Old 5th May 2014, 17:03   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
regarding spam

hey devs,

I know its a PITA for you all too, but honestly this is the only forum I belong to that allows so much spam thru, most allow none at all. other forums use QnAs and captchas and so on to keep it from happening.

can't something be implemented? thx.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 17:44   #2
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
hey devs,

I know its a PITA for you all too, but honestly this is the only forum I belong to that allows so much spam thru, most allow none at all. other forums use QnAs and captchas and so on to keep it from happening.

can't something be implemented? thx.
I've already suggested they should install the "Stop Forum Spam" plugin for the forum but the suggestion seems to have fallen on deaf ears! We have it installed on the forum I help moderate and it's rare we get any spam when we do it's acted upon asap.

Unfortunately the fact they haven't acted on it yet means a lot of the ones that are listed by SFS will have already got through.

Proud user of RadioDJ FREE shoutcast automation software

Online: Twitter - Facebook - Mixcloud
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 18:38   #3
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

There is already a working spam filter, most users are not aware how many spam postings are only visible for moderators.

Also, if we see spam postings which were not detected by the filter, we quickly delete them and ban the spamers.

I doubt that you have seen spam postings which were longer online than a day.
Or have you seen spam postings, which were not removed in an acceptable time frame?

>> Moving the thread to the website feedback forum.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 18:43   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

I think maybe you misunderstand the request/complaint.

I know you guys handle it very quickly when it happens most of the time, and its appreciated.

what I am saying is that it should never be allowed to happen in the first place. it generates emails to old threads that are just spam. and on other forums, it is NOT an issue. whatever filter you guys have, its not good. it should prevent spammers / bots from being able to sign up in the first place.

--
Old 5th May 2014, 18:46   #5
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I agree, that there should be a captcha if someone creates a new forums account, that would make it impossible for spam bots to register.

As for the Spam Filter, I guess about 90% of the spam will be directly detected as spam and no new mail notification will be send for these postings.

When I remember back, before they upgraded the forums, it was even more worst, there was no single filter nothing, really painful for the mods, but yeah, there is always room for improvements.
Old 5th May 2014, 18:50   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

cool. I didn't realize there was a filter separate from the signup filter.

anyway, I hope Egg or someone will do something about it. thx.

--
Old 5th May 2014, 19:00   #7
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Yup, the filter works pretty good. Though, we had a vice versa effect too, some non spam postings were detected as spam and awaited moderation.

Especially PBelkner had a lot of bad luck with the filter, hehe.
Old 5th May 2014, 19:30   #8
DrO

what was suggested was passed on (though it seems to not be supported with the old version of VBB we're forced to use from what i remember which is a risk in itself on both counts but that's just how it is for the time being). what gets through is minimal compared to what gets blocked (as has been repeatedly stated). why do i get annoyed.... because you all make out like it's 100s of spam posts getting through a day when it's not. it's only noticeable for the few that get through because there's minimal posting on here by real users. and captchas should already be present (as much good as they can be).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 20:19   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

I'm not trying to annoy anyone, but I installed and ran more than one BB in my time, and there are free solutions that are 99.9% effective in stopping spam. (phpBB is a great one imo)

I just don't like getting the notifications in my email, that's the main thing.

--
Old 5th May 2014, 20:31   #10
DrO

then don't subscribe to threads or remove subscriptions to threads from 2 years ago until something else is done... which ideally needs a complete forum software update and making appropriate changes rather than trying to band-aid things as others are pushing for - which was known about by the prior management and is known about by the new management (and which is not going to be a straightforward thing due to the years of hacks/customisations on what is our running version of VBB). and its recaptcha which is in use.
Old 5th May 2014, 20:34   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

I don't think changing my subscriptions is the appropriate solution. I look forward to you all implementing changes, and just hope its not years away.

thx.

--
Old 5th May 2014, 20:39   #12
DrO

we could just stop all account registrations and close the forums. that'd be a 100% complete solution to spam.

just because the subscription meant you got notified of something (which based on others feedback doesn't always work), be grateful you got the notification of a new post in a subscribed thread.
Old 5th May 2014, 20:40   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO, this is a completely inappropriate response to my posts. what I had to say was constructive and respectful.

--
Old 5th May 2014, 20:47   #14
DrO

and mine was a reasonable solution as you're wanting a 100% solution, but there is no such thing when it comes to blocking spam other than what i said. as no matter what is put in place, spam will get through.

and (you and others) don't need to make a mountain out of a mole hill out of something that is clearly documented as being known and acknowledged that it needs attention and to keep banging on about it.

yes there's spam and we know it gets through to visible posts at times, but people freaking out over the odd post / email notification compared to what is seen from a moderation/admin aspect is minimal (and what is seen behind the scenes is minimal compared to what it has been like).

and what gets through is no more than i've seen on other forums and is just a part of things in general. sure there's things that can and should be installed (as noted once again in this thread), but there are far more pressing things to be done on site back-ends than the forums for the time being with the small team that we have.

and i'm not bothered if my responses are seen as over-reacting / antagonising / annoyed, i'm just going with what everyone else is doing as clearly there's so much crap posts being made (along with so much spam), it's annoying me as well, but there's nothing i can get done about that issue.
Old 6th May 2014, 05:30   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The signup procedure does use reCaptcha, but the spambots are wise to it these days...
probably because we're using an old version of vBulletin.
Ideally, we need to upgrade to the latest version, heh.

As DrO & Koopa said, the built-in spam filter does detect a large percentage of spam and automatically hides it.
Though as you've noticed, some does get through, and we ban & delete those as quickly as humanly possible.

I agree that we need to improve the system and of course it would be nice for it to be fully automated.
As always, we shall see....

Chill :-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Site Design

Tags
spam