers, even if the window is as wide as the monitor.

Those that show a portion of the song and scroll as the song plays are only slightly more useful since the time slice of the portion is fairly short. You still need a wide window and need to preview the song a few times to get the markers set exactly right. Even so, a plug-in that offered these DJ/radio station app type features would be a good addition for Winamp.

Winamp's current crossfade feature only works with the official DirectSound output plug-in. All other crossfade plug-ins I've been able to find introduce undesirable artifacts, except for 1 (SqrSoft Advanced Crossfader) but it is an output plug-in (that does not work well when stacked with other output plug-ins) which limits the output audio processing choices.

An alternative to an EOM marker plug-in would be a crossfader that worked on the input side of things. ThinkTink's X-Fade plug-in is a good start in that direction, but it is for Shoutcasters that use a null output plug-in.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 15:02   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Those that I've seen that present a waveform for the entire song in a window are too compressed to be useful for setting EOM markers, even if the window is as wide as the monitor.
thats nonsense. have you ever actually used anything to set an EOM? i have set literally THOUSANDS and thousands of EOMs and you don't need a big monitor or a horizontal scroll bar.

you can hear my work when automation plays classic rock on my station, (old link below).

--
Old 25th October 2012, 16:32   #16
mookee

eom?
Old 25th October 2012, 16:38   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookee View Post
eom?
http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...62&postcount=6

--
Old 25th October 2012, 20:47   #18
mookee

ok.. ) hope this isnt restricted to mp3...cant imagine. But audacity`s native support comes to my mind too.. hmm

a tough nut
Old 26th October 2012, 15:05   #19
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
have you ever actually used anything to set an EOM? i have set literally THOUSANDS and thousands of EOMs and you don't need a big monitor or a horizontal scroll bar.
I have, that's why I made the comments. I certainly don't have your experience (or apps) which probably accounts for my difficulty.

Anyway, I still think an EOM plug-in for WA is a good idea.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 01:18   #20
stevewest

Me too

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone found a waveform viewer?
stevewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 16:24   #21
mookee

Good point!!)
Old 1st July 2013, 10:19   #22
ritchiemc

The old Syntrillium Cool Edit would be fine for your needs (freeware) . It works with MP3.
ritchiemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist