Old 31st August 2013, 03:36   #1
andhow

Winamp streaming on localhost from localhost

I am streaming over a private LAN.

Actually I am running SC server and Winamp on the same PC (localhost), using the output for an FM broadcast. The encoder is on our media server in our studio. I have been having issues with trying to tweak Winamp to make the buffer refresh and as infrequent as possible, but after about an hour or so, it will buffer every 5 or so minutes. I would assume that being a low-latency stream since the server and the client are on the same PC, there would a minimal amount of buffering, if any.

I have tried, MAD & the default MPEG encoder that come with Winamp & recently have been installing the Betas to see if that helps. Nothing seems to fix it.

Has anyone else tried this type of setup and what did you do to resolve this issue?

Thanks!
andhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 08:56   #2
DrO

without knowing the versions of the Source DSP (which I have to assume is what you're using) and the version of the DNAS being used, its hard to make any real comment on things.

additionally is the system CPU limited i.e. its near 100% frequently as that can cause a gradual client buffering from the source - DNAS connection not being able to keep up (which is the general cause and not to do with Winamp being slow to decode).

and the encoding bitrate can also have an effect with higher bitrates having less latency but fill up internal buffers far quicker.

and final comment, posting 3 posts for the same issue almost got you inadvertently banned as a spammer - one post is enough to start with.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 09:10   #3
andhow

DNAS Win32 1.9.8 - Streaming AAC+ from the latest build of SAM Broadcaster at 96k.

The server is way over-spec'd just for this single purpose machine, which is to distribute the encoded stream from the media server (there are no problems between the server and the PC). The problem is the asymmetrical I/O between the input and output on just this server. There are no overruns being reported in the DNAS logs. It is only using 25% of the CPU, at it's busiest. The kernel processes are not too active.

Winamp (set to realtime priority) is the latest beta v5.7 build 3444.

I have been working on this particular issue for almost 2 years and have tweaked the buffering on the input and outputs, used 3rd party input and output plug-ins (now back to running the Winamp defaults) and this is the best I can get it.

Anything else you need to know?
Old 31st August 2013, 09:57   #4
DrO

so you're not using Winamp for broadcasting and just for playback / passing on to the FM broadcast?? as your first post implied you're using Winamp as the source and not SAM Broadcaster as now mentioned.

setting Winamp to realtime is not going to help if the most likely point of the buffering is the source -> DNAS aspect so i'd drop it back to it's default value than leaving it on that (and wouldn't be surprised if that's causing issues as it'll take time from the DNAS and other aspects of the system).

and something sitting at 25% implies a maxed out CPU core on a quad-core CPU... so there potentially is an issue with resources which would also be able to cause buffering.

the only real option is to try a v2 DNAS using buffertype=1 and adaptivebuffersize=5 in the configuration file and see how that goes. as the v1 DNAS has fixed buffer sizes and from what i've been testing internally, the adaptive option is generally better in cases which come close to what you seem to be experiencing (though no guarantees).

it's not clear if you're allowing the DNAS to be accessible, so you may need to set publicserver=never in the config file as well (if it's meant to be publically listed then http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcas...ash_Management would need to be followed otherwise even the localhost connection will not be able to connect).

you can replace the sc_serv.exe (though probably best to keep a copy of the old DNAS file just incase of issues) and will need to run sc_serv.exe sc_serv.ini (can just put that in a text file and name it start.bat to run it) as the current build of the v2 DNAS which you can get won't auto-load config files like the v1 DNAS did.
Old 31st August 2013, 10:06   #5
andhow

"The encoder is on our media server in our studio. " <---This is SAM Broadcaster running on a completely separate dedicated server in our studio. Not using Winamp for broadcasting.

Winamp & DNAS are on a dedicated server also running a StereoTool plug-in, as to process the required pre-emphasis for our FM broadcast as per the government regulations. There is also a title export to text plug-in an a small app that injects this into the RDS on the transmitter. Again, it is WAY over-spec'd with resources and it is a dedicated machine for just this purpose.

The DNAS is just streaming the one slot to the instance of Winamp on a private LAN & it is not publically listed.

I will give v2 a try. That is the one thing I haven't done yet.
Old 31st August 2013, 10:17   #6
DrO

i can only go on information you're providing so i'm having to just guess at things. as you say, it probably is an over-spec'd machine but if there's a chance most things are running on the same core (the peaking at 25% is implying that is happening) then other than trying to change process affinities and all that fun, then it's possible that is causing some of the issues.

so on the additional information now provided, you're doing a lot more processing of things than was implied at the start (as i know from experience that StereoTool can use a lot of CPU time).

and with that, i'm now logging of the forums for the rest of the weekend (shouldn't be on here anyway at this time of day).
Old 31st August 2013, 11:08   #7
andhow

I have tested without StereoTool and get the exact same results.

I also have tried using different CPU affinities, running Winamp and DNAS on separate cores, etc. No change. Running in Realtime removes the lag in the AGC processing I have noticed actually, it also increased the average amount of time before the stream playback would play before the buffer was exhausted. I have had nothing but positive results from increasing the priority.

Cheers.
Old 2nd September 2013, 01:56   #8
andhow

However, I have decreased the priority based on your advice.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support