• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • watadoo
    JEDI MASTER
    • Dec 2003

Large Air Spill At Wind Farm.

BREAKING NEWS: Large Air Spill At Wind Farm. No Threats Reported. Some Claim To Enjoy The Breeze.
    "Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
  • Widdykats
    The Forum Slut
    • Jun 2002

^I ♥ love it!
    Ooh, Gabardine

Comment

• rockouthippie
      Banned
      • Jun 2004

There is no free ride on creating energy.

Dead birds, spoiled landscapes.
      Last edited by rockouthippie; 6 May 2010, 20:57.

Comment

• watadoo
        JEDI MASTER
        • Dec 2003

Brrrrt! wrong again. Wind power is one piece of a conservation/green energy puzzle future. It's happening now and will continue to grow regardless of conservative critics in the oil industry. The technology today is Xtimes better then it was 2 decades ago when the industry was in it's infancy and it will only get better. It's not going to replace oil and natural gas and coal completely, but it will help, just like you riding your bike for short trips and me riding to work and back every day does (good on you for conserving). To say it's a failure because it's not growing fast enough (in your uninformed opinion) in the face of the huge oil lobbiests opposing it at the federal and state level with giant chunks of cash to our senators and congressmen/women is ludicrous.

Comment

• rockouthippie
          Banned
          • Jun 2004

My reading leads me to think that most of the opposition to wind plants comes from people who have to look at the ugly, noisy wind plants, not conservatives. There is also some by torn conservationists who know it chops birds.

To say it's a failure because it's not growing fast enough (in your uninformed opinion) in the face of the huge oil lobbiests opposing it at the federal and state level with giant chunks of cash to our senators and congressmen/women is ludicrous.
          In 10 years, .1% of US energy output in 2000, to 1.8% in 2010. That's a long way from 20% by 2020, your California goal. In the meantime, early adopters like Denmark, Germany and Spain are backing away from their investments finding wind companies have a voracious appetite for taxpayer dollars, are unreliable, and have extremely high maintenance and construction costs.

I'm sure a ton of cash changed hands with Congress to fund the liberal pig in a poke that is wind power.

Comment

• watadoo
            JEDI MASTER
            • Dec 2003

perhaps the letters to the editors have a nimby cast, but the big buck lobbiests have been working to kill or at least keep down all forms of alt energy which might cut into oil company profits.

Comment

• watadoo
              JEDI MASTER
              • Dec 2003

I'll bet in 1904 lengthy articles were written by the buggy whip manufacturing interests to discredit the new automobiles as inefficient, costly and dangerous and an affront to human dignity.

Resistance to change is the basic root meaning of conservative.

Comment

• rockouthippie
                Banned
                • Jun 2004

but the big buck lobbiests have been working to kill or at least keep down all forms of alt energy which might cut into oil company profits.
                An example? Just one will do.

Comment

• watadoo
                  JEDI MASTER
                  • Dec 2003

Google "oil company campaign against wind power" and you'll get a handful.

you'll like this one as besides the Koch family oil company it mentions NIMBY's like the Kennedy's and John Kerry.

Green light for 130-turbine project in Nantucket Sound overcomes nearly a decade of resistance from the Kennedy clan and local environmental opposition

And here is a refutation of your claim that wind power has failed all across Europe. Spain get's 40% of it's power from the wind.

""We are beyond the boutique phase," said Frank Mastiaux, the head of E.On's green operations. "When this began in the 1970s it was a niche play, a nice tax break for German dentists and doctors. Now it is turning into an industrial business. Productivity has grown by 150 times in 25 years.""

Comment

• rockouthippie
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2004

Google "oil company campaign against wind power" and you'll get a handful.
                    of liberal drooling.

The article said "coy on profit margins". I can believe that.

The Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) predicts that wind power will provide almost 29pc of world electricity by 2030.
                    Yet the International Energy Agency says 3.5pc is more realistic
                    You seem to think that the Koch oil family opposed the wind farms because of oil, when I think it was just the same reason Kennedy opposed it..... NIMBY.

All of the oil companies except Exxon have green programs. Why is Exxon a holdout?

As reported by Russell Gold at Environmental Capital, ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson has made an incisive new argument against his company’s investing in government-dependent renewable energy. “If I wanted to kill [tax subsidies], the thing to do is for Exxon Mobil to go and invest heavily in them and then Congress would immediately cancel the tax […]

Because they had "been there, done that" back in the 1970's and are unwilling to risk politically dependent industry that would blow away with political will.

Comment

• watadoo
                      JEDI MASTER
                      • Dec 2003

"liberal drooling" Shoot, there we were having a civil conversation, you ask for evidence, receive it and you have to fall back into your ad homin clown act.

I tried, but I don't have time for your normal BS today. My liberal job requires my attention.

Comment

• rockouthippie
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2004

I did the search. I didn't find anything to suggest any oil company opposition to wind power. The Koch's were as close as you get to oil money, and like Kerry and Kennedy, I suspect the objection was a nimby despite the Greenpeace claim of a Koch oil conspiracy.

Objections come from nimby's, taxpayers and electricity consumers, followed by environmental groups like Sierra club and National Audobon society. There are some utility companies against the cost of backing up power for unreliable wind farms. They have to keep boilers on standby to make up so they can switch instantly to conventional fuel. That isn't cheap.

By your own search terms.
                        Last edited by rockouthippie; 7 May 2010, 01:14.

Comment

• ertmann
                          • May 2002

We do around 20% of production from Wind energy and is doing quite fine with that....

€3 billion worth of annual exports of wind turbines and 20.000 related jobs (not insubstantial in a country of 5 million people), all because we started early following the 70'ties oil crisis.

Now the national Electricity company Dong and the Californian company Better Place have made an initial €100 million investment in a national grid of charging stations, automated battery changing stations (for long drives outside the battery range) and other infrastructure.

The really neat part of that project is that it will use smart technology to ensure that most of the charging will take place when there is excess production from the windfarms, in essence acting as a huge battery for the national electricity grid. This will ensure that we won't export our excess wind production cheaply as we do now, removing the biggest Achilles heel of our wind energy system, pretty cool metinks.

Comment

• swingdjted
                            DRINK BEER NOW
                            (Forum King)
                            • Feb 2006

I live in the "Midwest" where it's windy almost all the time. We get enormous amounts of energy from wind farms (so much that most is exported), and no one seems to complain, despite this being a heavily conservative community. I have no idea where the noise claim comes from. I'm surrounded by these things and I can't hear them at all. On the other hand, the trains that come through carrying oil and corn for ethanol are quite loud. The wind blowing over ears is all I hear. Perhaps I should post a youtube of me standing next to one to demonstrate - all you'll hear is the sound of the wind passing over the microphone on the camera.

Whether or not they're an eyesore would be personal opinion, but I would argue that they look a hell of a lot better than oil rigs, and they make our community happy because they bring money and jobs in.

I will admit, the turbines aren't failsafe, or at least the old ones aren't.

Hornslet wind-turbine collapsehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornslet_wind-turbine_collapseAfter a malfunction from a worn brake mechanism, a service team fro...
                            Don't forget to live before you die.

Comment

• Fickle
                              Butterknife of Justice
                              (Forum King)
                              • Jan 2002

We had some wind turbines in Atlantic City and the ones that they installed are pretty potent when it comes to energy output.

The biggest concern was actually by environmentalists that thought they would kill all the birds (as if we couldn't use some mass-gull suicides). Of course they were wrong though: they weren't killing birds, they were killing bats, and by the hundreds. according to this article, they aren't sure why, but this one says it's because the low pressure around the blades is making their lungs explode.

It's interesting that the more we do to keep ourselves from destroying the environment and living creatures around us, the more we do just that.
                              Go read a book without pictures
                              pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote

Comment

Working...
                              X