Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion > Winamp3 Wishlist

View Poll Results: Would AutoDJ+AutoMixes be useful to you?
Very frequently 2 66.67%
Often 0 0%
Occasionally 0 0%
Never 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th September 2002, 03:14   #1
pete.hodgson

infinite, selective AutoMix / AutoDJ with a memory!

AUTO-DJ PLAYS AUTOMIXES:
What i've been looking for, fruitlessly to-date, is a playback program that can auto-play, forever, random tracks from a preset user-defineable criteria. So, say, you wanted to create your own virtual "radio station" from your collection that played blues, rock, pop and jazz, but not opera nor classical, with the exception of Pavarotti, you could define it and save it as a future "autoMix". You could create, open and save named autoMixes.

CREATING AUTOMIXES:
You would be able to create your autoMix from multiple criteria:
Select your first criteria from Genre/Artist/Album/Tempo/Mood/etc, picking the selected Genres/Artists/Albums/Tempos/Moods/etc. A second criteria could be joined to the first with an "AND" or "BUT NOT" join. (This would cope with my odd example for Pavarotti to be included!)

MEMORY:
The autoDJ would optionally be able to remember the tracks it had picked and played, and never play the same track until all tracks in the autoMix had been played - even after shutdown and loading other autoMixes. (With over 6000 tracks in my collection, I'm in need of some way to guarantee I hear all the tracks in my collection.)

FLEXIBILITY:
The autoDJ detects that WinAmp is at the end of it's playlist and adds the next random track from the autoMix to the end of the playlist. This would allow the playlist to be edited manually on-the-fly, so the music would never stop rolling, but you'd always be allowed to choose your own tracks at any time.
To keep things manageable, the playlist length would have be cropped to a prefered number of tracks, so the playlist represents the last x number of tracks played.

COMMERCIAL VIABILITY:
This would make WinAmp suitable for use in pubs and clubs, public hands-off situations, and amateur radio stations (and used while I'm building my house over the next year . For these situations, a plug-in like this could easily justify being paid for.

What do people think? Any developers out there?
Old 17th September 2002, 07:14   #2
Brennan
Monkey Hump Master

This is pretty much already the behavior of Winamp3. Just make your query in the Media Library (it supports a query language as well as basic searching), then copy the results to a playlist. Now just shuffle it; the shuffle algorithm already makes sure not to play the same song before a percentage of other songs have played (that's basically what the Shuffle Window Size is, except inverted, i.e. if the size is 10% it looks past the most recent 90%).

What else did you want... oh yeah, queuing up specific files to play next... have you tried holding down the Alt key while left-clicking in the playlist? You might like it.

The other functionality you want that is missing is basically to save queries, not just results, (which is upcoming) and to have playlists remember previous shuffle orders (it used to do this, and I'm gonna fix it to do it again (but optionally this time, 'cause it slows down loading playlists.) Until then, just don't close Winamp3 .

And what do you know, it's free!

--Brennan
Old 17th September 2002, 07:41   #3
pete.hodgson

Brennan,
Thanks for your reply and the good news. Great work!
To make the most of it, where can I find info on the Query syntax? Does it support wildcards?
Pete.
Old 20th September 2002, 20:57   #4
evil_oj

Lightbulb

Since Winamp3 already has a query search, wouldn't a Smart/Auto (As seen in iTunes and WMP9) playlist be really possible and pretty easy to implement into Winamp3 3.0x (hopefully 3.01!) ? Just have like a GUI for the query selections, but keep the console mode.

3 I encode my music in Ogg Vorbis
I know enough about music and computers not to like computerized music.
Old 20th September 2002, 21:07   #5
evil_oj

Lightbulb

Old 20th September 2002, 21:09   #6
evil_oj

sorry for double post

Old 22nd September 2002, 06:00   #7
pete.hodgson

See the post at http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=106127 for a solution that produces a similar result, but I think may be a little more powerful - and barely requires additional programming atop the existing Winamp (I think?). Pete.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion > Winamp3 Wishlist