Old 21st November 2013, 05:58   #1
DiTrap

Compatibility Mode Error

Running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. Just upgraded to 5.66 from 5.63 and getting the following error:

"Winamp appears to have been started with Windows program compatibility mode enabled."

But when I checked both the start menu shortcut and winamp.exe itself, compatibility mode isn't enabled at all. Did an uninstall > reinstall and restarted my computer, but the error persists.
DiTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:14   #2
DrO

in regedit, post what's set for the winamp.exe entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

though in winamp.ini, in the [Winamp] section, you can set allowcompat=1 and that'll disable the message.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:33   #3
onekopaka

I have the same issue with no compatibility settings set for Winamp, just with 5.66, didn't have the issue in 5.65, even reinstalling 5.65 over 5.66 stopped the message. (See this screenshot for my HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers, couldn't upload as attachment for some weird reason).

I'm running on Windows 8.1 (64-bit).

I've put the setting in winamp.ini, and that works beautifully.

I'm going to keep using Winamp for as long as it'll run. I really like the new matching menus in Bento.
onekopaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:51   #4
STiSev

Getting the same message. Same case. Mine doesn't even have a layers folder reg entry.

Mine is happening because I have set "run as administrator" in Windows 8.1 x64.
If I don't, enhancer nags me that it "Can't access registry information".

I'm stuck with a nag screen of some sort :<
STiSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:57   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi DrO,

I'm not seeing that message but checked my registry anyway and was surprised to see "DISABLEUSERCALLBACKEXCEPTION" in that key.

I don't recall ever getting a notification that this exception was applied. Judging from the entries before and after it, it has been there for quite awhile. Should I just leave things be or would it be ok to save and remove this entry? I assume Windows will put it back if it is really needed with the current (last ) Winamp version (running on Win 7 64-bit).

The site http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx provided the following info.

"On 64-bit version of Windows 8, a new exception was enabled to the message loop callback mechanism. While this exception was first introduced in Windows 7, it was not mandatory to handle this error. In Windows 8, apps that use message loops must handle this new exception. If they do not, they will crash. Apps designed for older Windows versions may not be aware of this exception, and hence may not handle this error (exception) properly.

PCA detects apps that fail due to this unhandled error, and automatically applies the DISABLEUSERCALLBACKEXCEPTION compatibility mode for the app. After the setting is applied at the end of the run, the user is notified as below. The app will get the mode on the next run, and will be able to avoid this error."

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 12:22   #6
STiSev

I just fixed my problem by
1) Removing "run as admin"
2) Download the one and only DrO's wrapper for Enhancer 017 from here:
http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/enhancer/

DrO, seriously, I just want to express my sincerest thanks for all your hard work. You have contributed so much to make Winamp the best music player I have ever used. Thank you ^ 100.
STiSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 14:37   #7
lorry_driver

Send a message via ICQ to lorry_driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiSev View Post
I just fixed my problem by
1) Removing "run as admin"
2) Download the one and only DrO's wrapper for Enhancer 017 from here:
http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/enhancer/

DrO, seriously, I just want to express my sincerest thanks for all your hard work. You have contributed so much to make Winamp the best music player I have ever used. Thank you ^ 100.
Winamp crashes when the wrapper is installed with a Winamp Plugin Stacker running (like MuchFX2). A shame because I run Enhancer and PaceMaker at the same time using MuchFX2 and have to use compatibility mode to fix the registry errors on Enhancer.
lorry_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:02   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi lorry_driver,

Maybe a different DSP plug-in stacker would work. Give "Multiple DSP Stacker" (link below) a try.

http://www.winamp.com/plugin/multipl...stacker/128742

Old 22nd November 2013, 15:04   #9
DrO

lorry_driver: it's because MuchFX2 doesn't support the v5.5+ DSP api - http://mlplugin.try.hu/ has the most current version of the DSP stacker Aminifu linked to.

clk4suport: the work around is in http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...31&postcount=2 (though would be good to know what's in that registry key for you as well).
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:24   #10
JohnDee

Same problem here...

I love Winamp and have used it for years. This is the first time I've had any trouble with it. I am getting the same "in compatibility mode" error when no such option is checked under "properties". I looked into the regedit you mentioned but can't seem to find the "winamp" section. Could you perhaps give me better directions to the winamp.ini you mentioned so I can try fixing it that way? I'm fair with computers but mucking about in the registry is not something I do often.

Thanks in advance.

Windows 8.1 (x64)
JohnDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:52   #11
DrO

%appdata%\Winamp\winamp.ini is the file you need to edit.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:09   #12
JohnDee

Thanks DrO. Found the file but there is no "allowcompat" entry any where. Do I add it? Like I said, I tend not to muck about in the registry and wouldn't want to screw something up.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:15   #13
DrO

there isn't an entry so you just have to manually edit it. though i'm more perplexed why the message is being triggered if you say there's no winamp entry in the registry location. i'll follow up on this with you in a pm shortly.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:24   #14
JohnDee

I added the entry and it worked fine. Now, if I can get the drag/drop issue fixed (posted in another thread). Thanks for your help DrO!
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:38   #15
DrO

with the drag and drop thing, you need to ensure you're dropping on a local library related node or a local library and not just anywhere on the library window (as it was changed to allow for drag and drop onto playlist items to work which were not previously).
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:43   #16
JohnDee

I'm dragging and dropping onto "Local Library: Audio". Perhaps I wasn't dead on with my drop. I'll try it again and see what happens.

EDIT: Tried target "Audio" and "Local library", neither worked.
Old 24th November 2013, 07:46   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi JohnDee,

Are you using a language pack? See thread below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=373852

Old 1st December 2013, 05:16   #18
DiTrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
in regedit, post what's set for the winamp.exe entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

though in winamp.ini, in the [Winamp] section, you can set allowcompat=1 and that'll disable the message.
sorry about the late response, but I edited winamp.ini and it started up just fine, so thank you kindly.

if you're curious about what regedit gave me, winamp.exe has a value of ELEVATECREATEPROCESS. strangely enough, last.fm has the same value although I haven't touched it in ages.
DiTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:40   #19
DrO

the "ELEVATECREATEPROCESS" value is weird as i've not come across it previously but seems like it dates back to the Vista era though with what i've read about it, i don't get why it's being applied to Winamp as there's no need for it (unless it's a left over appcompat setting as i know there was at least one shim in place for Winamp which is why it now typically crashes when trying to load modern skins under appcompat mode). though it looks like we'll be able to add it to the exclusion list in one more patch update that will be coming in a week or so.
Old 9th September 2015, 20:04   #20
rfolse

Winamp freezing in Windows 7

DrO... you seem to be the best in suggesting fixes for Winamp. I use Winamp as a wedding DJ. I've recently been experiencing an occasional freeze in the middle of song playing... which is quite embarrassing (and scary) at wedding events. I REALLY like Winamp, particularly for its quick search feature, but REALLY need it to work properly at all times. I am using Winamp ver 5.5 and Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. Question: What do you suppose makes it freeze occasionally? ... any other suggestions? Should I right click on winamp.exe and select compatibility mode of "Windows XP (SP2)" ... or compatibility mode for "Windows 7"... or what do you suggest? ... Oh, and I am also using DSP Host v.1.0 to run my BBE Maximer Plugin... Thanks!!!
rfolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 21:15   #21
DrO

all I can suggest is to use the current patched release from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....74929#download instead of using a version that could be as much as 8 years old (as of the time of this reply).
Old 21st September 2015, 03:57   #22
SireMarvin

Right click on Winamp's icon, choose properties, then on the compatibility tab untick the box that says "run Winamp in combatibilty mode"
SireMarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:47   #23
rfolse

Thanks, DrO... I will try the new patched version. The reason I had reverted to the 5.5 version is because, formerly, the 5.6 versions would not close properly in Windows 7. I downloaded the latest patched version, as you suggested. Should I select Windows XP (SP2) property mode to run this newer version to better prevent freezes during playback?... or let it run in Windows 7 mode? Thanks, Ron, Top DJ
Old 22nd September 2015, 20:21   #24
Aminifu
Forum King

Do not set any compatibility mode. The current patched version of Winamp will run fine as is, as long as you are not using any old non-compatible plug-ins.

Old 22nd September 2015, 20:38   #25
rfolse

Thanks, Aminfu... I'm using VST-Winamp-Bridge (2006) DSP file to run my BBE Maximizer plugin. Would that have been causing my occasional freezing during playback, or is it OK? Thanks, Ron, Top DJ

WOW! ... what a difference. The new 5.666.3516 build runs MUCH faster in Windows 7 than my old 5.5 version!!!! The program opens & closes faster, the search typing is faster, the song search is faster! ... Amazing!
Old 23rd September 2015, 04:47   #26
Aminifu
Forum King

I don't know about those plug-ins, at least one of them is kinda old. They may be okay (I don't remember when Windows 7 was released). Are they the latest versions?

Updates are supposed to be better, it's amazing that you are amazed.

Old 24th September 2015, 08:27   #27
rfolse

Thanks for the help, DrO & Aminifu!
Old 6th October 2015, 11:52   #28
chapiz

thx for the info guys.

Music is a higher revelation than any philosophy.

kdp
chapiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 03:41   #29
FreddieFloyd

Solved another way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post

There was no such key in the folder. But there was indeed one other file. I just deleted it, and it worked.
Thanks anyway
FreddieFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support