Old 8th September 2015, 14:45   #1
umitemree

[TOOL] Shoutcast Connectivity Tester

Shoutcast Connectivity Tester

I've wrote a simple tool that checks if DJ Information on any Shoutcast Server is correct. It's a tool called Shoutcast Connectivity Tester and it's written in C# using Visual Studio 2015. It helps you wheter your configuration is correct or not. It works both for transcoder and DNAS itself. I have provided source code of the tool so you can check it out!

Click here for more information & download tool and source code
umitemree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 09:43   #2
jaromanda
Forum King

do you realise you've spent hours and hours writing a connectivity tester for a product released 11 years ago, and abandoned superseded 4 years ago?

well done, you

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 14:15   #3
umitemree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
do you realise you've spent hours and hours writing a connectivity tester for a product released 11 years ago, and abandoned superseded 4 years ago?

well done, you
Actually it was a great experience in C# for me. I wanted to build something for beginning rather than creating a calculator and I came up with this. It's not that useful.

You can have some knowledge about ShoutCAST protocol by looking into source code. It could be useful then.
umitemree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 19:26   #4
Unknown Artist

Cool idea, if you really want to go all out there are a lot of odd behaviors you could debug for. Is the program setup to test from a proxy or a direct connection? (EG. test connectivity locally vs externally).

It might also be cool if it was a more advanced version of the configuration editor. There's plenty of docs to read up on what settings do what...might be interesting to read a small diagnostic like, This Shoutcast Server is configured for cloud applications or This server is a host vs a relay etc.

Not that you'd want to spend more time on this without being paid~

What I do with SHOUTcast otherwise on TuneIn
Unknown Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 20:22   #5
DrO

you cannot determine such information when just accessing it as a source connection. all this appears to be is a simple means to see if the DNAS exists and will respond to the source connection.

the rest you've mentioned is only really something you can do local to the install (especially configuration aspects) or requires having admin access (especially for some of the lower level details that can be obtained from the DNAS).

though as this seems to be focused on checking a 1.x connection, most of the decent information can only be obtained from a recent 2.x setup.

as for the configuration editor aspect, there was one and it was a pain to maintain and was too focused on the dropped sc_trans and so the configuration editor has since been dropped in favour of the simpler setup mode (which does just enough to get things going which is what most will need). anything more complex either needs to be handled via a proper editor / control panel or possible done as something within the DNAS's own management (which only does it for debugging options and a few other things for the next release).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions