Old 25th August 2013, 16:45   #1
wtfwtfwtfwtf

Winamp Pro has stopped ripping. Windows 7.

Hi. Winamp has stopped ripping. This is a registered version.

I put in a CD, and everything proceeds like normal (with one exception that I'll get to in a second) but just as it gets to the end of the last track, about 98% or 99%, the disk pops out (seemingly as usual) and then Winamp stops working and I get an option to close the program or search online for a solution. (The details show as below.) Winamp is not creating new Playlist entry for the disk as it always otherwise does.

The one exception to everything proceeding as normal is that some CDs that I have tried ripping (including the one I first noticed this on) seem to be zipping through the rip process unusually fast. Like over to 14x. CDs with 50 plus minutes of music are ripping in about 90 seconds, where it would usually take approximately twice that (I've never actually timed it. I'm ripping to mp3 at the highest quality setting. Have never had problems in the past that were not disc-specific.

Winamp is otherwise working fine, and is able to play previously ripped and other files and can play the CDs. I have verified that there is way more than enough space on the drive I'm trying to write to (gigabytes worth) and the drive and folder are otherwise accessible and writeable. I have been unable to locate any of the files that were supposed to have been ripped (they are not in the specified directory) so I am not sure if Winamp is trying to and failing to write, or hasn't written, or even if it is supposed to write only after the ripping itself is complete. I've tried this with CDs that I have successfully ripped in the past, but they all fail at the same point. I've rebooted the computer (a Toshiba laptop). I've made no changes to the system or to the Winamp installation since the last time I successfully ripped, about a week or so ago.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Here's the details from the the Windows fail dialog.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: winamp.exe
Application Version: 5.6.0.3091
Application Timestamp: 4d00b3a0
Fault Module Name: MSVCR90.dll
Fault Module Version: 9.0.30729.6161
Fault Module Timestamp: 4dace5b9
Exception Offset: 0003024a
Exception Code: c0000417
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 6826
Additional Information 2: 6826ba6be272c0cf0baec822257134b2
Additional Information 3: 2116
Additional Information 4: 21168bbd4ec7bcf61d624e502025a410

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
wtfwtfwtfwtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 10:34   #2
DrO

try with v5.65 and if it still crashes then install the v5.7 beta and then provide a copy of the report.zip it generates.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 22:00   #3
wtfwtfwtfwtf

Hey Dr O. Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently using 5.601 (x86) which I realize is quite old. I was going to update, but it seems odd that this problem should develop all of a sudden without any changes having been made to either Winamp or the system (no Windows updates, etc.)

Is there anyway of backing up my Winamp database. I know I can just rescan my local media, but I really don't want to lose my History, which has happened in the past when I've updated. Can the database files be copied as a backup?

Thanks.
Old 26th August 2013, 22:05   #4
DrO

you could try the backup tool or manually backup the whole of the %appdata%\Winamp folder.
Old 26th August 2013, 22:23   #5
wtfwtfwtfwtf

Thanks again for that super fast reply. The backup tool looks really nice.. and more incentive for me to install the update as it only works wit higher versions than what I've been (happily) using for a few years.

Do the symptoms I describes suggest anything (other than that I should update)? In particular, the fact that the rips that are failing at the very end seem to be happing much faster than usual.

Also, are these filed rips leaving the ripped files somewhere on my local drive? I can't find them anywhere, and they're not in the designated folder.

Thanks again.

I love Winamp (99.99% of the time )
Old 26th August 2013, 23:22   #6
wtfwtfwtfwtf

Well I've updated to the latest version, and it went without a problem.

I tried to rip a CD and it seemed to be going well... it wasn't plowing through at warp speed without pause like it had been, but was instead going at at nice 5x - 7x, stopping to digest every so often, as usual.

But when it got to the end, if failed, at the same spot: the last track was just about complete, the drive popped open (as per my settings) and all seemed well, and then a few seconds later it just crashed.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

I'm happy to try the 5.7 beta, though I have to say I'm skeptical that it will solve what seems to be a problem located elsewhere... maybe not even in Winamp... though Winamp is the only place where anything seems amiss.

Where can I find the 5.7 beta?

Could it be my hard drive?

Is it possible that a dick I tried to rip installed some kind of copy protection or DRM software, and that is keeping it from ripping disks that would otherwise rip without problem? I doubt it but thought I'd ask.
Old 30th August 2013, 07:10   #7
wtfwtfwtfwtf

This is so bumming me. I mean seriously and deeply bumming me.

What could it be?

The CDs play fine in Winamp.

And I'm totally sure I didn't knowingly change anything from the time it worked to when it didn't.

Is there a Windows 7 component that could be preventing Winamp from completing what appears to be an otherwise successful rip right at the very end? What dependencies does Winamp have?

I've upgraded to the latest version of Winamp. Is it worth doing a complete uninstall and reinstall? TBH, I've always been kind of wary of installing/upgrading Winamp, because it always seems to change some other setting, or try to install other stuff, even when I do a custom install and tell it not to (after the upgrade I just did, I found that my default for playing mp4 video files had been changed... coincidence? I don't know) but if you think it's worth trying, I'll do it. (My reluctance is a holdover from the late 90s when AOL was really aggressive in bundling and marketing.)

Is there any other process of elimination that would explain the symptons I'm having. I really need ot get this thing working.

Where can I find the beta, mentioned above? (though I suspect that's not gonna help, since it seems to be something deep enough to survive an upgrade.)

Anyone? Please?
Old 30th August 2013, 11:07   #8
DrO

hadn't seen updates to this thread until now.

http://www.winamp.com/labs/pc is where to get the beta version (or from the sticky thread in the discussion forum).

i would just install over what you've already installed but ensure you don't install the cloud components (and obviously checking you're not installing anything else you don't like). hopefully if it does crash, the crash reporter will kick in and if so, attach the report.zip to this thread (as well as allowing it to be sent normally).

until i have a crash report to work against, it's hard to make other suggestions on what to do or not do (in response to the other questions from your posts).
Old 30th August 2013, 16:44   #9
ujay
Forum King

Hi 4wtf,

How are you reading these tracks ???

Add [ '['%cdengine%']'] to the end of your ATF string, play a CD and take note what reading method you are using.

If you are using Sonic, then disable it (Prefs > CD Ripping > Ripping tab > Switch off Sonic reading) and try ripping with native SPTI or a 3rd party ASPI layer. (Sonic is only really needed for burning CDs and reading ATIP info)

Sonic used to be very aggressive in what it installed and would often screw up your system, later versions seem a lot more friendly and don't usually cause problems. Much seems to depend on what other CD software you have installed and whether they end up fighting each other.

Please continue with your upgrade and the report for DrO first, it would be good to try and get to the bottom of this, rather than just trying to work around the problem.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 20:22   #10
wtfwtfwtfwtf

Hey DrO and ujay, thank you for those replies. I really appreciate it.

I downloaded the beta and installed it into a new directory without overwriting the regular install. I ripped, and it didn't crash. That led me explore a bit further, playing around with the AppData folder. And that led me to discover the problem -- which I'm afraid to say was user error.

The crash was caused by my having added an <Artist> token to the output path, eg : D:\rips\<Artist>\

My intention was to specify a subfolder either to be automatically created, or to be written to if it exists, so I could keep the parent folder more organized.

I just assumed that Winamp would be able to parse that.

FWIW, I got used to using tokens like (though not identical to) that when specifying output paths in Reaper (ha ha) so I just naturally took for granted that Winamp would work the same way. Would be nice if it did!

Anyway... sorry for the false alarm -- and for forgetting that I had indeed made a change in how Winamp was set up, after being so certain that I had not.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 30th August 2013, 21:00   #11
DrO

ok, that at least gives me something to work on trying to fix as even with that in the path, it shouldn't crash and should essentially replace some of the characters with something that can be output.

the path option at the top doesn't, but having it as part of the next line down does - though like i mention, even like that it shouldn't crash though should be a simple enough fix.
Old 30th August 2013, 21:11   #12
ujay
Forum King

Winamp does have a wide range of tokens that can be used for folders and file names, but they are specified seperately from the main destination folder.

See Prefs > CD Ripping > Output File Settings tab > ('Format help' will show you what's available).

[edit] Hi daz.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support