Old 18th January 2009, 00:24   #1
rockouthippie
Banned

I like Google Chrome

I just tried out the new Google Chrome browser. It's as fast as Safari and doesn't seem to have any issues. I like Safari, but it seems to have a few issues. I thought I'd mention it. I have been a Firefox fan for a long time, but this is slick, way faster (very, very fast) and seems to be lean, clean and mean.

Usually I'm a cynic about things, but this seems real nice.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 00:55   #2
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

If you're wanting to know what others have to say about it, click here.
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 05:27   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

Not to bump a five year old post or to bump

Chrome is at version 1 now, and not the same animal.

I'm not giving up Firefox because of the developer plugins, but for a general browser, this is KOOL.
Old 18th January 2009, 13:54   #4
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Does it not choke on flash heavy sites anymore?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 15:07   #5
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

Since the Flash plugin comes from a different vendor, it has little to do with Chrome.
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 17:21   #6
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
If you want you can change to the dev-channel as I have, the current version is 2.0.157.2

http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 19:17   #7
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by baafie
Since the Flash plugin comes from a different vendor, it has little to do with Chrome.
. . . and? It works in Firefox, it works in Opera. It even works in IE. Regardless of the reason, these sites not working properly in Chrome is a deal breaker.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 19th January 2009, 21:49   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

I haven't found any sites so far that don't work with chrome. If flash was a problem, it isn't now.
Old 19th January 2009, 23:02   #9
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
I haven't found any sites so far that don't work with chrome. If flash was a problem, it isn't now.
Thanks. I'll try it out later this week.

Old 20th January 2009, 11:41   #10
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

but make sure to use one of the anonymisation mods (cant remember the names atm), because google is watching you!
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 05:57   #11
MrRobot

Send a message via ICQ to MrRobot
Meh.. Ok I love google's designs, completely how it's meant to be. They are the ones who have shown some search engine companies with annoyingly crawded pages and bad designs how it has to be done, also with more functionality. Though I must say, just sometimes, they get too much simplistic, like in Picasa, which wasn't really an alternative for the bulky ACDSEE. It's a nice application but I wouldn't use it as my picture viewer.
And Gmail, it made me replace our commercial email service providers, with an unbelievably clean, fast, simple, useful system and big resource. Though with another issue, you can't ungroup email chunks, they are still my favourite.

For Google Chrome, they are doing their magic again, showing us how a 'slick' web browser could be designed, with some good functionality ideas, as always. But I find it too much simple -lacking, even- again, I love firefox -though it has some little problems-, and wouldn't change it with something like that one. I'd rather prefer firefox people add firefox the great ideas in google chrome. That idea looks way better to me.

Other than that, I think GC has the'brand new look' effect. You know, sometimes you find something looking cool, it looks like the best thing to have for the rest of your life. But after a period of time, you realize it's not that cool in function, missing something here and there, and revert to your previous system after a few months or a year or two, when the effect is over.

Just my 2 cents.
MrRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:07   #12
Galloglas

Quote:
Originally posted by P$ycHoâ„¢
but make sure to use one of the anonymisation mods (cant remember the names atm), because google is watching you!

Yes because no one else sends usage information... like winamp. Can you taste the sarcasm? I should hope so because it's really thick.

Anyway, that can be turned off in the options. There is also a feature that other browsers don't have which is called "incognito mode". This allows the user to browse in complete privacy not even storing any information about browsing history on your own computer. Great for your teenage son to browse the pr0n without you finding out.

But next time you post something. At least know what you're talking about and don't spew that conspiracy theory nonsense.

If you want complete privacy, get rid of windows, or even better, your computer entirely.

Chrome is coming a long way. It's still fast. Unlike Firefox (which I'm still a fan of) that seems to get slower with each release.

Safari, could be cool, if it was a little more stable.

Opera, the red headed stepchild of the browser industry.

Avant, not relevant imo.

Internet Explorer, ol' reliable. Just make sure you have your firewalls running and clear out your temp and cache after each browsing experience. A must have if you want to update windows. Which.... OMG!!! Collects information about your computer! THE EVIL MEN ARE COMING TO GET YOU! LOL.

...more sarcasm... if you couldn't tell.

http://www.mychromeaddons.com/
Galloglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:32   #13
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Old 22nd September 2009, 16:37   #14
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I've had that Safari image on my desktop for almost half my schoolyears.
Forgot where I got it, though. I remember it being a super high-resolution image.. but then, I was like 15 or so, so everything was better than it seems to be now.
There are more images from that shoot by the way

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:22   #15
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by Galloglas

Yes because no one else sends usage information... like winamp. Can you taste the sarcasm? I should hope so because it's really thick.

Anyway, that can be turned off in the options. There is also a feature that other browsers don't have which is called "incognito mode". This allows the user to browse in complete privacy not even storing any information about browsing history on your own computer. Great for your teenage son to browse the pr0n without you finding out.

But next time you post something. At least know what you're talking about and don't spew that conspiracy theory nonsense.

If you want complete privacy, get rid of windows, or even better, your computer entirely.

Chrome is coming a long way. It's still fast. Unlike Firefox (which I'm still a fan of) that seems to get slower with each release.

Safari, could be cool, if it was a little more stable.

Opera, the red headed stepchild of the browser industry.

Avant, not relevant imo.

Internet Explorer, ol' reliable. Just make sure you have your firewalls running and clear out your temp and cache after each browsing experience. A must have if you want to update windows. Which.... OMG!!! Collects information about your computer! THE EVIL MEN ARE COMING TO GET YOU! LOL.

...more sarcasm... if you couldn't tell.

http://www.mychromeaddons.com/
no, google isnt at all customizing adverts to the stuff you enter into the search engine. it doesnt at all keep cookies. and chrome doesnt tag you with a user id at all...
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:39   #16
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior of the Light
I've had that Safari image on my desktop for almost half my schoolyears.
I'm glad to hear it wasn't the Chrome chick.
Old 23rd September 2009, 02:54   #17
RockyRacoon

I'm typing this on chrome now but I've got to admit I still love firefox. The extra plugins are so great... and I get really annoyed that chrome doesn't have Google's tool bar.
RockyRacoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 08:23   #18
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Galloglas
There is also a feature that other browsers don't have which is called "incognito mode". This allows the user to browse in complete privacy not even storing any information about browsing history on your own computer. Great for your teenage son to browse the pr0n without you finding out.
The latest versions of IE and FF have that feature too (just fyi).

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 04:23   #19
webthing
Forum King

Switched to chrome today from IE 9. IE is all I ever used.
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 05:16   #20
rockouthippie
Banned

Wow... Internet Explorer.... I'll bet you won't be switching back....
Old 8th January 2012, 15:35   #21
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

To be fair, I did at least find IE9 to be a big improvement over IE8.

Old 8th January 2012, 18:07   #22
webthing
Forum King

Lot faster all around. Tabs are easier to see. ect, ect, ect.

Any must have plug-ins?
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 23:21   #23
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
There are still some web based applications that won't work for non-IE web browsers.

For example, our state student tracking database won't display properly once logged in when using chrome or firefox. For instance, it will display a large page without scrollbars, making it impossible to view necessary links and other content that should be accessible through scrolling. There are also other problems, some ready-to-print documents that you try to open will only open in IE on that system. Chrome and Firefox have all necessary plugins and updated add-ons, but it still only works in IE for some reason.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 08:03   #24
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
state student tracking database won't display properly
That's backwards. Evidently your student database was designed for IE. The only reason to do that would be to make sure you buy windows.

The proper way to say that is.... the student tracking database uses broken code.

If you need IE to display a web, the web is broken. If a web doesn't work with IE. IE is broken.

A web browser is supposed to read html4 and display the page correctly. IE doesn't do this. Look at any web with a style sheet. You've probably got 50 lines of style sheet just to overcome errors in the way IE displays html.

The rest of the browsers.... you send them a web page and they display it.

Adding insult to injury... while Microsoft is sending out a broken browser... they don't even document where it's broke or how to work around it.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:49   #25
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

While I'm no fan of IE, I have to admit it's really gotten a lot better. IE9 is fast, much better than its predecessors with web standards (it passes ACID3 except for a drop shadow) and has been much more stable.

When things don't work in IE, I tend to get annoyed with the developer before the browser these days.

Old 11th January 2012, 02:39   #26
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
people defend internet explorer? seriously?

wow....

oh and i know he won't see this, but i'm snagging that image for later debates, also, chrome... an anorexic skeleton with not a damn thing to offer except a ghastly view and quite a lot of missing essential pieces, it may be meant to be funny, but taken seriously it's fucking hilarious instead for entirely different reasons.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 03:17   #27
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Most professional based web sites are designed for IE, for better or worse, knowing that most computers have IE as the default browser when purchased.

Old 11th January 2012, 03:19   #28
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
so.... in other words if 90% of the population was too stupid to speak someone who could would be the new "smart"?

majority may rule, but that doesn't mean they're correct.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 03:39   #29
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

You've never worked in IT, have you?

Old 11th January 2012, 04:23   #30
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Who's to say what "correct" is? There's a popular browser out there, and this program was designed to be used for it. It's kinda like USB vs. IEEE 1394 vs. Apple "Dock", etc. or SD vs. MMC vs. Memory Stick, etc. in hardware.

I would prefer my database software to work with all browsers, but I'm ok, so long as it works with one browser (in this case IE) that's on just about every windows computer out there. I prefer firefox for browsing, but really, having to use IE for this isn't that much of a big deal to me.

Old 11th January 2012, 04:26   #31
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Several of my clients have line of business applications that only work in IE, along with vendor websites and the like. Since they're basically stuck with it, any improvements in IE are welcome.

Old 11th January 2012, 11:39   #32
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I can also say, that I like Google Chrome, if everything works fine. Google Chrome is so much faster than the very often freezing Firefox, and a text will not be away (before it is posted) like in Internet Explorer, which loves to stop working very often.
For some things I need Internet Explorer or Firefox, because these things don't work in Google Chrome, only in Internet Explorer or Firefox. In Opera I don't want to login again to Facebook (I had to clear the cookies to logout), but I use Opera for some further things.
I don't want to use Safari (I don't know anymore, why I had installed it). Safari asks me very often to istall this very ugly Quicktime Monster again or iTunes, which does also not come onto my computer.
I have also SRWare Iron, it should work like Google Chrome (two friends had recommended to install it), but SRWare Iron does not have the very nice extensions like Google Chrome, and I need these extensions.
I am here again today with Google Chrome, because I can write my post here without the danger of losing the text before the posting. I think, I will also work in Internet Explorer today (with having my Task Manager in my hands). It is only very mysterious: I have 2 tabs open in Google Chrome, but I am counting 40 processes of "chrome.exe" in my Task Manager (if I have 2 tabs in Internet Explorer open, I count mostly 5 or 6 processes of "iexplore.exe", now I am counting 3)...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 13:17   #33
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

FYI: Chrome has its own task manager. Right click on the top bar and go to "Task Manager" to see what's running.

Old 11th January 2012, 14:20   #34
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Thank You. I have found it. That's very interesting...
Now I am back (with Google Chrome, of course), after I have lost 1-2 hours because of Windows Update and 2 rebootings (but the same stream from yesterday has been picked up again for me now after the second rebooting)...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions