Old 11th June 2012, 13:04   #1
NitrofishRadio

websys.aol.com

What are these connections to my Shoutcast server from websys.aol.com for?

scdp-d01.websys.aol.com
scdp-d02.websys.aol.com

scdp-m01.websys.aol.com
scdp-m02.websys.aol.com
scdp-m03.websys.aol.com

Thanks...
NitrofishRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 13:25   #2
DrO

they're the YP servers.

most likely you're seeing connections from them when getting the in-stream metadata for people using the site player (not an ideal setup but this is an issue left over from how things were setup to allow the site player to work with the v1 DNAS without the need for local flash policy servers, etc).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 19:58   #3
NitrofishRadio

Ok, so then they are collecting data for Time Warner Music? I could understand Winamp servers, but Time Warner and AOL?
Old 11th June 2012, 20:11   #4
DrO

when some one uses the flash player provided on shoutcast.com to play a stream, due to how the flash player works it is not able to get the in-stream metadata. to get around that a periodic connection is made to connect to the stream, grab up to a few seconds of stream data and then process that to get the in-stream title update. then that is returned to the flash player and it then updates the song title shown.

there is _no_ storing of that data (even though it should be to cut down on repeat querying of the stream with large client numbers). it is just a way to get the stream titles as mentioned and should match up with a 'SHOUTcast Metadata Puller' user agent on the connections being made.

if that is not what you're seeing then you're going to have to give me some more details to be able to answer your concerns.

-daz
Old 11th June 2012, 20:52   #5
NitrofishRadio

Thanks for the info... That is what I am seeing and I am just curious what kind of reporting is being done for the RIAA, etc. Just seems strange to me to see AOL servers involved instead of local Winamp servers. Thanks for a great product!
Old 11th June 2012, 21:12   #6
DrO

the onus on reporting of things for licensing, etc is placed on the stream provider. the only thing which is provided as a form of reporting is http://yp.shoutcast.com/ttsl.html and that only applies to generally the top proportion of listed stations but i don't think it provides all of what is needed for license reporting anyway (is just one of those pages which has been around for years).

Winamp / SHOUTcast / Nullsoft / Aol are the same thing and have been so since 1999 so i'm not quite following the "Just seems strange to me to see AOL servers involved instead of local Winamp servers." comment.

-daz
Old 12th June 2012, 03:30   #7
NitrofishRadio

I see... That is something I was unaware of... You learn something new every day. Please excuse my ignorance.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions