Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 10th September 2013, 23:05   #1
porkstirfry

Everything named perfectly, but how to get the album art???

Hi there, I have artist/song title/album and everything named perfectly on Winamp. Now that I have that, I am wondering how to get ALBUM ART for all my 4000 + songs. I would appreciate somebody telling me how to achieve this in the most efficient manner, as you can see i have plenty of songs.

Many thanks!
porkstirfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 18:11   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi porkstirfy,

Winamp no longer searches for album art itself.

You can use the free version of "Media Monkey". It can search multiple online sources using the tag metadata in each of your files and present you several images. You select the one you want and either embed it into each album file or copy it to the album folder the files are in. Only use '.jpg' images.

It may have a batch mode, I don't remember. I always use embedding and do my files one at a time, since automatic searches sometimes come up with the wrong image. If you copy images to each album folder (1 per folder), rename the image to "folder.jpg".

"Mp3tag" can also search multiple online sources and it has a batch mode.

Be aware that Windows can and will overwrite folder images from time to time. It is not known what triggers these overwrites, so it may be worthwhile to enable each folder image file's 'read only' property.

Select image resolutions that are just large enough to look good at the sizes you will be displaying them at, but don't go for the largest resolutions available. Each displayed image uses some system RAM once displayed during each Winamp session (even if it is no longer actively being displayed). If you use views that display multiple images and/or display a lot of high resolution images one after another, Winamp may run out of available RAM and crash. As a 32-bit app, Winamp is limited to the maximum amount of RAM it can use, even if your computer has more available for use.

There is a Winamp plug-in (1st link below) for embedding images that you find on your own. A great site for finding high quality images (2nd link below).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=357457

http://www.albumartexchange.com/

Good luck.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 20:05   #3
porkstirfry

Hi thanks for replying, I'll take a look in a bit, seems like a bit of work to be done.

I forgot to say that, I have imported all my music from iTunes to Winamp. Everything had artwork on iTunes, But when imported to Winamp it only shows artwork for some albums. and for some, it shows the wrong artwork!

Any ideas?
Old 11th September 2013, 22:04   #4
DrO

Wnamp's import can only work with the artwork it can find in the same folder or as part of the in-file tags. it sounds (though i don't know as i don't have iTunes installed) that they may have a separate artwork cache which would explain the disparity (and why you're seeing the wrong artwork as that's what's probably in-file tag which their cache overrode).

no idea on how to work around that or get at their cache to sort out your things unless they have a means to embedded the artwork into the tags and then a re-scan of the files in Winamp's library would then be able to see the artwork. but i have a feeling that won't work.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 23:01   #5
porkstirfry

DrO thanks for your reply

I am kinda stumped i know but thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 23:12   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

I forgot to mention that the images Windows puts in folders are hidden by default. That may help explain why Winamp may have imported some wrong images (in addition to DrO's suggestions). Winamp looks for embedded images first. Then, if finding none, looks for folder images with certain names. There is a list of the names and order of look up. I don't remember exactly where it is, but you can do a forum search for it.

Turn on the Windows Explorer options to display hidden and system files (and file extensions, if necessary). Then look in the music folders for images that should not be there. It is safe to delete them. After you are done, turn off the options to display hidden and system files. As I said before, Windows may put some back over time (part of it's effort to be helpful in setting up folders based on their contents, ).

I have not used iTunes in years, so don't know what it currently does with artwork.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support