Old 29th March 2011, 21:21   #1
erling1000

Wish: more flex in panes

I'm really happy with Winamp - it's the coolest thing - and the panes are fine to... using Big Bento skin on 5.61

Suggestion to improve the panes anyway:

I'd like to have the option to show more stuff in just one pane.

I find the "many album arts" in big size a very usefull and beautyful way to browse albums, but all the info I can get along with the big Album Arts is title. I would like to be able to choose any info and as much as I need combined with big album art. So the big album art would be in rows of 8 or so (using lyrik 1.3.1 plugin on the side of winamp too) and beneath every album art I personally would like to be able to view album artist, title, year, rating and maybe genre. Of course it should be a choice to make not forcing other people to have it my way Then if I would search things then I'd click the tabs above that would be placed like in other views and maybe: sortable in more colums ... being able to sort by album artist, then year. That would be the easiest way for my guests (and family) at parties and other times to browse.

Would that be an option?

Need any pictures?

greetings
erling1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 22:09   #2
erling1000

Here's a picture of my current UI

If I could select freely what to view in which pane I'd only use one pane as described above... a bit like the nice picture on winamps own homepage with the many album arts in rows of 5 on top of each other - only a choice of info below each one and tabs to choose sortings above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp.png
Views:	266
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	48665  
erling1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 08:42   #3
Crashguard303

Nice!

Supporting more tags in panes and/or their columns is a good idea!
A "track rating"-pane or -column would be an useful extension.
"playcount", too?

The sum of all energies is zero.
Crashguard303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 11:20   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@Crashguard303 - are you aware you can already customise what you see in the columns? Right click on the column header and use Customise Columns from the menu
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 21:21   #5
Crashguard303

answer

@Batter Pudding:
Yes, I'm aware of the column-header-right-click-maneuver
Works fine with the lower pane ('tracks'): there are many extra-columns to choose.
But the upper panes (e.g. 'Album') don't offer this many columns (their variety depends on the pane-type itself).

Or, in erling1000's words:
Quote:
I find the "many album arts" in big size a very usefull and beautyful way to browse albums, but all the info I can get along with the big Album Arts is title. I would like to be able to choose any info and as much as I need combined with big album art.

Last edited by Crashguard303; 17th June 2013 at 21:41. Reason: more precise
Old 17th June 2013, 21:33   #6
DrO

the upper panes don't offer it since they're specific to how they are setup (as you've effectively noted). this is a critical way in which the library views are designed and sure there are times where it might be good to have a few more options, but internally that basically gets close to having to re-write a large part of the library for something which probably is niche).

as for the album art, the sizes dictate what has been picked to show and relates to us only caching specific sizes of the artwork which then limits how much vertical space there is per item.

sure it could all be made customiseable and then you can move everything around as wanted, but from a coding and management point, it's a hell of a lot of work for very little return.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 22:12   #7
Crashguard303

@DrO:
I see, this is understandable (especially the problems when combining pictures & text).
Collecting existing data in another way is one thing,
but adapting the GUI to these changes is a hard work sometimes.

Had a similar prob with this matter some weeks ago,
one piece different, and everything got messed up

Old 18th June 2013, 19:05   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
two small suggestions:

regarding album art sizes, a user should, imo, be allowed to set a custom pixel size. say, 325 pixels. this then becomes the ONE custom size the user is allowed, and ergo only one custom size variable needs to be created/cached. right now winamp allows for several preset sizes, so all I am suggesting is adding one more to that, which I call the custom user set size. if the user changes the custom size, the existing cache for it is deleted and rebuilt to accommodate. that shouldn't be too hard to implement, (for those who know how to code, which I def do not ;)

regarding listing albums [art icons], they are always in alphabetical order, set by either the artist or albumartist tags, then the album tags. a sort method that is SORELY needed is:

Artist > YEAR > Album

I don't know how much work would need to go into that, but it would seem like something obvious to offer, and perhaps even use by default. when I browse my whole collection, which I frequently do, I want to see Beatles albums in year released order, not alphabetical order. and really, the sort is only Artist > Year, as the final Album part only matters for when two albums need ordered from the same year, so at that point it just goes alphabetical again.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 22:34   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

ps. the art should retain aspect ratio, so the user need only give one pixel amount. this custom amount could be filled-in, in prefs and come with a default amount set by the devs.

--
Old 19th June 2013, 18:27   #10
Crashguard303

workaround / tip

@MrSinatra:
Here is a workaround for this, but it isn't really nice, as it breaks a database-rule (1st normal form: atomicity):
In the album name tag, insert the year before the album's name.

example:
turn the album-tag "Please Please Me"
to
"1963 - Please Please Me"

You can do this relatively quickly by mass-tag-setting:
In media track view (lower pane), mark all tracks of one album, then press CTRL-e and "amend" album name by inserting year first.

@erling1000:
I have seen your screenshot.
Nice collection; alternative & electronic
If you like Beatles and Glam Rock, how about IAMX?

Last edited by Crashguard303; 19th June 2013 at 18:53. Reason: +tip
Old 19th June 2013, 20:10   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

yeah, certainly a workaround, but not one I would use, as it otherwise breaks the exp.

a proper music manager should handle this (basic req) properly, as opposed to the user improperly abusing tag, imo.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist