Old 12th May 2006, 00:19   #81
sekond

I just installed winamp 5.21 and I now have a emusic tray icon, did that install along with winamp?
sekond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 00:58   #82
JonnyMac

Yes. It is promotional offer included with the Full and Bundle packages of Winamp. It can be removed via the 'Add or Remove Programs' icon in the Control Panel.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 00:59   #83
sekond

i was just afraid that i accidently checked something, sad... more and more winamp is turning into an adware player
Old 12th May 2006, 01:27   #84
JonnyMac

I disagree with that sentiment. The members and moderators of Winamp Forums volunteer their time to provide tech support. If we thought that Winamp was turning into adware, many of us would not be here.

You are given the option not to install the Emusic offer in the install options. Also, you are give a uninstall icon in the 'Add & Remove Programs'.

Many adware programs are surreptitious in manner and can also be malicious. Many adware programs don't give you an option not install ad part. Many adware programs integrate the ad part in to the core of the program or "hide" in such a way that it very difficult to get rid of. That is not the case with Winamp.
Old 12th May 2006, 05:18   #85
sekond

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyMac
I disagree with that sentiment. The members and moderators of Winamp Forums volunteer their time to provide tech support. If we thought that Winamp was turning into adware, many of us would not be here.

You are given the option not to install the Emusic offer in the install options. Also, you are give a uninstall icon in the 'Add & Remove Programs'.

Many adware programs are surreptitious in manner and can also be malicious. Many adware programs don't give you an option not install ad part. Many adware programs integrate the ad part in to the core of the program or "hide" in such a way that it very difficult to get rid of. That is not the case with Winamp.
I do apologize for the incorrect assumption, completely my mistake, as durring installation I went through it too quick because I thought that it was going to install based on preview installation configuration, but now that I look at it again, the eMusic was checked. So my mistake and i apologize.

wow, don't I feel like an idiot
Old 12th May 2006, 11:13   #86
JonnyMac

No worries.
Old 12th May 2006, 12:49   #87
ujay
Forum King

The emusic bundle is the one option not honoured from a previous install, it needs to be turned off each time.
Maybe there is some marketing deal involved.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 17:22   #88
Squadman

Send a message via AIM to Squadman
It's not even adware anyway. It doesn't collect information about you or do any action that is adware related. It simply gives you access to 50 free MP3's from Emusic.
Squadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 18:22   #89
sekond

yeah, i know i used the wrong term by saying adware. eh, i basically ment in the sense that winAMP was become a software that was bundled with 3rd party software... which it isn't cuz you don't have to install it. i called it adware because when gator added gain it was dubbed that by a few including me.

anyway, as long as you don't have to install any 3rd party software with winAMP, then it is all good, it was just a mistake that freaked me out -=p
Old 12th May 2006, 18:31   #90
JonnyMac

No worries. We know that you have already apologized and thank you for that.

I do not think that Squadman (or ujay) was trying to find fault with you. Squadman was just reiterating the idea that it is not an adware issue.

It is OK. Be happy.
Old 12th May 2006, 18:52   #91
sekond

Haha, i am... i'm happy cuz i made a mistake, cuz if i was accurate on my statement i would be... well, sad... heh i wrote a freakin novel size entry on my blog about the wrong assumption... oops, i still have to correct that

anyway, It's all good and i still love winAMP and nullsoft
Old 22nd May 2006, 15:29   #92
niktheguru

Whats going on with winamp development at the moment guys. Its been pretty quiet since the release of 5.21. Do you have any info you can share with us? Is it halted currently or are we need to getting a lil update anytime soon :-)

Nikhil
niktheguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 15:46   #93
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

A new version is in the works, and will be released as soon as it's ready.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 17:33   #94
Squadman

Send a message via AIM to Squadman
I don't think I've ever anticipated a new version as much as 5.22 (or whatever it will be) more before...
Squadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 21:53   #95
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

It's being distilled. Us testers aren't getting our grubby hands on anything to play with as yet, so there is nothing to report. But I am currently running a 5.22 beta, and there have been a fair few different builds. No updates that I know about except those already mentioned

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:48   #96
niktheguru

Excellent....thats good to know, cos it's been quiet of late. Of course i wasn't asking "when" it was gonna be done because i've been here long enough to know that question never gets answered!! ;-) Lookin forward to the next release.

Nikhil
niktheguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion