Old 3rd April 2011, 00:13   #1
Nehemoth

Winamp + Receiver via Optical (S/PDIF)

Hi there

Been using Winamp for a long time now, months ago a bought a lovely receiver (Denon AVR-791), till now the experience has been great. Today the experience has been rise again, while configuring The Kmplayer I choose S/PDIF and the sound went from great to incredible so that made me think about winamp.

I have a huge collections of MP3 (320kbps) and some lossless files (FLAC, APE) and of course I would like to rise my listening experience via winamp too, so I ask you :

Which is the best output configuration that I should select in Winamp?.

Should I use some kind of plugin or something to even create a more grateful experience?.

Best regards
Nehemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 00:56   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
one would think that any digital output would be as good as any other. winamp merely feeds the bits to windows.

what is kmplayer?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 00:58   #3
Nehemoth

The Kmplayer is a multimedia player, like windows media player. Highly recommended as its unknown
Old 3rd April 2011, 17:22   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I use Winamp on a PC connected to an Onkyo amp. Did not have to do anything specific to get the audio out of Winamp and into the amp. Just make sure the OS is correctly configured to use SPDIF.

One big problem was.... before buying the Onkyo I had spent a year converting my 250+ CDs to MP3 at 320kbps. Now I am playing through the Onkyo I realise how crap MP3 is and have had to start again on the ripping, moving it all to FLAC.

I'll go check my Winamp on the Media PC to see if there is any settings I was missing. AH - the AC3Plug plugin was needed for decoding DTS \ Surround Sound.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 18:57   #5
Nehemoth

Excellent.

So for MP3 files do nothing (Windows is already configure for my AVR).
And for DTS audio use a plugin.

Thank you
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:06   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I can't remember exactly as it was a while since I set it up, but I can refer to it for details as needed.

Your assumption is not quite right.

For STEREO output do nothing. MP3, FLAC, etc will all play fine and output happily through SPDIF as stereo.

Decoding DTS files and other 5.1 surround sound tracks needs the AC3 plugin otherwise they are output as plain stereo. This is mainly relevant to watching films and video encoded with a Surround Sound track.

If all you are doing is playing Stereo Music, then you need to do nothing. Winamp is ready for you now. The DirectSound output of Winamp uses your OS's choice of output, so as long as your SPDIF is working in the OS, then it should work in Winamp.

Let me know if you need help. I can retrieve settings from my Winamp for you as needed.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
denon, optical, receiver, spdif