Old 18th May 2001, 18:10   #1
Pete2K

Send a message via ICQ to Pete2K
How come the skins to WA3 come off as totally crap (at least 99% of them) and the skins made to Sonique 2, and 1.x for that matter, often look sweet as honey. The difference in appearance is pretty obvious, at least to me. Does anyone agree with me?

I'll probably will get flamed, but what the heck.
Old 18th May 2001, 18:13   #2
bluekeydesign

Send a message via ICQ to bluekeydesign
I made some of the skins for Sonique 2 and i think your eyes are messing up or something.
Rhino's WA3 skins are way better than mine for Sonique 2.
There is a couple not bad ones for Sonique 2 but Micron, Auriga,LydiaAmp,Foundry, and K-jofol are all pretty nice skins.

Jon

Why Llamas? Why not Aardvarks??
Old 18th May 2001, 18:23   #3
Pete2K

Auriga looks good, i agree. But i really don't see how one can consider K-jofol as a Winamp skin. The rest, really NOT my cup of tea.
Old 18th May 2001, 18:57   #4
bluekeydesign

K-jofol is an example of what you can do with winamp3.
It shows that winamp3 can do everything k-jofol can and more.

Jon

Old 18th May 2001, 19:07   #5
Spoonman

And just what does it take to make it "a Winamp skin"? Auriga, Lydia, Foundry, and Micron all look like some kind of audio gear. K-jofol looks like, well, K-jofol, but that doesn't make it not a Winamp skin.

With the new freeform system in WA3, you can, and probably will, see everything under the sun, and every one of them is a Winamp skin. Does that mean they are good UI's? Effective? Attractive? Of course not.

Then there's the primacy issue. Sonique has been freeform for a long time. Thus, the skinners for that have climbed the learning curve, resulting in more time for artistry and less time for engineering. Whereas Winamp has only had freeform skinning since the Alpha came out. The available functionality has been incrementally expanding, and the skins you see now are largely pioneering efforts. First skins with odd shapes and oddly placed buttons and nothing else. Then simple audio equipment. Then scripting. Now the first attempts to bring everything we have so far together.

If you must make a comparison between the two sets of skins, a more fair comparison would be between the current WA3 skins, and the first Sonique 1 skins.
Old 18th May 2001, 19:53   #6
bluekeydesign

Good point spoonman.
Jon

Old 18th May 2001, 21:49   #7
RhinoTrip
Major Dude

I've heard from this dude before. He's the kind of guy who loves to shout blanket statements at people because he's not intelligent enough to do anything else. At this point WA3 skinning is in its infancy. So is S2's. My most recent skin (which will be in out in another week or two) is the first one I feel comes close to the Sonique level of graphical endeavour. This is because those of us who have been using WA3 for a while are just getting used to free-form graphics, and none of the Sonique 1.x-ers (or very few of them anyway) are using Winamp.

RhinoTrip
Working for the man.
Old 18th May 2001, 22:44   #8
Lepre41

Send a message via AIM to Lepre41
it's pretty much a personal opinion issue, honestly. Rhino - I think many of your skins (if not all of them) more than match up with most of the Sonique skins. Yeah, there are a couple of great s1 skins that are outstanding... but I am certain that they will soon be surpassed by both S2 and WA3 skins. At least, that is my hope- I think we can all agree that the future is where the best skins will come from.
Old 18th May 2001, 23:06   #9
lunarboy1
Forum King

Hey RT. I just saw your MicroAmp Z skin and i kicks! I can't wait till the script compiler comes out cuz I kee on getting the Guru errors. Anyways, your skinning talent rocks RT. Keep it up.
Old 19th May 2001, 00:01   #10
RhinoTrip
Major Dude

The current script compiler is here:
http://www.bluemars.org/wa3skintutorial/

My WA3 Scripting Spec:
http://www.stefanweb.com/wa3/index.html

I recently added a tutorial on guru meditations to that site. Here's a brief transcript:

Guru meditations are null point errors, usually occur when you're trying to load an object with getObject() that doesn't exist, or you're trying to access an invalid array index, ie. List(7) when there are only 6 items (or 7 items, indexes obv. go from 0 to n - 1). They can also happen if you pass a function the wrong parameters, like if the function My_Func(int x, int y, float p) was passed an integer and a float like this: My_Func(0, 1.2). No good.

I think they might also happen if you try to set autoplay=1 in the .xml file but I can't remember.

RhinoTrip
Working for the man.
Old 19th May 2001, 15:07   #11
Pete2K

I agree with spoonman. WA skinners arent fully trained on freeform skinning. And I also think that most skinners with decent skills are waiting until Winamp has passed alpha/beta stage, until they start doing their artworks. And I totally understand them.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion