Old 18th September 2009, 16:38   #1
AlliumPorrum

"Always Resample 44.1KHz"??

I just installed ASIO4ALL and asio plugin for winamp, and it seems to work just great. In the settings there is this choice for "Always Resample 44.1KHz", but it is not explained anywhere that what is its purpose?? So, can anyone give a hint; should it be selected or not for the best sound quality?

Another small issue is that every now and then there is a small cut or pause on the sound. It happens quite randomly, but something like once in a song. Any ideas for getting rid of this annoying issue?
AlliumPorrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 17:11   #2
fc*uk

Most things are recorded and played back at 44.1 kHz. It is kinda the standard for stereo audio.

Granted other things can sample at different rates, but some players will have issue dealing with it.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 17:44   #3
AlliumPorrum

Sorry, I did not make it quite right at first time, actually it says:

"Always Resample 44.1KHz <-> 48KHz"

So it kind of sounds that if I select it, it will ALWAYS do some resampling, and usually it is not good for sound. Or what..?
Old 18th September 2009, 21:55   #4
fc*uk

I would guess that is meaning always resample to 44.1 kHz if the source is 48 kHz.

Yes, resampling is generally not good for sound, you are correct on that. The downside is a lot of software wile not support a sample rate of 48 kHz as far as I am aware.

Your cuts/pauses in the sound may be due to how the file was ripped or some burp that happened during the download.

In the end, it is a trade off, it really depends what you are doing with it.
Old 19th September 2009, 01:43   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

Right. Chances are your MP3 player will not play 48000 hz sampled MP3 tracks.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 09:23   #6
AlliumPorrum

"I would guess that is meaning always resample to 44.1 kHz if the source is 48 kHz". What do you mean with this? What "source"?

I'm playing FLAC's that are ripped from my CD's, and my PC (with winamp) is connected to USB DAC.
Old 19th September 2009, 14:52   #7
fc*uk

Your USB DAC can probably send out a sample rate of 48 kHz. All audio CD's are sampled at 44.1 kHz.

Most professional audio equipment samples at 48 kHz, I know all my DJ gear does. I also downsample to 44.1 kHz for all the sets I record, while sending a 48 kHz signal to the floor...
Old 19th September 2009, 17:55   #8
AlliumPorrum

"Your USB DAC can probably send out a sample rate of 48 kHz. All audio CD's are sampled at 44.1 kHz."

Now I really got confused ;=) I would think that my DAC wont SEND any signal out, but RECEIVE it from PC...?

Anyway, it seems that my Xindac DAC-8 uses 96kHz upsampling. So, does this setting have effect or not?
Old 19th September 2009, 18:16   #9
fc*uk

Hey, I just woke up when I wrote that reply. Cut me some slack .

But ummmm, yes you are correct.

The setting to resample to 48 kHz should not have a massive effect. However, you should not really need to use it because the source (CDs you ripped from) is not of that quality.

However, from wikipedia:

Quote:
CDs are sampled at 44.1 kHz, but a Digital Audio Tape, or DAT is usually sampled at 48 kHz. How can material be converted from one sample rate to the other? First, note that 44.1 and 48 are in the ratio 147/160. Therefore to convert from 44.1 to 48, for example, the process is (conceptually):
[edit] Less technical explanation

If the original audio signal had been recorded at 7.056 MHz sampling rate, the process would be simple. Since 7.056 MHz is 160 x 44.1 kHz, and also 147 x 48 kHz, all we would need to do is take every 160th sample to get a 44.1 kHz sampling rate, and every 147th sample to get a 48 kHz sampling rate. Taking every Nth sample like this preserves the content provided the information (the audio signal) does not have any content above half the lowest sampling rate used (22.05 kHz) in this case.

The 96 kHz sample rate the Xindak uses is just another multiple of this ... the point being it all should not make that massive of a difference in the end ...
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions