X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnAleRadio
    • Oct 2003

Shoutcasting from a dialup

I have a shoutcast station and I'd like to have people on dialup connections be able to participate.

I know, I know... tell them to get a real connection (wink). Seriously though, here's my thing:

I auditioned a couple of people, and it sounds like they are buffering. I have my station set to the absolute lowest MP3 encoder setting possible, mainly because I know a couple of people LISTENING are doing so using dialup.

The thing is, they're not buffering -- and when they do it's few and far between.

Why is there a difference? They're sending a signal to me, and it sounds like they're skipping or buffering every 10 seconds or so: Is there some kind of setting I can make in the DNAS so they would be able to shoutcast cleaner?

Hope someone can help me; or at least send me a bag of honey bbq fritos.

Thanks!

John
  • fraterlvx
    • Oct 2003

festerbot:
    Check out the Sticky post titled:
    SHOUTcast: Important Info & Answers to FAQs. READ ME!

Scroll down a bit and look for the section titled:
    1. DNAS Stuff -> Bandwidth -> DSLReports Bandwidth tester(Only be concerned with the UPLOAD bandwidth)
    2. DNAS Stuff -> Bandwidth -> CasterClub's Listener Calculator
    3. DNAS Stuff -> Bandwidth -> CasterClub's Bandwidth Calculator

Use 1 to find your upload.
    Use 2 to determine the number of listeners you can support at your selected streaming bitrate.

Additionally, your listeners download needs to exceed your streaming bitrate.

Jay (KXRM) also has a Bandwidth Calculator.

Comment

• JohnAleRadio
      • Oct 2003

I'm not concerned with the listener download. I'm not having problems with that.

My concern is with a broadcaster.

I have one that uses dialup. I used to listen to them doing a show on another shoutcast station that was up; they were able to do a show that sounded pretty good considering, and they were on dialup.

I want to know what I would have to do on my server for them to be able to do a show here, if need be.

Comment

• fraterlvx
        • Oct 2003

that answers precisely that.

it concerns how a broadcaster could make sure that their broadcast is going through to his/her target audience within safe boundaries.

Comment

• JohnAleRadio
          • Oct 2003

Okay. I don't think you're catching my situation.

I'm not concerned with how the SHOUTCAST station is sending out.

EXAMPLE:
          Joe Smith has a dialup connection, and is sending his signal to Shoutcast station A.

I have a cable connection, and I am listening to Shoutcast station A. I hear Joe Smith's show loud and clear, with no problems whatsoever.

I am broadcasting on Shoutcast station B with my cable connection, and there are no problems.

Joe Smith is broadcasting on Shoutcast station B, and when I, on my cable connection, am listening to him, it sounds like he's buffering. It only happens with someone who is shoutcasting from a dialup connection.

Do you see my situation now?

Comment

• festerhead
            Alumni
            • Sep 2001

Do youi see your listening Winamp buffereing?

Dialups have limited upload and may, if lucky, be able to source a 24kbps DNAS.

Comment

• JohnAleRadio
              • Oct 2003

* The DNAS is set to the lowest possible setting. More for listeners than broadcasters, but it should help in this case definitely.

* I was not buffering. It sounded like it was dragging out; the sound never dropped - it just sounded like it was a bad download or something.

I know it can be done from the dialup; I'm guessing it's something in the configuration or something that's added or whatnot only because the person I'm trying to work with on my server is someone that's done shoutcasting elsewhere, and they had no problems.

And it's not like I can't go to the other station's guy because it doesn't exist anymore and the guy that ran that station found a "job" or something. That's why I came here - I'm sure SOMEONE has dialup and can successfully shoutcast, no?

*sigh*

The kid's not bad either, I'd love to have her on board already....

Comment

Working...
              X