Old 29th April 2000, 00:38   #1
DeeZee

How about introducing a .cd format in winamp? This format would basically be supporting whole CDs/albums with all tracks, lyrics, covershots and a wide range of other things, in one file! Like a zip file, but without the comprimation (makes it slower, but not noticably smaller) and it would be executable with winamp (and other players, as soon as they pick up on it).
Advantages: Ever downloaded a whole CD in mp3 format? You have to download the individual files, then make a playlist and still you don't get lyrivs or anything. This format would (if you choose to include them) lyrics, covers and all kinda good shit!
Also, it'd be easier to manage on HD.
One cd named Nullsoft - Justin does The Blues.cd is easier than the whole folder/playlist business.
Minus: One heck of a giant download One file woule be from 50-100 MB, and that sucks. Still, not all of us are trapped on modems, and you don't download all mp3s from the net, you encode yourself, copy from friends on LANs or CDs and so forth.
There would of course have to be programs which encoded directly to .cd, but after a few weeks most of the recognised encoding programs in the community would include this feature.
All in all, I consider this a brilliant idea
NB: I in no way intend this format to be used for illegal purposes, this format should, if ever made real, only be used for CDs purchased with real currency, or free music. (Which rules)
DeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2000, 07:16   #2
mad ass bajan

Send a message via ICQ to mad ass bajan
Never heard of .cd formats... but that's a kool idea... GET ON IT GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!
mad ass bajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2000, 14:59   #3
Trophy

Sounds like a hell of a good idea. I like it.... alot!
Old 29th April 2000, 15:03   #4
bluetooth

Have you ever hear of the lyrics3 plugin? It lets you tack lyrics (with time stamping) onto an MP3, and also associate image files. This way, so long as you have the MP3, you never loose your lyrics, and since the image files stay external, all you need to do is put them in a folder with all of the songs in the album to only take up space once. Sure this doesn't put it all in one big file, but through in a playlist with all the songs in album order and stick it all in its own folder, and you're set. BTW, you underestimate the power of .ZIP: sure they don't do much for MP3s (already compressed), but they are much faster to decompress than MP3, and wouldn't add much overhead for todays computers (winamp skins come in .zip formatted files)

~Adam
Old 30th April 2000, 19:05   #5
SlimSCSI

Send a message via ICQ to SlimSCSI
Yah, I had the same idea, They already have half the code writen, the zip skins thing unzips on the fly. They just need to modify it so it only unzips a small part (a coubpe K) to a buffer in ram and play the mp3 from that. I knoew that is a little processor hungry, but there is always the option to not use it (or use winzip to extract the entire cd).
SlimSCSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2000, 21:22   #6
DeeZee

Bluetooth, got an adress to that plugin? I tried a little searching, but that got me nowhere.
Also, forget about zip! I only used it as a possible way to put the cover, lyrics and all that into one file.
DeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2000, 02:36   #7
SlimSCSI

I disagree, (about forgetting about zip) Its the perfect solution to the problem. for many reasons. 1) you cant change the online music community over night to a whole new format, it will never catch on, 2) zip already exists, no new technologies to invent, and the source code is already in Winamp for the skins 3)if you want just one song, you can open the .cd with WinZip and extract just the one song. 4) All current rippers do not need to be changed, just zip the songs when its done and rename *.zip *.cd.

I could go on like this all night. If its the extra overhead on the zip your worried about, WinZip allows you to zip without using any compression. (although I do not know why you would like to keep the file larger. personally the more music I can fit onto a cd the happier I am) Winamp of course, would treat the .cd,.zip whatever you want to call it as a complete folder, so any other files you want to put in the .cd Winamp would just ignore, just like right clicking a folder and selecting play in Winamp.
Old 5th May 2000, 00:08   #8
SlimSCSI

HOLY SHIT THAT WORKS!!!!!

Just use WinZip to zip all the songs, CHOOSE NONE FOR COMPRESSION then rename from .zip to .mp3 (or .cd if you wish)

It plays as 1 huge song and you can open it in WinZip and extract the songs

If you put something other than mp3 in the zip (like a jpg) it tries to play it as audio and you just get static(i assume i havent tried it)

You can even give the zip an ID3 tag and everything still works fine! (at least it did on my test, your results may vary)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist